New Zealand to abolish single-family zoning in most cities

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:15 PM

The government shocked everyone yesterday as Minister of Housing Megan Woods and Minister for the Environment David Parker held a joint press conference in the beehive theatrette with Leader of the Opposition Judith Collins and Opposition Housing Spokesperson Nicola Willis.

The only thing more surprising was what they were actually announcing: New Zealand is abolishing single family zoning.

This is unequivocally fantastic. The government’s housing program, while good in many respects, has been plagued with a big hole which this reform will go a long way to fill.

Building on top of the NPS-UD, the government will be forcing councils to allow people to build as-of-right up to three homes of up to three storeys on most sites in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington, and Christchurch. This is similar to the rules we have in Auckland currently in the Mixed Housing Urban Zone (MHU) – our second densest residential zone, which makes up about a fifth of our residential land area.

https://www.greatera...ntensification/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2021 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

I wonder if New Zealand’s energy use will decline.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:12 PM

I wonder if the "state" will then take over the housing, you know, just to help out.

You can bet Lisa and Ben will be excited to hear this, and implement it.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:07 AM

They didn’t abolish the ability to build single family homes, they enabled more housing diversity on all lots. It’s the “exclusive” single family zoning part that has been removed

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

They didn’t abolish the ability to build single family homes, they enabled more housing diversity on all lots. It’s the “exclusive” single family zoning part that has been removed

Exactly. Important distinction.

Edited by spanky123, 22 October 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:57 AM

the thread title literally said the zoning was being abolished.

anyone intelligent knows that down-zone uses like single homes are allowed on higher density zoned lots.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2021 - 07:57 AM.

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:38 AM

Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart has called for the city to allow up to six homes on single-family lots, a year after a similar proposal was rejected by city council.

Stewart held a news conference to outline his newest plan to allow large detached houses to be converted or redeveloped into several units that could be rented out or sold as condos.

https://www.timescol...lots-1.24365491

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2021 - 08:39 AM.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

^ Well at least Vancouver acknowledges that such a change would increase the value of properties in the region. Wonder how he plans to "capture the increase in value" for the City?!

Like Victoria, the Vancouver zealots fail to appreciate that what it costs to build a building has nothing to do with its value in large markets. A developer is going to sell a property at the highest price the market will bear. The only time cost becomes a factor is if cost exceeds the price that a property can be sold for at a reasonable profit in which case it won't be developed in the first place.

The only thing market meddling has done in Victoria is drive up the cost of housing. 

Edited by spanky123, 22 October 2021 - 08:46 AM.

#9 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

Great move, blanket up-zoning needs to happen more often. It's rediculous that it takes a council vote to change a single-family lot to a duplex or 3 townhouses.

#10 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:02 AM

Early evidence of broad up zoning is that it tempers the per unit input of land for more housing. Our current approach drives up land way more post zoning approvals.

There are other merits for new housing / densification beyond just affordability 

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

I don't want my neighbour to build three houses on his lot, that's why I bought into a SFH zoned sub-division.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:11 AM

^ I think that everyone who owns property in a R1 zone should have a say in a zoning change.

In a true democracy everyone should have a vote on changes that will affect them.
  • LJ and spanky123 like this

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:29 AM

Great move, blanket up-zoning needs to happen more often. It's rediculous that it takes a council vote to change a single-family lot to a duplex or 3 townhouses.

From my reading New Zealand is banning SFH only designations. This is not blanket upzoning as Mayor Helps is proposing. Upzoning would still have to go through an approval process as it does here. 

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:31 AM

Early evidence of broad up zoning is that it tempers the per unit input of land for more housing. Our current approach drives up land way more post zoning approvals.

There are other merits for new housing / densification beyond just affordability 

I would think it would drive up costs and risks for developers. You are having to pay for land based on its highest use which would tie up additional up-front capital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users