#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

Fisherman's Wharf getting facelift, more businesses

Times Colonist
Published: Monday, March 26, 2007

Fisherman’s Wharf is being transformed into a funky, floating market square.

The public is invited Saturday, from 10 a.m. to noon, to come down and see plans the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority hopes will bring new energy to the historic James Bay landmark.

[...]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:20 AM

we’re opening up a second commercial area similar to Ship Point, with more restaurants and services

Sorry what? Ship Point? Am I missing something?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

I feel a bit clueless too. Just what amenities (besides that rather dubious hotdog cart) exist at Ships Point? Or is the goal to make Fisherman's Whart more appealing by adding a large piece of unused asphalt jutting out into the harbour and cover the rest with a parking lot. I mean what says welcome to a vibrant seaside city, more than a waterfront parking lot?

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

Where's ship point again?

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

Aren't they just saying they'll be setting up a bunch of seasonal/temporary fast food stands?

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

At the North end of the causeway.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

i hope nobody minds my necropost.... i just thought since we still have a fisherman's wharf this thread isn't really dead

The last few years have brought significant changes to the community of Fisherman’s Wharf. In the spring of 2014, the float homes were zoned to officially recognize the area as a legal float home community, giving residents confidence to make improvements and additions to their homes, rather than wonder if they’ll be booted out with nowhere to go.

Zoning the community of 33 float homes and 10 businesses (which mainly consist of food) has also allowed for increased commercial development on the main dock, which caters to more than 150,000 tourists each year. In the last three years, Leff estimates tourism has grown by at least 30 per cent largely due to an increase in cruise ships coming to Victoria.

http://www.vicnews.c.../341803281.html

#8 allstonj

allstonj
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

No more seal feeding.

http://www.gvha.ca/sites/default/files/pdfs/media/pressRelease-SealFeeding.pdf

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

It's "dangerous and unsustainable".

Who knew eh?  Why ban it, if it was bound to stop sustaining on its own?

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Methinks that's going to be a huge disappointment for a while. Those @$&!$ otters were really spoiling the vibe, I have to admit.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

So what about Oak Bay Marina? Is it still safe and sustainable to feed the seals there?

• Matt R. likes this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Full release:

Seal and wildlife feeding prohibited at Fisherman’s Wharf
Harbour Authority moves to further protect safety and environment at popular attraction

April 12, 2017, Victoria, BC – As a steward of the sustainability of Victoria’s harbour, in 2017 the Greater
Victoria Harbour Authority will take steps to proactively limit public feeding of wildlife, including seals,
at Fisherman’s Wharf.

Research by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has shown that hand-feeding of marine mammals
damages ecosystems, habituating wildlife and affecting their ability to thrive in natural environments.
Seal feeding at Fisherman’s Wharf has also become a public safety hazard, attracting other aggressive
wildlife like river otters and gulls to the docks.

“We know that the practice of hand-feeding marine wildlife from our docks is dangerous and
unsustainable,” says Al-Nashir Charania, environmental projects coordinator at the Greater Victoria
Harbour Authority. “Our goal with this is to help change public behaviour over time, in alignment with
measures taken by regulators including Fisheries and Oceans.”

Visitors to Fisherman’s Wharf will see improved signage on the docks, and opportunities for
interpretation and education through the summer season. A plan for permanent interpretation panels
on the docks is underway. “Fisherman’s Wharf is one of the most popular attractions in Victoria,”
Charania says. “We don’t expect that to change.”

A key destination on Victoria’s David Foster Harbour Pathway, Fisherman’s Wharf is owned and
managed by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority. It is a vibrant community of float homes,
commercial fishing vessels, live-aboard moorage, and commercial businesses that attracts visitors yearround.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

Well, hopefully this does not affect my Sea-Monkey operation scheduled to open this summer.

seamonkeys.jpg

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

How is feeding them unsustainable?  We'll run out of fish scraps? The dock will one day decay and the world will run out of dock building supplies?  We'll run out of seals?  The seals will bite the hands off every single human on earth at a rate faster than we can reproduce?   I'm so sick of that word being used so fast and loose.  

Feeding the wildlife isn't good,  but how is it "unsustainable" or is "unsustainable" just code for "a bad thing we shouldn't do" these days?

• Bingo and Dr. Barillas like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

How is feeding them unsustainable?  We'll run out of fish scraps? The dock will one day decay and the world will run out of dock building supplies?  We'll run out of seals?  The seals will bite the hands off every single human on earth at a rate faster than we can reproduce?   I'm so sick of that word being used so fast and loose.  

Feeding the wildlife isn't good,  but how is it "unsustainable" or is "unsustainable" just code for "a bad thing we shouldn't do" these days?

I completely agree with you.

And while we are at it, if whatever we are doing at any time is "unsustainable" that's OK, because it'll end, by definition.  No regulation required.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

Well, hopefully this does not affect my Sea-Monkey operation scheduled to open this summer.

Any chance that coupon is still valid?

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

...hopefully this does not affect my Sea-Monkey operation...

That pic just might be the fakest thing that I've ever seen. People are so gullible.

Seriously, how clear would the water have to be for the castle in the background to be so sharply defined like that? Come on.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

How is feeding them unsustainable?

It's a long swim from the feeding dock at Fisherman's Wharf to the feeding dock at Oak Bay Marina. Many seals were consuming their precious stores of blubber and getting dangerously thin as they rushed back and forth between the two sites.

• Bingo likes this

#19 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

So what about Oak Bay Marina? Is it still safe and sustainable to feed the seals there?

My understanding is that federal legislation was amended last year to prohibit hand feeding marine wildlife (unless that motion died on the floor, I just remember it making the news last spring)

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

It seemed to be business as usual at Oak Bay just a few weeks ago. Is this one of those things that they'll sting people out of the blue for every now and then and let go for the rest of the time?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users