Photo

Suggestions for nice Mother's Day dinner?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 12:33 PM

VV'ers I'm looking for suggestions for ideally a nice intimate MD dinner for Mrs ASE. Our usual go-to for such things is Il Terrazzo however I'd like to do something a bit different, in addition to the fact I-T will be jammed, sitting elbow to elbow more often than not is a bit too intimate, heh.

So a couple of caveats; Mrs ASE does not like seafood or pork, (a little) red meat is fine. Poultry is good. The biggie is that she has celiac disease so gluten free is a must.

Although I'm leaning heavily toward dinner, breakfast is ok (I know because I asked and she signed off on it!) and I found a great Mexican place in Market Square, Fuego's, with an extensive GF menu so that option is covered if we can't settle on dinner.

My old go-to for such evenings was Cafe Brio but I haven't been there for some time. If it gets lots of positive feedback here I'd lean towards it for sure. I'm really interested however in suggestions for dinner places we haven't been to or tried before, and which meet the requirements above, especially the good gluten free requirement. Thanks folks.....

• todd likes this

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:10 AM

Geez....am I the only person on VV who's taking their spouse/partner out for a nice meal on Mother's Day, potentially looking for options beyond the 'same old, same old'?

Don't be shy there must be someone who can rave me some really good eating out (ideally dinner) options - or have you all just been exclusively ordering in for the last three years? :)

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:17 AM

I cook.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:23 AM

Sorry ASE, I also cook.

It's the kids who should be taking mom out for dinner. Not dad.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,331 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

I don’t really cook. Except boiling.

So I’ll boil water for soup or noodles. Or hot dogs.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:27 AM

We're trying to ensure ASE has a place to sleep that night, ok?

• AllseeingEye, lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:42 AM

Yo,,,I *cook* too and I'm very very good at it. The other night I made a kick-ass shepherd's pie to die for for four people - but regardless don't you guys ever take your wives out for a special occasion? Geez...cheapskates.

BTW Mike I'm fine for sleeping accommodations especially when plan B is required:, i.e. for example Mrs ASE is disappointed I didn't take out her out for a nice dinner - she either hands me the keys to the couch or I can slink out to the back yard and pull up a sleeping bag in the garden shed....

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:03 PM

I always cooked too but we would usually do brunch at Odonals. There’s a blast from the past!

Marina was always slammed for brunch that day. 800+ covers.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye, todd and 1 other like this

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:20 PM

Yeah the marina was a family favorite I was sorry to hear about its closing.

• Nparker likes this

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:22 PM

My one and only foray into food services was 3 years spent P/T at the Empress when I was at UVic. My very first shift in Banquets was Mother's Day 1983, over 1000 covers. That cured me of ever considering a career in that industry...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:10 PM

My wife is flying to YYZ so our son and DIL can take her out for dinner.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:33 PM

Nice, certainly no shortage of dining options there; our daughter is taking mom to the Quadra Keg, which is their go-to "thing", and it looks like I'll be taking her for that gluten free breakfast after all - she who must be obeyed has spoken! I was leaning toward Cafe Brio but she wants the Mexican huevos and since its her day....

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:41 PM

Where did your wife take you on Father’s Day?

Know it all.

#14 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:58 PM

Il Covo is excellent Italian and a great meal. Check the menu to see what gluten free might be available. House wine is really nice and more than fits the bill. My wife and I are down there about once a mont. One of our few trips downtown these days.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 06:28 AM

Where did your wife take you on Father’s Day?

I'll let you know when the day arrives in June :). Last year I think it was Sabhai Thai but since I can't even remember where I left my keys last night my recollection of events from nearly ten months ago is subject to a healthy dose of scepticism.

Although she would be just as happy with a home cooked meal of ASE's world famous spaghetti+sauce, or stuffed peppers and sauteed french green beans with almond slices, or beef barley/veggie soup (I do about 80% of the cooking at our place) sometimes you just have to take a night off from the kitchen and spend some $ on your life partner for a nice meal out, one where you both have a nice relaxing evening out and don't have do either the prep or especially the clean up afterwards.

#16 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 08:59 AM

I cook.

I Todd.
  • Matt R. likes this

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:11 AM

Obviously Butchart Gardens, but I think they’re dining options book up quickly.

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:14 AM

Interesting thought, thanks. We've done the summer 'picnic basket dinner' on the grass out there several times but I actually never thought of BG for an 'inside' dinner. Hm....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 22 April 2023 - 11:15 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:30 AM

Il Covo is excellent Italian and a great meal...

IMHO,you can't go wrong with Il Covo.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:31 AM

Why not a nice trip into Cowichan? Or even a jaunt into Cow Bay?

Also, if you’ve never been to the West Coast Grill in Sooke, you’ll really like the view from the restaurant. It’s a lovely space, too.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users