PROPOSED
Factory Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 480-492 Esquimalt Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Factory Block is a proposal to build a six-storey mixed-use rental and retail project along the 400-block of E... (view full profile)
Learn more about Factory Block on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Factory Block | Rental; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:20 AM

Factory Block by Aryze Developments is a proposed residential strata development in Vic West @ 480 Esquimalt Road.  It will include 40 residential units + 7 live/work units and features industrial-inspired architecture.  

factoryBlock.png

• newbie_01 likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:22 AM

It looks like a hospital.

• sebberry likes this

#3 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:40 AM

Or the generic YMCA/YWCA buildings that you saw in many Canadian cities in the 1960s.
  • Nparker likes this

#4 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:46 AM

This project is going to include some manufacturing and warehousing space as well as some offices for Aryze (per the project's information brochure).  Residents will also get access to coworking facilities.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:04 AM

Well, the name if 'Factory' Block  :banana:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:25 AM

I like that Aryze is bringing more architectural variety to the smaller builds. I like the clean lines of this one, and the metal cladding with exposed concrete could be very striking. Much preferred over another spandrel box.

Based on the drawings, looks like the back units have sunrooms instead of balconies. Interesting touch!

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:49 AM

Being quite familiar with this area, the views from the residential units will be incredible. It's a superb location, and in fact that whole pocket of Vic West is one of the city's best kept secrets.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 10:54 AM

Being quite familiar with this area, the views from the residential units will be incredible. It's a superb location, and in fact that whole pocket of Vic West is one of the city's best kept secrets.

Not much for outsiders to do in the area and the semi-industrial vibe doesn't make it very appealing. Homes must still be pretty expensive methinks, I know there's a townhome complex there that's almost 40 years old but the homes go for well over a million.

Edited by Casual Kev, 24 March 2021 - 10:54 AM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

That's what makes it so cool, it's one of the most unique mixes of SFD residences next to industry next to apartments next to trails and just a block from the harbour. It's quite something, and super urbany in its own way.

• Dr. Barillas and m3m like this

Know it all.

#10 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:05 PM

Are we sure that image isn’t the building that’s being torn down?

It has that early 1970’s grimy institutional look, so if this is real, I guess it fits with the existing neighbourhood. Also reminds me of some of the permanent modular housing developments made out of shipping containers we’re starting to see pop up in various North American cities.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

D’Arcy Architecture sure digs the brutalism thing. I like many Aryze designs, and while I appreciate the mixed-use concept of this project, the architecture is not particularly inspiring, and I wish it wasn’t so institutional.

Maybe this is a result of the step code? Can PPP speak to this? I’d also be far more amenable to a lighter colour as opposed to 70s moustache brown :)

Know it all.

#12 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

Here’s an LA modular housing building for the homeless that has a similar vibe:

S160877-ExteriorView-Scene4-889x493.jpg

https://inhabitat.co...ess-population/

Oh wait, it’s actually completed, and turned out better than the rendering:

https://urbanize.cit...alvarado-street

Although someone commented about the $321,000 cost per unit being pricey for homeless housing..

#13 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

It looks like a hospital.

Our Lady of the Broken Fence. Visiting hours 14:00-16:00.

Aryze is building something in my neighbourhood that also features giant slabs of ground-level concrete. It's not awful, but it's not good.

#14 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:57 AM

Have a read through the application brief and then lets critique the architecture from an informed position: https://www.dropbox....eb Res.pdf?dl=0

Sablefish: I can only assume you are speaking about 430 parry which is like 20% done so maybe give the building a chance to get further along :)

#15 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

I really like it. 

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:03 AM

PPP, any other colour options that are on the table for the vertical lines?

Know it all.

#17 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

I really appreciate a lot of the work Aryze does but I'm not feeling the aesthetic on this one. Very institutional and imposing. The vertical elements remind me of the kinds of metal bars businesses put on their windows to prevent break-ins. Still an improvement on what's currently there.

#18 sablefish

sablefish
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 March 2021 - 06:32 PM

Sablefish: I can only assume you are speaking about 430 parry which is like 20% done so maybe give the building a chance to get further along :)

That's the one! It's at peak concrete right now, but what a lot of it for a smallish development. Factory Block has a similar kind of look: massed concrete on the bottom, surmounted by a thick shelf, and then what looks like a different building on top, but set back a bit. I'll give both designs credit for a certain ruggedness. Not a big fan of either at present, but maybe they'll surprise.

• PPPdev likes this

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

This proposal has been submitted for a formal rezoning request (today) and it has been substantially revised.  The proposal now calls for 85 rental units (rather than 40+ condo stratus units) and the massing has been broken up... it will have three industrial units on the ground floor.

A new look: 

factory block.png

• newbie_01 likes this

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:55 PM

Much improved.

• Kapten Kapsell and DavidSchell like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users