Langford Gateway
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 2630-2646 Peatt Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 22
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
Langford Gateway is a proposal for up to four residential buildings rising to 22-storeys along the 2700-blocks... (view full profile)
Learn more about Langford Gateway on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Langford Gateway | Condos; offices; retail | 22-storeys

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:25 AM

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...ngford-gateway/

Langford-Gateway-Citified2.jpg

Langford Gateway, which could be constructed as a four-building project, is proposed for Peatt Road at Arncote Road. Heights of up to 22-storeys are envisioned for its first phase.

Tall towers with office space and over 700-units of residences proposed for downtown Langford

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

Looks like above ground parkades incorporated into both? Both very typical suburban Canadian residential towers, for better or worse. Langford Gateway at least seems to be better situated in terms of being tied into the ‘city’ fabric, but what’s with the awnings? And wasn’t it about 10-15 years ago we were promised all sorts of fantastical 20 to 40 storey towers in Colwood and Langford - even one named after the developers daughter if I recall that wasn’t half bad looking. The tower that is.
  • Nparker likes this

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:09 PM

The Michelle, I think?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:23 PM

Looks like above ground parkades incorporated into both? Both very typical suburban Canadian residential towers, for better or worse. Langford Gateway at least seems to be better situated in terms of being tied into the ‘city’ fabric, but what’s with the awnings? And wasn’t it about 10-15 years ago we were promised all sorts of fantastical 20 to 40 storey towers in Colwood and Langford - even one named after the developers daughter if I recall that wasn’t half bad looking. The tower that is.

Will there be more complaints over the building bringing in too many cars, or there not being enough parking for them? Looking forward to it!

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:33 AM

Seems there are neighbourhood objections. But Stew Young appears to be in favour.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

It’s a tough situation for residents. Imagine living in a SFD in downtown Victoria? It’s the same scenario now in downtown Langford, and yes, it’s becoming a bonafide downtown with all of the positives and negatives that come with it.

When you reside in a fast growing community, and are on the fringes of its central commercial core, you can reasonably expect that densification will happen. Being surprised by it, or not liking it, means you may not have been paying attention or just hoping change wouldn’t knock on your door, too.

And Young is right. The rest of the region talks the big talk on housing but they’re doing very little about it (Saanich has 3x Langford’s population and a huge land mass relatively speaking, but is adding housing at a rate of 1/3 that of Langford).

Know it all.

#7 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:49 AM

When you reside in a fast growing community, and are on the fringes of its central commercial core, you can reasonably expect that densification will happen. Being surprised by it, or not liking it, means you may not have been paying attention or just hoping change wouldn’t knock on your door, too.

That's the part the mystifies me... where have these people been? If you live within ~3 blocks of Goldstream and east of Jacklin, it's already been > 50% replaced with townhomes and apartments already...

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:31 PM

Peatt road is quite narrow right now, I hope there is a widening plan being undertaken.

• Danma and DavidSchell like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:56 PM

NO WAY!!!!|

#10 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:42 AM

Looks Great and very exciting to see a second downtown in the CMA being developed. 

#11 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:16 AM

Peatt road is quite narrow right now, I hope there is a widening plan being undertaken.

In general, this is gonna be a problem in the Langford core... Goldstream is only capable of so much capacity either.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

There may have to be a closure of the roundabout on Goldstream. I suspect Peatt may be three-laned at some point with a centre turning lane?

The best case scenario would be to finally give up on the silly train idea and to run transit buses via the E&N right of way. I can also see Langford Parkway eventually connecting to Sooke Road. Arncote will likely be connected and run between Deville and Veterans.
  • Danma likes this

Know it all.

#13 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

There may have to be a closure of the roundabout on Goldstream. I suspect Peatt may be three-laned at some point with a centre turning lane?

The best case scenario would be to finally give up on the silly train idea and to run transit buses via the E&N right of way. I can also see Langford Parkway eventually connecting to Sooke Road. Arncote will likely be connected and run between Deville and Veterans.

Is a train line between Langford and DT Victoria even possible since the Johnson bridge replacement?

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

Is a train line between Langford and DT Victoria even possible since the Johnson bridge replacement?

Come on. No where in North America sees such a short commute commuter train. It never works.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,733 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:34 PM

When did we start saying the rail route was too short? I'd say the opposite: the rail line was too long and meandering, at least 13 kilometres from the JSB through low-density areas of Esquimalt and View Royal before it hit any point in the west comms where it might even begin to be useful for anything. Back in the pre-JSB era when we all used to spend many hours per day doodling our idealized transit maps, it always seemed tempting to me to jump off the old route near the naval base, bypass View Royal altogether, and take a shortcut across Esquimalt Harbour.

Wonkypedia says:

Branch Line:

The line is a short branch of the Northeast Corridor Line, running from Princeton (NJ) Junction northwest to Princeton with no intermediate stops. Also known as the "Dinky Line", at 2.9 mi (4.7 km) it is the shortest scheduled commuter rail line in the United States. The run takes 4 minutes, 47 seconds.

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:46 PM

. I can also see Langford Parkway eventually connecting to Sooke Road. 

It already does.

#17 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

Come on. No where in North America sees such a short commute commuter train. It never works.

It's just under 15 kilometers between downtown Victoria and downtown Langford... if the line followed the highway, it would actually be longer than the recently-built Evergreen Line in the Tri-Cities and a bit shorter than the Canada Line in Vancouver/Richmond.

Either way, I was asking from a logistical perspective rather than an economic one. 

Edited by Casual Kev, 18 September 2021 - 08:36 PM.

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,779 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:27 AM

right. that line in New Jersey only carries 1,000 people per day.

the car or bus commute only takes 15 to 20 minutes now. who wants to take an even slower train?

commuter trains work where they are faster than road and/or the destination parking is very expensive. SFs BART, New York, Toronto’s GO.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2021 - 12:29 AM.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,419 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:44 AM

It already does.

It terminates at Veterans.

Know it all.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:43 PM

It terminates at Veterans.

You didn't specify which end, the other end of Langford Parkway connects to Sooke Road.

All you have to do is take a short drive on Veterans and turn left at Kelly road to connect to Sooke Road.

I'm pretty sure they won't put a road through the cemetery although I guess the residents wouldn't complain. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users