South Island Prosperity Partnership (SIPP) initiatives and issues

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

A business hub for the marine sector could be the anchor property in an under-used part of downtown Victoria that the city’s mayor says is the perfect location for an innovation district.

i agree wholeheartedly.  and luckily point hope/ralmax and victoria shipyards have deep enough pickets to build it if it makes sense.

https://www.timescol...oria-1.24171925

The Ocean Futures Innovation Hub would allow marine companies large and small to share resources, provide mentorship to marine start-ups and act as an incubator for growth, according to proponents of the project. The hub would be a key step in putting the West Coast on the map as a place where the marine sector can thrive and innovate for the future, said Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps.

SIPPS and the City of Victoria accelerated the request-for-proposals process because they believe the innovation hub could attract federal and provincial government funding as part of the post-pandemic stimulus plan, Helps said.

The innovation hub could diversify Victoria’s economy, which is heavily dependent on tourism, she said.

we don't need a post-covid stimulus plan using tax dollars.  we need to go back to normal now.

Helps said the project will work closely with Indigenous groups who have 12,000 years of knowledge with respect to the ocean.

usual pandering.

Dallas Gislason, director of economic development for the South Island Prosperity Partnership, said Canada has the longest coastline in the world, yet its marine industry drastically underperforms compared to smaller countries.

Norway’s ocean industry generated about $100 billion Cda for their economy in 2017 versus approximately $20 billion generated by Canada’s ocean industry the same year, according Gislason, based on Canada’s Ocean Strategy and a similar economic reports published by the Norwegian government. 

“Why are they outperforming us so heavily?” Gislason asked. “They invest heavily in the infrastructure, from research to commercialization to helping small and medium companies turn into big companies.”

they are outperforming because they have more people using a smaller coastline - all of europe.

The oceans innovation hub could attract marine companies from all over the world, bringing high-paying jobs to Victoria, Gislason said.

With many other industries suffering due to COVID-19, including the arts and entertainment industry and sports industry, it’s critically important to boost other sectors to spur the economic recovery, Gislason said.  

entertainment and arts and sports will be back as soon as the damn government says it's ok.  certainly years sooner than even a site will be selected for this white elephant.  

i understand the sipp has to be seen to be doing something for all the tax money they get.  but try harder to come up with something that makes sense.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

My sense out in the community is a lot of business people are looking at SIPP and scratching their heads.

If you really want to interweave the First Nations into this ocean program, wouldn’t it make far more sense to situate such a facility on marine land along the shoreline of any one of the half-dozen nations that have under developed shorelines in our region? That could also tap into much larger projects and federal monies.

Why this has to be situated within the City of Victoria and not anywhere else in the Capital is one of the frustrations I keep hearing in relation to SIPP, how it’s overwhelmingly focused on one municipality but draws money from the region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:43 AM

First Nations into this ocean program, wouldn’t it make far more sense to situate such a facility on marine land along the shoreline of any one of the half-dozen nations that have under developed shorelines in our region? That could also tap into much larger projects and federal monies.

brilliant.

beecher bay

sooke

port renfrew

esquimalt 

songhees

and the 3 or 4 on the peninsula could do well to develop their marine resources.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 July 2020 - 06:47 AM.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

My sense out in the community is a lot of business people are looking at SIPP and scratching their heads.

If you really want to interweave the First Nations into this ocean program, wouldn’t it make far more sense to situate such a facility on marine land along the shoreline of any one of the half-dozen nations that have under developed shorelines in our region? That could also tap into much larger projects and federal monies.

Why this has to be situated within the City of Victoria and not anywhere else in the Capital is one of the frustrations I keep hearing in relation to SIPP, how it’s overwhelmingly focused on one municipality but draws money from the region.

To understand the City and SIPP when it comes to projects like this you have to understand the UVIC mentality that they have inherited.

Everything is about funding. If the Feds are offering grant money to dress up like an ape and do a jig then that is what they will all do and promote the heck out of how good it is for the rest of us. Remember how SIPP and Helps told us that we were going to be a 'Smart City' or further back Fortin's initiative to take the same lands we are considering today for our 'Ocean Hub' and use them for a 'Renewable Energy Hub'? 

The 'industry Led Initiative' here is that if the Feds cough up money then industry will help spend it, but how many do you think offered to help fund the study when asked by the Mayor? Zilch, which is why the City and SIPP (ie us) have to cough up 100% of the $115K for a consultant. You would think that if there was so much support for this idea from Industry then a few would have come up with the $10K they were asked for.

The reason why this grant request will fail is exactly why the other requests failed. 40 stakeholders, led by Helps, will come up with such a convoluted, impractical solution that anyone with half a brain will see through it. Was it really a surprise that the Feds didn't share Helps' belief that a ride sharing service for FN kids who overslept and missed their bus to school (operated by a failed bike sharing company) was the next big thing?

I think what is driving a lot of this is FN ownership of the former Hydro lands. FN are going to have to pay property tax next year and will no longer have income from the CRD for the lands. They are probably putting pressure on Helps and the CRD to come up with more money.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:06 AM

well somebody is going to get that $115k. first grant right there.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

well somebody is going to get that $115k. first grant right there.

