Fernwood, North Park and Quadra-Hillside density/housing push

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 02:56 AM

The City of Victoria will consider adopting new neighbourhood plans for Fernwood, North Park and Quadra-Hillside to help create new and diverse housing options.

The committee of the whole voted Thursday to move forward with new plans for the three neighbourhoods, which could mean new housing options, new housing designation zones focusing on rental housing and affordability, increased density and new “village” areas.

The new plans paint a picture of increasing housing capacity in several zones, in some cases allowing more multi-family projects in traditional residential zones.

A staff report presented to council said there could be a significant increase in housing capacity along Bay Street, Finlayson Avenue and Quadra Street, and throughout Fernwood and North Park. There would also be enhanced village centres along Bay Street, Hillside Avenue and within Fernwood and North Park that would offer more opportunity for new shops and services to serve a growing population.

https://www.timescol...-crunch-5341643

The plans can be viewed at engage.victoria.ca/fernwood-north-park-hillside-quadra

According to a staff report, which acknowledged the city is behind in addressing people’s housing needs, the city is expected to add 11,300 new households between now and 2040.

Statements like that are a bit bizarre or abstract to me.  

If we built zero new housing by 2040, we'd still be fine.  

Oak Bay, Metchosin and Esquimalt and Central Saanich are not expecting to add a 10-15% population jump over that period, and will they be worse off for that decision?  Will Victoria somehow be better off with this increase?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2022 - 03:05 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:31 AM

That’s not a lot per year, actually. Way below what we’ve been building since 2015.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:42 AM

I just mean it’s odd that the “city is expected to add” as a way of phrasing it.

If there is not sufficient land offered up, there won’t be that amount added.

The report makes it sound like its inevitable, so better create new zoning for it.

It’s not the approach the other municipalities I mentioned are taking. And they are becoming the most desirable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2022 - 07:43 AM.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:46 AM

You're forgetting the thousands of homeless people from across the country who will be invited to the CoV in the next 20 years.

Edited by Nparker, 07 May 2022 - 07:46 AM.

• Barrrister and AJ Common Sense Advocate like this

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

^^ I don't get what you are saying? If they don't upzone the land then we run out of space to build higher density. The impact of not doing it is increasing housing prices and also adding more people to the city is beneficial in creating a more vibrant Victoria. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:44 PM

G-Man, great even more vibrant people without doctors and crowded hospital spaces. Sorry forgot you are a shill for the developers.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:02 PM

Hey, Barrister, cool your jets. That’s uncalled for.
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:01 PM

I wish. Shill's get paid. If I could make some income on my personal opinion that would be awesome.

But really we don't live in a vacuum, people want to move here so why not take advantage of it

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users