Local businesses permanently closed amid 2020 COVID-19 crisis

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

This thread will track business that did not survive COVID19.  Mostly local business, but I guess larger companies can also be mentioned here.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Old English Sweet Shop is perhaps the first.  is it odd/ironic that their landlord is the CoV?  not flexible on rent deferral?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

Oh man, would the candy shop in the conference centre fall under this? They announced they would be closing and not re-opening just as the provincial orders started to come in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

Oops we posted at the same time. That’s the place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

I think Cafe Bliss on Pandora was the first. They announced on March 16 they'd be closing permanently.

• Mike K. likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:47 PM

I think Cafe Bliss on Pandora was the first. They announced on March 16 they'd be closing permanently.

We feel Mayor Helps is the right choice for the future of our city. We’ve been in business for over a decade, and in the last four years we’ve been thriving in the climate conscious and business-forward Victoria that Mayor Helps is working to create. We believe in, trust, and support the direction Mayor Helps is taking Victoria.”

Shane Devereaux, Owner, Habit Coffee
Josh Miller Owner, Mo:Le Restaurant
Joe Cunliffe & Heather Benning Owners, Bliss Cafe

https://lisahelpsvic...rse-lisa-helps/

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

We feel Mayor Helps is the right choice for the future of our city. We’ve been in business for over a decade, and in the last four years we’ve been thriving in the climate conscious and business-forward Victoria that Mayor Helps is working to create. We believe in, trust, and support the direction Mayor Helps is taking Victoria.”

Shane Devereaux, Owner, Habit Coffee
Josh Miller Owner, Mo:Le Restaurant
Joe Cunliffe & Heather Benning Owners, Bliss Cafe

https://lisahelpsvic...rse-lisa-helps/

I guess that loyalty only gets you so far.

• rmpeers likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:52 PM

Bliss’ operators operate Be Love on Blanshard, btw.

If I recall correctly they closed because the future of the Pandora space was uncertain, but COVID certainly sped up that decision, it seems.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:17 PM

Be Love is the most bizarre menu...if you are into ground acorn infused zacon with a side of pumpkin seed pate then this is definitely the place for you

#10 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:31 PM

In times of stress people want comfort food, so burgers and pizza. The longer this goes on, all these vegan places will go out of business
  • Redd42, jasmineshinga and Victoria Watcher like this

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:06 PM

In tonight’s G&M

Service Canada has closed all of its centres across the country as employees refuse to work.

Banks have fielded more than 200,000 request so far for mortgage payment deferrals.

#12 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:53 PM

Be Love is the most bizarre menu...if you are into ground acorn infused zacon with a side of pumpkin seed pate then this is definitely the place for you

The pretentious/hippie/flow yoga name has always kept me away. Of course they were Helps supporters.
  • rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:22 AM

How is the takeout situation downtown? Who’s open and who’s not?

From what I’m hearing from industry folks is that without alcohol sales it’s not viable to offer takeout. For some it works, but a lot are struggling. The last thing you want to do is price a dish that was $18 at $23, then the delivery service adds its own fees and it becomes a tough sell.

Know it all.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:32 AM

the takeout alcohol always seemed odd. I’m not sure who is going to increase their inventories of bottles in the hopes of selling them marked up and delivered. cases of beer? difficult to deliver.

I will make some new predictions here.

35% of restaurants will close permanently if they are not permitted to re-open before May 1st.

50% if this goes past June 1st.

the larger pubs and restaurants will do best. like milestones or bard and banker or cactus club. smaller independents will close.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 06:34 AM.

• rjag likes this

#15 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

From what I’m hearing from industry folks is that without alcohol sales it’s not viable to offer takeout. For some it works, but a lot are struggling. The last thing you want to do is price a dish that was $18 at $23, then the delivery service adds its own fees and it becomes a tough sell.

they have more experience than me so they're probably correct but personally I'd be surprised if the majority could tell me the exact price of their menu item of choice excluding those who say order the same thing at the same restaurant every Friday or something. I can't think of anything like that (admittedly I don't eat out a lot) so I probably wouldn't notice an order I thought would be $18 being $23 instead.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:44 AM

I think everyone assumes a normal burger with fries will range from $14 to $18, but at $20+ most casual diners will stop and think about it.

I mean if you’re going to dine out a few extra bucks isn’t a big deal, but if you’ve lost your job and are on EI, dropping $100 for three dishes of food is not a priority. Even the industry folks who don’t mind spending the going rates with big tips when times are good are holding back. Their EI is less than $10 per hour if they have not been disclosing their tip revenues.

Know it all.

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

it’s $7.61/hr for the vast majority of non union servers.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:53 AM

That’s the wage or EI?

Know it all.

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:58 AM

that’s minimum wage x 55%. your “ei wage”.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 06:58 AM.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:00 AM

Does anyone have a compiled set of links to Provincial and Federal financial aid programs? Maybe we should start a “Financial Aid” thread where we can gather and share this type of information.

It could be helpful to some.
  • Bernard likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users