Saanich Uptown area upzoning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,302 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:32 AM

Plan to transform area around Uptown, with towers up to 24 storeys, heads to public hearing

“Saanich has inherited an autocentric landscape and we’re looking forward to building our way out of that,” says Mayor Fred Haynes.

[attachment=32783:screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2022.01.21-11_33_09.png]

"Saanich has inherited an autocentric landscape, so we will concentrate our 'walkable village' around two major 6-lane highways and their 3 and 4-lane connector and feeder roads".   

Fail.

I'd rather see this done and Shelbourne/McKenzie, or Shelbourne/Cedar Hill X Rd., or Quadra/McKenzie, or (old) Royal Oak Shopping Centre or Tillicum Mall or Gorge/Tillicum.  Or almost any other place.

Now, I understand why they are trying here.  There are few neighbours to resist.

Heck, I'd love to see Cadboro Bay Village developed big time.  Can you imagine how amazing it would be?  Both the development, and the resistance.   It'd be as cool as Kitsalano but fought all the way along.

Here, I took a few hours to create a mock-up of my new CadVill.  I'm willing to raze all these houses:

[attachment=32786:screenshot-www.google.com-2022.01.21-11_45_44.jpg]

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2022 - 08:52 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:37 AM

Councillor Ned Taylor quoted a Twitter post in agreement just the other day, saying grid networks of roads are for ease of patrolling the citizenry and large enough to accommodate tanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:40 AM

Ned Taylor is sounding more and more like Saanich's version of Ben Isitt. Our area really does attract some rather poor quality people to public office.

• phx and DavidSchell like this

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:32 PM

would be sweet if we could stick that whole network of major roads underground and build above it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users