Highway 14 cellular services

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

The province has announced the Highway 14 corridor will get cell services by October 31st, from Otter Point to Port Renfrew.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,789 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

that sounds pretty good.

A notorious cell phone dead zone between Sooke and Port Renfrew should be eliminated by fall.

The province said wireless infrastructure along a 70-kilometre stretch of Highway 14 will be in place by Oct. 31, connecting more than 1,200 households as well as emergency responders and the thousands of travellers who frequent the beaches and trails along the route.

https://www.timescol...frew-1.24304159

Rogers Communications has been selected to receive up to $4.9 million to build the cell tower infrastructure.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2021 - 08:03 AM.

#3 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

Who said it doesn't pay to have the premier in your riding!

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

A highway rest area near the entrance to Sombrio Beach, a popular surfing hotspot, will be upgraded to provide a Wi-Fi connection, improving safety and convenience for people passing through or coming to enjoy a view of the ocean or a hike down the trails, the province said.

WiFi?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:38 AM

^ Yes....for surfing the web while surfing the waves. 

Kind of a wifi web and wave win/win. 

I know you are questioning the term wifi instead of LTE or 5G but hey you just need to bring your cellular web interface tool....aka phone.

#6 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:06 AM

The public pays for the tower infrastructure, Rogers builds it, but who owns it afterwards - Rogers, or the public?

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:25 AM

The public pays for the tower infrastructure, Rogers builds it, but who owns it afterwards - Rogers, or the public?

probably rogers along with a commitment to operate and maintain it under set terms for set timeline etc.

it's not like these have not been done before.  i'm sure they have a system and formula.  if they have some type of a bidding system it's probably about as fair as it can be. 

is it good value for consumer or taxpayers?  probably good arguments on both sides.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2021 - 02:25 AM.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

The other carriers then lease space, too.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:40 PM

The other carriers then lease space, too.

Not necessarily. Canadian carriers have domestic roaming agreements to address coverage gaps.

Telus & Bell won't necessarily have equipment on those towers in order to service their customers.

The calls can be routed through the Rogers network just like Rogers relies on other carriers to service remote areas ("extended coverage").

If you look at the Rogers coverage map it's all the areas identified with the lighter shade, eg Haida Gwaii, Northern BC, Yukon, etc.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:43 PM

Yup, for sure, it might go that way, too.

Know it all.

#11 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

Does this mean that you'll stop getting those annoying "Welcome to the USA" messages if you drive to Sooke?

#12 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

I would posit that the new infrastructure will reduce the accidental hook-up to an American cell tower, but with the incredibly rough country along the Highway #14 coastline, I would think that there are still plenty of clear sight-line shots across the Straight that will result in unwelcome "Welcome" messages. 

I guess it all depends on exactly how many cell towers they're planning on installing ... as that stretch of Highway #14 from Shirley to Port Renfrew runs in, out, and through of a lot of very deep creeks and draws.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:50 AM

Yup, it won't be perfect, for sure. Currently signals are lost and US signals picked up in all sorts of places between James Bay and Saanich along the coastal route. US signals tend to be stronger (I think), and they can travel very well over the expanse of the strait.

Know it all.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

us signals are stronger

their dollar is stronger

their beer is weaker

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:13 AM

For Highway 14 – seven new cellular towers will be built by Rogers to provide additional network coverage along the route from Sooke to Port Renfrew. This new highway coverage, as well as a Wi-Fi Hotspot at the Sombrio Rest Area, will provide essential connectivity to those who live, work and visit in this area of Vancouver Island. Construction begins this spring and is estimated to be complete by October 2021.

https://about.rogers...-and-14-in-b-c/

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:14 AM

What will cell service mean for Port Renfrew’s future?

Community leaders on Juan de Fuca coast voice gratitude—and concerns

https://www.capitald...ce-port-renfrew

#17 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:24 PM

Hi All, question about cell phone coverage on lower Vancouver Island. I've been a Rogers customer for 10+ years, but Telus has recently offered me a pretty good deal. After going back to Rogers, they are able to come close to it, but won't quite match it. I'm inclined to make the switch to Telus, but after some thinking, looking to get some insight as to which carrier has better service outside the city. So, two questions:

1) In your experience, what carrier provides better cell phone outside the city? I spend a lot of time in the woods, so I'm thinking deep into the Sooke Hills (the only place I can think of right now where my current phone will get spotty reception). Further up island, does one or the other tend to have better reception the more inland into the parks you get? ie Strathcona Park.

2) The recent news about Rogers building cell towers out towards Port Renfrew, does that mean only Rogers customers will get access to it? If I go with Telus, am I SOL if I head out that way?

Thanks!

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:05 PM

1) I used to be on Rogers but switched to Telus as I found their service more reliable when friends/colleagues had a signal and I didn't. My job takes me all over the place and in my experiences Rogers would cut out where as Telus remains. BUT I also found that your individual device can be a factor, too, so you might get some variability. Mrs. Mike K. uses Rogers so I have been able to compare instances where I have a signal and she doesn't on her Samsung something or other.

2) All carriers will have signals via the towers Rogers will install. Rogers got the installation contract but not a monopoly on service.

Hope that helps.

• marks_28 likes this

Know it all.

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

2) All carriers will have signals via the towers Rogers will install. Rogers got the installation contract but not a monopoly on service.

Hope that helps.

this might be quite typical of areas where it's not economical for many services to install their own towers.   but certainly in this case where they have been provided with a government subsidy to install equipment.

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:59 PM

is this thing on?

i need to know if my COVID vaccine can now receive the 5G signal out there.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2021 - 03:06 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users