Saanich couple faces $300,000 storm drain bill

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

Michelle and Simon Gowing map out the plans for their new Saanich house.

They bought the property in August and initially planned to renovate it. They completed the proper inspections and structural safety checks before buying, but after tearing up the floorboards, they found a cracked foundation, something not found in their inspection.

They decided to start from scratch and knock the original home down, but that’s when everything took a turn.

“We had all of our plans, our architect’s designed, we’d spoken with the municipality. We were ready to submit for the building permit and the demolition permit and at that point, when we did do those submissions, that’s when we were flagged,” Michelle said.

https://www.cheknews...nEhYYx6nOVCXxvU

whoops.  looks like someone should not have torn down the house.  anyway with some luck they can turn that lemon into lemonade.  maybe upgrade the storm system to a capacity they can run a lemonade manufacturing business on the property.  or maybe a distillery.  or both.  Saanich Lemon Gin.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2020 - 07:24 PM.

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

It's all about safety and making housing more affordable, right?

...$300,000 for one family is a lot, and usually this rule pertains more for subdivisions and large developments but admits this is a unique situation.

No problem, there's an easy fix. Allow a subdivision or a larger development there.

Wait, what? That wouldn't be allowed?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'm not a homeowner so am coming into this relatively uninformed. Does not the home owner's responsibility begin and end at the property line? So if Saanich is the one wanting the storm drain run up the street, then Saanich should be the one making it happen, and then the homeowner pays for connecting the property to the storm drain.

Saanich seems to be throwing their weight around on this, though I also think the homeowners may not have gone into this fully informed or prepared.

#4 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Administrative inflation has it’s price. Just wait until the full step code is in place too. I wonder what the carbon footprint is of all that extra foam that will be required?

#5 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:41 PM

I talked about this on another forum...

Have the owners hire a p.eng to design a rain garden with overflow into a rock pit. Force owners to connect when the city eventually installs storm. Holding them hostage when none of the existing homes on the street are hooked up to storm is ridiculous.

All the government does (all three levels) is put policies in place to make homes UNAFFORDABLE but all we hear about is AFFORDABLE housing....wtf.

Edited by MarkoJ, 25 October 2020 - 12:43 PM.

• aastra, sebberry, Matt R. and 3 others like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

All the government does (all three levels) is put policies in place to make homes UNAFFORDABLE but all we hear about is AFFORDABLE housing....wtf.

Going on ~75 years now.

• sebberry and Victoria Watcher like this

#7 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:25 PM

A happy ending to this story: Saanich Council approved a variance on a split 5-4 vote
  • Mike K., On the Level and newbie_01 like this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:27 AM

Shockingly for councillors didn’t support the variance? Wow. Do we have a voting break down by chance?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

Minutes aren't up yet, but you could watch the archived video. Meeting was on Monday.
  • Mike K. likes this

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

Shockingly for councillors didn’t support the variance? Wow. Do we have a voting break down by chance?

Chambers, Mersereau, Brownoff and Brice in opposition, apparently (I have not confirmed for myself)

Edited by Jackerbie, 13 January 2021 - 09:08 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

A happy ending to this story: Saanich Council approved a variance on a split 5-4 vote

https://www.cheknews...n-bylaw-733347/

seems like a fine result to me.  it's not like they are doing nothing to mitigate the storm run-off.  they are creating that rock thing.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Chambers, Mersereau, Brownoff and Brice in opposition, apparently (I have not confirmed for myself)

Funny how Mersereau campaigned, in part, on housing affordability yet opposed this cost saving measure for the family.
  • Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

https://www.cheknews...n-bylaw-733347/

seems like a fine result to me.  it's not like they are doing nothing to mitigate the storm run-off.  they are creating that rock thing.

Although you have to admit the story about a being unable to repair a crack in the foundation thus the house had to be demolished is a little fishy.

• Lorenzo likes this

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

yes I do. for first time homebuyers they suddenly became quite knowledgable too.

#15 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

Funny how Mersereau campaigned, in part, on housing affordability yet opposed this cost saving measure for the family.

Housing affordability doesn't apply to those who can actually afford to buy houses, obviously. 

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,877 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:31 AM

A young family has convinced Saanich to drop its requirement for a new $300,000 storm-drain system, allowing them to build a rock-filled trench on their property instead.

The decision removes a major obstacle to Simon and Michelle Gowing’s plans to build a new home on their lot at 1971 Ernest Ave., near Camosun College’s Lansdowne campus

https://www.timescol...stem-1.24268531

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 January 2021 - 06:31 AM.

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:44 PM

“Victoria firefighters free cat from drain pipe“

“..Firefighters used a jackhammer that the homeowner just happened to have in order to cut through six inches of concrete flooring...”:
https://www.cheknews...ictoria-735051/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users