UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Village Green, phase 1
Use: rental
Address: 110 Menzies Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Village Green, phase 1 is part of a two-phase redevelopment of multiple properties along the 400-block of Niag... (view full profile)
Learn more about Village Green, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Village Green | 4 & 6-storeys | Rental

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

Primex is proposing a major redevelopment of Village Green at the corner of Menzies & Niagara in James Bay.

Details: 

Architect:  Continuum

Number of Units: 131 (including some 3-bedroom units) 

Height:  4-6 storeys

The 36 existing units would be torn down and residents have begun to receive notices to vacate. 

This hasn't been posted to Dev Tracker yet; does anyone have a rendering they could share in the meantime?

Note:  Information I've gathered so far is from JBNA's letter to the City:  https://drive.google...m7RcDh0jYtuLlo5

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 23 April 2020 - 01:23 PM.

• Kungsberg likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

Village Green is well past its best before date. The proposal is good but I think the neighbourhood could handle more density. Go a bit higher in sections and you could probably preserve more green space for the residents.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#3 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:43 PM

... does anyone have a rendering they could share in the meantime?

At the JBNA monthly meeting in January the developer presented site planning options only.

Below are the slides that they showed at that meeting (can be accessed on the JBNA website).

At the end are minutes from their meeting presentation, where they describe at the end what type of design they're going for - 'townhouse character', 3-4 storey along street front with front doors along street, higher buildings set back.

Note this is a 2-phase project.

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

Ah, very good. I think we’ve known about this one for a little while but it’s taken some time to make it out into the open. Village Green needs to be re-envisioned as much as Harris Green does. Both shopping plazas are in need of upgrades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Ah, very good. I think we’ve known about this one for a little while but it’s taken some time to make it out into the open. Village Green needs to be re-envisioned as much as Harris Green does. Both shopping plazas are in need of upgrades.

Mike, are you thinking of James Bay Square rather than Village Green?  The current Village Green is 36 units of rental only, and it's *south* of the separate James Bay Square mixed use development (managed by CapREIT)...

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

Oh geez you’re right!
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:05 PM

Depending on the plan for phase 2, I think Option 3 makes the best use of the site.

vg.PNG

Perhaps I am not reading the renderings correctly, but it seems as all 3 options remove a couple of the existing houses along Niagara.

vg2.PNG

Could this be a sticking point for redevelopment?

#8 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

NParker, I believe that the developer (Primex) owns those houses on Niagara and likely acquired them over time to make these redevelopment feasible.

I think this project  would be the 2nd largest rental proposal in James Bay in recent years (excluding the CRHC development on Michigan Avenue, which is largely a replacement of existing housing stock) :  bigger than the rental component of Capital Park but smaller (by unit count) than the redeveloped Best Western ("The James"): https://jamesbayliving.com/

• Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#9 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

The developers (Primex) have filed for a rezoning and development permit; renderings should be available soon.

• Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#10 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

Plans are up now on Dev Tracker. 

The existing 60-year-old, 45-unit site would be demolished and replaced with a 131-unit "courtyard-style"  building with underground parking.  Heights are 4 storeys on Menzies & Niagara Streets and rise to 6 storeys for the northern portion (which is immediately adjacent to the "James Bay Square" development containing Thirfty Foods and a 7-storey tower). 

Rendering:

village green.png

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 13 July 2020 - 02:36 PM.

• Kungsberg likes this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

Is a second phase planned to replace the buildings along Croft Street?

VG croft.PNG

#12 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

Is a second phase planned to replace the buildings along Croft Street?

Yes, here's the complete concept

Capture.PNG

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:09 PM

Jackerbie, does the application apply to phase 1 only? Will there be 131 units in each of the two phases or both phases combined?

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 14 July 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#14 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

Jacket is, does the application apply to phase 1 only? Will there be 131 units in each of the two phases or both phases combined?

It looks like the application is for Phase 1 only, despite the Dev Tracker including the addresses for both phases. 131 units per phase seems more reasonable than 131 total units

#15 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

So the development, when built out, could include up to 260-ish units. I’m just wondering what Casey Edge would say about that? Isn’t this busting his narrative? 😉

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

I can imagine the folks at 132 Menzies in the 3-storey "Cedar" building between Village Green and Thrifty Foods won't be terribly keen on a 6-storey building going up only a few meters from them.

VG.JPG  

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,310 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

i believe this compensation scheme will be laughed out of city hall by this council.

The developer will initiate a tenant relocation plan that will compensate residents based on the length of time they’ve resided at Village Green. Residents who’ve lived in the building upwards of four years will receive three months of rent. An additional month of rent will be paid to residents of five-to-nine years. Five months will be paid to residents of 10-to-19 years, and six months for residents of 20-plus years.

Moving expenses of $500 for the single one-bedroom suite and $750 for two-bedroom suites will also be provided, as will tenant relocation services, the first right of refusal for residents to move back into the redeveloped building, while additional services for tenants with specific needs will be accommodated. - https://victoria.cit...rental-complex/

this council will insist on nothing short of a move-back-in plan at some low rent amount.

Edited by Mike K., 14 July 2020 - 10:30 AM.
Added source URL to post.

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

i believe this compensation scheme will be laughed out of city hall by this council.

this council will insist on nothing short of a move-back-in plan at some low rent amount.

The proposed tenant assistance package appears to be word for word what this Council adopted less than a year ago. If Council laughs at the developer, they'd be laughing at their own decision. https://www.victoria...e Sept 2019.pdf

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:39 AM

When fully built out (phase 1 and 2), I imagine this would be the largest rental project in James Bay ever built in terms of unit count...?

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:41 AM

If Council laughs at the developer, they'd be laughing at their own decision

So you're expecting them to laugh at the developer?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users