Esquimalt / Oak Bay / Saanich / Saan Pen | 2022 municipal elections

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 08:13 AM

Please discuss the candidates and news/issues pertaining to the 2022 election in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 08:14 AM

Please discuss the candidates and news/issues pertaining to the 2022 election in this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

Barb Desjardins is running again. Seems likely that, just like 2014 and 2018, she won't face a serious challenger. I've only heard about one non-incumbent organizing to run for Council and I'd say they have a decent shot. 

• Mike K. likes this

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:52 AM

Geoff Orr says he won't run for mayor again in North Saanich

North Saanich Mayor Geoff Orr said Tuesday he won’t run for re-election this fall. Orr, who served a four-year term as councillor before winning the mayor’s seat in 2018, said he made the decision after considerable thought.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2022 - 01:53 AM.

#5 Sarah Riddell

Sarah Riddell
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCentral Saanich

Posted 28 June 2022 - 12:37 PM

Good afternoon,

I am excited to share that I am running for Central Saanich Council this fall. I am a first-time candidate with Masters degrees in Public and Health Administration and more than 15 years of experience evaluating and working to improve a range of health and social policies, programs, and systems in British Columbia. I am an enthusiastic trail runner and active member of our regional outdoor community. I live with my partner, Evan, and our two young children, Alicia (4) and Clayton (1) in Brentwood Bay. 

So far, running for Council has been a gift. I have met so many warm people and learned so much about our community. I've heard that housing, health and community services, road safety, active transportation and parks and trails are priorities. I've also heard that the past few years have been very tough on our local businesses and farms and now is the time for some extra support. I'd love to hear what's top of mind for you, and what worries you too. If you would like to learn more or connect, I'm available at sarahriddell.ca, @voteriddell on Facebook, instagram and twitter, and voteriddell@gmail.com. 

Many thanks and best wishes,

Sarah

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:14 AM

Capital Daily:

Election update:
Last Friday, Chris Munkacsi became the first person to step forward as a candidate for Esquimalt council. Munkacsi said, in a statement, he has lived in Esquimalt for 14 years, and has been a director of the Esquimalt Residents Association, a member of the Esquimalt Chamber of Commerce, and a commissioner on the Township’s Advisory Planning Commission.

"Now more than ever, our focus needs to be on our global climate and our community’s people and to keep Esquimalt affordable, financially responsible, and environmentally livable," Munkacsi wrote.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 July 2022 - 06:14 AM.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:21 AM

Even if all of Esquimalt's residents disappeared from the face of the earth, the effect on global climate would be negligible.

Edited by Nparker, 11 July 2022 - 06:22 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#8 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:05 AM

Even if all of Esquimalt's residents disappeared from the face of the earth, the effect on global climate would be negligible.

As (just, by the slimmest of margins...) an Esquimalt resident I resent that remark: all Esquimaltians matter.....!

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:10 AM

Matter yes; impact on global climate, all but nil.

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:21 AM

Matter yes; impact on global climate, all but nil.

fa·ce·tious - /fəˈsēSHəs/ adjective treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
"a facetious remark"

:)

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:55 AM

I wasn't being facetious. There are fewer than 18,000 residents in Esquimalt. This is an infinitesimal percentage of the world's population. 

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:58 AM

Less than three minutes-worth of global deaths, which is around 7,500 per minute.

Know it all.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:09 AM

For the record, I have nothing against the residents of Esquimalt. Nevertheless, a candidate focusing their municipal election campaign on global climate is at best, virtue signaling and at worst, misguided in the manner of the existing CoV council.

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:11 AM

I wasn't being facetious. There are fewer than 18,000 residents in Esquimalt. This is an infinitesimal percentage of the world's population. 

Geez...NPArker it must be Monday morning - I'm well aware you weren't being facetious - MY response was facetious......c'mon get with the program here my man, lol

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:15 AM

In light of the sometimes exaggerated responses to posts here on VV, I suppose I did not immediately recognize your post as facetious AsE. Also, in my defense, I had not yet had my first cup of coffee when I read your post above.

#16 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:17 AM

Maybe he can do like the Netherlands is doing to the cows and mandate that hey produce 50% less poop. 

• Nparker likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:40 AM

Have the West Shore forests not been logged, and re-logged over the years? I don’t think the region is surrounded by old growth.

2893F421-99EE-4EC5-97B6-A96B2B3815C1.jpeg

Know it all.

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,862 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:40 AM

4/7? 2/7 at best.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:52 AM

I thought 4/7 meant he is willing to work 4 hours/day, 7 days/week to serve his constituents. I think this is refreshingly honest.  :lol:

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 09:56 AM

Because Twitter is elitist, when someone has something to say beyond a sound bite they make threads and identify which post of the thread you’re reading, so in this case it’s 4th out of 7.

It can get really entertaining when the Twitter police shows up after you’ve added a post or two to your initially identified, self-chosen allotment.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users