APPROVED
The Tides at Cordova Bay
Use: condo
Address: 986-990 Doumac Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (2BR, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: pre-sales
The Tides at Cordova Bay is a four-storey condominium building along the 900-block of Doumac Avenue at Cordova... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Tides at Cordova Bay on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] The Tides at Cordova Bay | Condos | 4-storeys

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

“There is a grave concern about traffic, noise, speeding and growing congestion on Cordova Bay Road,” longtime resident Jessica Ball told council.

Ball and several other residents conveyed concern to council about the smallest of the developments — a proposal to put 25 condos at 986 and 990 Doumac Ave., now occupied by two 1950s houses.

The project’s proposed height of four storeys — down from five — is “excessive,” said resident Sharon Darroch. “I am concerned where the atmosphere of the village is going.”

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.FNHILpTk.dpuf

Jeepers Creepers, I guess we should build a wall around Cordova Bay.

This development will replace two crappy rental houses. I wonder where Jessica Ball and Sharon Darroch live? 

Here is what's there now. 

https://www.google.c...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Nparker and Jill like this

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

An over-arching plan for traffic management is required, he said, given the shopping centre alone would have 320 parking spaces, the majority underground, and drivers will rely on Doumac Avenue for access.

I wonder what his vision is for an "over-arching" plan for traffic management?

There is one main road...and that main road is mainly used as a short cut from Gordon Head to Sidney.

#3 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Don't have any serious qualms about the proposal for the 2 lots neighbouring the shopping mall on Doumac, currently occupied by two small rental properties with significantly overgrown shrubbery and bushes all around them. If only they would do something with that property on the corner, that they've been remediating for the past 20-odd years after the gas station left.

The shopping plaza has long been due for an upgrade, so I welcome the redevelopment of that property. I'm not sure if a grocery store of that size (17,000 sq ft) will really be sustainable, but who really knows. Perhaps it'll be more of an "if you build it, they will come" type of thinking. 

I was initially concerned that perhaps this would add significant traffic to the area, but I suppose when they built the Ridge and the condos up there, there wasn't any drastic increase in vehicles on the road. 

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#4 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

For real?

Was this this for the commercial project or Duomac?

This was for the two lots on Doumac, the commercial project hasn't gotten to the hearing stage yet. Article in the TC today, as per the developer they pulled out in order to address and speak with residents about some of their concerns. 

http://www.timescolo...nute-1.10208795

#5 3isenough

3isenough
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

This statement says it all.... A lot of these residents can't, won't and don't want change. 1998 was almost 20 years ago....

"The community is also concerned about a larger development immediately south of Doumac, Millard said, where the Tru Value shopping plaza at 5124 Cordova Bay Rd. is zoned for 88 condos atop ground-floor retail and commercial development. That would require council’s approval because the original development application in 1998 was for only 16 condos."
See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.KHDnHa91.dpuf

#6 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

Although I'm completely for a limited development of the area, the rendering of the shopping centre proposal is ridiculously huge, and will never be accepted by the locals. It's totally out of place in the neighborhood.

Even though the neighborhood is hardly untouched in terms of development (see Sayward Hill, Matticks Wood, and Hill Rise just to the immediate South of Sayward Hill), these local residents don't want to actually LOOK at the development, they want it either hidden away in the trees, or invisible over a tall rise.

The development of the two houses on Doumac should proceed as is, it will be a nice addition to the block and there's nothing to preserve in a couple of old dumps.

The development of the shopping centre requires a complete re-do, as it's way too tall, and has grossly inappropriate massing for the location.

This shopping centre location doesn't permit the development to "hide" like Sayward Hill or Matticks Wood, so the building will have to reflect the rural, beach community, "away from the madding crowds" feel that folks who live in Cordova Bay definitely want to maintain.

Something needs to be done in Cordova Bay Village to actually make it into a Village (it isn't really anything right now), and there's not a lot of opportunity to do much in the surrounding area (the shopping centre, the old gas station lot that's been empty for years now) and an old shack here and there that can be torn down are all that come to mind.

Perhaps the old grocery store by the Cordova Bay Park (the one on the beach) to the East could be redeveloped into something nice, but other than the shopping centre, those kinds of lots are relatively tiny despite whatever zoning might let them be something other than a SFD.

I support the "back to the drawing board" concept for the proposed redevelopment of the shopping centre ... if only because what's proposed will NEVER fly with the local residents.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

There is a public hearing this coming Tuesday September 12 at 7:00 PM in the Saanich Council Chambers to discuss the rezoning of two Doumac properties to allow a 4 story 25 unit condominium. 

Details here. http://www.saanich.c...ordova-bay.html

There is a local group that does not seem to support this type of growth in the neighbourhood. I for one think that it is ideal. I have sent the following letter of support to clerksec@saanich.ca If you live in the area or you just want to share your opinions, I suggest you do so.

Re: D.2. Zoning Bylaw 2003, Amendment Bylaw 2016, No. 9412 Rezone 986 and 990 Doumac Avenue

Dear Mayor and Council

I would like to declare my support for this project, and agree with the recommendation to approve submitted by the planning staff.

I grew up in Cordova Bay and worked in Cordova Bay some 45-50 years ago. During that period there seemed to be a lot more activity in the region, but this has been declining over the years. At the time there were three gas stations, many stores and shops, a barber shop, and even a doctor’s office. Over the years since then, this vibrant neighbourhood has continued to diminish.

The late Mrs. Life, a long-time resident and business woman of Cordova Bay, acquired the two subject properties when she owned and operated the old general store as a pottery and arts store. She envisioned that one day they would be developed into a multi-residential building that would add to the area’s population. This proposed project would accomplish that vision.