Yep. One would think that $115K to pay for extra security in the Gorge-Burnside area would have priority over a study. The fact that nobody from industry was willing to put any money into the "industry led initiative" tells you more than any study will.

• Nparker likes this

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

Looks like Helps' 'ocean cluster tech hub' party bus has come to a screeching halt. The Feds just gave UVIC $29M to fund their own 'ocean 3.0' initiative for the next 3 years. https://vancouverisl...earch-1.5032884

The second thing you learn about working with Universities on funding proposals is that as soon as they get their money, you are soon forgotten. They ain't going to share if they don't have to.

Edited by spanky123, 21 July 2020 - 02:07 PM.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

I wondered what that was about. Sounded parallel to Helps’ plan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

I wondered what that was about. Sounded parallel to Helps’ plan.

I guess there is a chance they decide to do something downtown with their $29M, but they already own the tech park in Saanich and have staff there. I don't see what added value they would get having a facility downtown.

Edited by spanky123, 21 July 2020 - 03:19 PM.

#10 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

I guess there is a chance they decide to do something downtown with their $29M, but they already own the tech park in Saanich and have staff there. I don't see what added value they would get having a facility downtown.

The University owns waterfront property downtown 506 Pandora Ave.

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:16 PM

The University owns waterfront property downtown 506 Pandora Ave.

Yeah and I know they have been talking for years about a campus downtown as well. Don't see it happening any time soon with Covid.

Edited by spanky123, 21 July 2020 - 04:16 PM.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

Mostly the talk is moving the Gustuvson School to downtown. I could see it, but a long ways away. Other options are a new building at UVic or an expansion of the current BEC building. They do need a lot more space.

#13 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

yes.  I've been to several SIPP events and I'm unsure about what they do.  My perception is it's now a tool for council and does their bidding, as led by M Helps who takes over any SIPP meeting she attends.

Call me nuts but I assumed a connection between SIPP and small business in our community - not that the business community is all that, it's not.  But small business is 38%+ of Canada's GDP and SIPP was (originally, not any more) a creature of the Vic Chamber of Commerce.  

Small business doesn't exist in any of the words or action I've observed from SIPP:  The measurements they adopted (or didn't) are telling as an indicator of what they've decided is/are important.  Last time I looked there wasn't one measurement to indicate whether the local business community is healthy or otherwise.  Prosperity was defined using a lot of the same language we see from TV, and heavily influenced by organizations favoured by council like bike orgs and environmental groups.  So many in the business community stopped paying attention years ago.

• Nparker, rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#14 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

SIPP & DVBA are pretty week and ineffective. Even the Chamber has lost its bite these past 5 years.

#15 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:30 PM

Why is that? Why are so many organizations dropping their primordial goals to seemingly please this mayor and council who clearly has zero respect or care for them.
  • Nparker likes this

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:39 PM

Why is that? Why are so many organizations dropping their primordial goals to seemingly please this mayor and council who clearly has zero respect or care for them.

funding. 

most of these organizations cannot raise enough money independent of government.  their membership does not sufficiently support them because they do not properly represent them.  they only survive at the behest of government.

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

It’s the makeup of the boards especially the executive that determines their focus... I’ll leave it up to your imagination

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Doesn’t the DVBA have a mandatory levy applied to every business within its jurisdiction? And with that being the case, does that not cover their budget?

Know it all.

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:00 AM

yes. but it’s just a surtax collected on top of property tax.

like you say it’s mandatory. that’s hsrdly membership-driven.

technically it’s not applied to business it’s applied to property owners. individual businesses can then buy a token membership. Few do. go to their AGM lunch and see who’s there, city and government officials and very big businesss owners (bc ferries empress hotel Wilson’s transport clipper etc.). small business does not show up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2020 - 02:04 AM.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:35 AM

Grumpy Taxpayers, which is heavily in support of SIPP, has been focused on Langford lately. Langford, of course, is one of two municipalities that did not agree to financially contribute to SIPP (the other being Metchosin). At issue is Langford not implementing live-streaming for council meetings. In its latest email, Grumpy promoted an upcoming CBC interview they had scheduled with a theme described as "Langford still resisting livestreaming."

The email also included links to content titled View Royal to join livestreamers: other councils take other routes, Why is Langford council so camera-shy?, and Langford residents join to oppose apartment building on single-family street.

And in an earlier email, Grumpy's Stan Bartlett was quoted as saying "By denying livestreaming for taxpayers - particularly during COVID-19 - it unfortunately allows a council to dodge or minimize public and media scrutiny," says Stan Bartlett, chair of Grumpy Taxpayer$."

But here's what Langford does provide: As Council Chambers are currently closed to the public due to COVID-19, we have added a call-in option for the public to attend and participate in Council meetings and public hearings. Please check our homepage (langford.ca) for the call-in information on the day of the meeting you wish to call-in for.

It's not a livestream, but it's certainly not something I would call an allowance to "dodge or minimize public and media scrutiny." The media most certainly can call in and listen; the public can call in and participate where participation is permitted. What's the problem?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users