• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:17 AM

Seattle Times:

Seattle starts construction on ‘Overlook Walk’ from Pike Place Market to downtown waterfront

Seattle has started work on a new pedestrian bridge that will connect Pike Place Market to the downtown waterfront. The bridge will include slopes and a new elevator in addition to stairs, according to the Office of the Waterfront, which says the space will serve as a sort of “elevated park.” Here's a look at what the city has planned.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 10:17 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:21 AM

No link!  :(

#3 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:23 AM

It’s part of their agenda.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:26 AM

No link!  :(

Tough crowd.  Last time I linked the ST everybody gave me grief for the paywall.

HERE is one with no paywall:

https://www.kiro7.co...TCFQUPEZIBY6LI/

Known as the Overlook Walk, the new bridge over Alaskan Way is described as both an elevated park and a walkway that will feature sweeping views of Elliott Bay, public plazas, informal spaces for people to rest and a new elevator.

The walkway will be accessible and have gradual slopes, terraced landscaping with native plants, a new café, protected areas with seating, and slides and other features for kids and families.

screenshot-www.kiro7.com-2022.06.22-14_27_58.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 10:28 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:41 AM

And here's a second image just for good measure.

bridge2.jpg

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

Wish we could have something like this connect those banal Wharf Street parking lots with Bastion Square.

• max.bravo likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:45 AM

What Seattle really needs there is a giant mid-block walkway, not this plaza :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:23 AM

Seattle Times:

Seattle starts construction on ‘Overlook Walk’ from Pike Place Market to downtown waterfront

Seattle has started work on a new pedestrian bridge that will connect Pike Place Market to the downtown waterfront. The bridge will include slopes and a new elevator in addition to stairs, according to the Office of the Waterfront, which says the space will serve as a sort of “elevated park.” Here's a look at what the city has planned.

So aastra is always suggesting that we should be getting off our asses and getting photos of projects that we talk about here on VV.

So we did just that...and not an easy one I must say.

Here is a shot of the project that Victoria Watcher referred to in his post above. It’s the start of the new walkway between Pike Place Market and the waterway on Alaska Way.

What do you say about that aastra even though it just shows them getting started?

Seattle.jpg
  • Mike K. likes this

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:56 PM

Is this where they took down the viaduct a couple of years ago?

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:07 PM

Yes.

• Matt R. likes this

#11 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:50 AM

Yes, then I was there last in 2019 that work was underway. I saw an excavator or similar going at it. Going down there for the Blue Jays series next week, will be interesting to see the changed landscape.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#12 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

Yes I was in the same spot 2019 for some concerts. Pretty interesting watching them take it down, lots and lots of people stopped to watch.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 06:29 AM

That might explain why traffic is so horrendous in downtown Seattle. If only COVID hadn’t gotten in the way and the cities were just able to make life for driving commuters brutish, instead of simply losing them to working from home.

Good work, Sparky!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users