Abkhazi Garden

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 03:59 AM

From building a new gate to repairing fences and fixing leaks, Jim Sharp’s handyman skills are in high demand at Victoria’s Abkhazi Garden.

“I kind of treat this place as my own, not that I own it or anything, but this is the way I’ve always been,” the 81-year-old volunteer handyman explains. “I have something that needs to be repaired in my own house or yard, I fix it and that’s the same when I walk around here.”

Jim began volunteering at Abkhazi — the garden that love built — more than eight years ago as a gardener.

“Then one day, they asked if I could maybe build a bench to house all these plants that we have,” Jim explains. “And I said, ‘well, yeah, why don’t I make three?’ and when I showed up with the tables, they looked at them and they said, ‘could you make me seven more?’ and that was the end of my gardening career at Abkhazi.”

https://www.cheknews...ndyman-1158435/

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,159 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:11 AM

one of those places i've been past a bunch of times but still have never visited. right away i thought of jennie butchart jr who also married a white russian. what's with white russians & our gardening families?

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 56,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:12 AM

one of those places i've been past a bunch of times but still have never visited. right away i thought of jennie butchart jr who also married a white russian. what's with white russians & our gardening families?

I've never been either.   And had not really heard of it until it was in jeopardy some years ago.

Prince Nicolas Abkhazi fled Georgia for France soon after the Russian Revolution where he first met Peggy in 1922.  During World War Two he joined the French army and was captured as a prisoner of war by the Germans.  Peggy meanwhile had returned to Shanghai where she was interned by the Japanese from 1943 too 1945.  They were reunited in New York in 1946 and later moved to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada where they remained the rest of their lives.  Not long after their deaths the garden was purchased by The Land Conservancy of British Columbia with plans to steward the land as a garden in perpetuity to memorialize and share the story of the Prince and Princess Abkhazi.

https://en.wikipedia.../Abkhazi_Garden

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 July 2023 - 06:14 AM.

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:54 AM

We did a few Mother's Days there its a very nice property and something of a hidden gem. Those who know it, know it. For many probably most though its a bit of a revelation. It was for me the first time we went maybe ten years ago. Had never heard of it and had to look up the directions. Its nicely laid out, a bit on the expensive side as you might expect but certainly a great alternative to the usual "tea suspects" in town namely the Empress, the James Bay Teahouse etc. Definitely worth at least one visit for those interested in treating especially your mom, aunt, grandmother etc.

• Nparker, Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,948 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 01:16 PM

That’s quite the history those two had. Wow.

Victoria is a town full of surprises and larger than life characters. If we’d get out of our way more often, we’d stop trying to fix a place that isn’t broken.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,554 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 01:21 PM

WASN'T broken.

#7 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 02:16 PM

Haven't been there for quite a while, but speaking of Russians. Around 1975 I did some volunteer gardening for an elderly lady in Oak Bay. She had escaped from Russia during the Revolution and had ended up in Persia, where she married a Persian. I think they then eventually made their way across China and sailed to Canada. She was fascinating to talk to! Also had interesting objects in her house (books etc.) that she'd managed to bring with her. 

• Nparker likes this

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 56,979 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 06:46 AM

Victoria’s Abkhazi Garden hosting art, Grandparents Day and more in September

Enjoy the heritage garden as late summer flowers bloom and autumn colour begins to come out

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2023 - 06:46 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,554 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 10:53 AM

I just made reservations here for post-BC Day "high tea".  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users