I can appreciate that there will be some respondents that would like to convince you that this type of growth is inappropriate for their neighbourhood, but I urge you to question the reasons of why they might take such a position, and decide for yourself if this project would add or detract from the community as a whole.

This site is ideal for improvement. If not here, then where? If not now, then when?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Nparker, rjag, AllseeingEye and 3 others like this

#8 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

[/quote]
"I grew up in Cordova Bay and worked in Cordova Bay some 45-50 years ago. During that period there seemed to be a lot more activity in the region, but this has been declining over the years. At the time there were three gas stations, many stores and shops, a barber shop, and even a doctor’s office. Over the years since then, this vibrant neighbourhood has continued to diminish."

Currently there are stores, shops, barber shops (x 2) and yes, a doctor's office. Missing the 3 X gas stations.

The site is ideal for improvement and needs it, but maybe not at such a large scale. This neighborhood is vibrant and at times, much too busy.

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

There is a public hearing this coming Tuesday September 12 at 7:00 PM in the Saanich Council Chambers to discuss the rezoning of two Doumac properties to allow a 4 story 25 unit condominium. 

Details here. http://www.saanich.c...ordova-bay.html

There is a local group that does not seem to support this type of growth in the neighbourhood. I for one think that it is ideal. I have sent the following letter of support to clerksec@saanich.ca If you live in the area or you just want to share your opinions, I suggest you do so.

Re: D.2. Zoning Bylaw 2003, Amendment Bylaw 2016, No. 9412 Rezone 986 and 990 Doumac Avenue

Dear Mayor and Council

I would like to declare my support for this project, and agree with the recommendation to approve submitted by the planning staff.

I grew up in Cordova Bay and worked in Cordova Bay some 45-50 years ago. During that period there seemed to be a lot more activity in the region, but this has been declining over the years. At the time there were three gas stations, many stores and shops, a barber shop, and even a doctor’s office. Over the years since then, this vibrant neighbourhood has continued to diminish.

The late Mrs. Life, a long-time resident and business woman of Cordova Bay, acquired the two subject properties when she owned and operated the old general store as a pottery and arts store. She envisioned that one day they would be developed into a multi-residential building that would add to the area’s population. This proposed project would accomplish that vision.

I can appreciate that there will be some respondents that would like to convince you that this type of growth is inappropriate for their neighbourhood, but I urge you to question the reasons of why they might take such a position, and decide for yourself if this project would add or detract from the community as a whole.

This site is ideal for improvement. If not here, then where? If not now, then when?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Rejected, 8-1, after a 5 hour long Public Hearing

Edited by Jackerbie, 18 October 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Rejected, 8-1, after a 5 hour long Public Hearing

For the spiffy little building? Honestly, that's crazy. Inane, immature, irresponsible... insert your adjective of choice here.
http://www.timescolo...nute-1.10208795

Anyway, it sends a very clear message. People in Cordova Bay don't want spiffy little buildings in Cordova Bay. Except for Mattick's Farm. The spiffy little buildings at Mattick's Farm are fantastic. The spiffy little buildings at Mattick's Farm define Cordova Bay. But that's where spiffy little buildings are supposed to be. Unless, of course, they weren't already there. If the spiffy little buildings at Mattick's Farm weren't already there then they'd be unacceptable. Destroyers of neighbourhoods, destroyers of worlds, etc.

But otherwise, the message is very clear.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, nagel and 2 others like this

#11 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

Seeing Councilor Haynes flip flop the way he did was sad to watch. He wants to be the next mayor??? 

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Very disappointing.  A lot of you don't agree with Helps, but you have to admit at least she stands by her vision, instead of folding like a cheap tent if 24 people show up to sh!t on someone's plan that actually aligns with the overall vision.  Saanich council has clearly shown they will capitulate with even a low level of opposition.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, nerka and 1 other like this

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

Greater Victoria - the only place on the planet where a significant proportion of the population (still) absolutely loses their s*** over a 4-story building.

I have to presume these folks visit and/or vacation in desert's or forests or tundra or undersea or possibly even in low earth orbit because *clearly* there is no way they could they ever survive in alien places like cities - you know, real cities such as New York or Chicago or London or Berlin or LA or Miami or Sydney or Bangkok or Shanghai or Hong Kong or Beijing or Dubai or Toronto or Montreal - or in any one of the 1,000,001 other cities where buildings higher than I can spit with a tailwind predominate. Clearly we delicate humans weren't meant to co-exist with such hostile, sterile and aesthetically unforgiving environment's.

Good for Cordova Bay: IMO they can keep their crappy, hillbilly, falling-down shack of a 'mall'. 

• Nparker likes this

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

Who voted yes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Plant.  Totally shocked me.

• lanforod likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Look, as much as people want to cry about housing shortage, most are fine with the drawbridge up.  I think that's why Goegeghan's message was not all that catchy.

• Nparker and nerka like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

Clearly that’s the case, right?

We could solve this housing “crisis” within three years and finally be done with it. Low vacancy rates have been an issue for a very long time now and the sole solution is density plus easing up on the containment boundary.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

Clearly that’s the case, right?

We could solve this housing “crisis” within three years and finally be done with it. Low vacancy rates have been an issue for a very long time now and the sole solution is density plus easing up on the containment boundary.

The containment boundary is doing exactly what it was envisioned to do. We might have to build a wall though.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

The containment boundary is doing exactly what it was envisioned to do. We might have to build a wall though.

They could build the wall on top of the sludge pipe to Hartland so that they only have to dig up the road once.

#20 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

8-1 is decisive so I wonder if redev of the Doumac site is absolutely dead. Something needs to be done with this currently dead prime space. Will a revised proposal or a brand new plan emerge? I hope so.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users