• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,979 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 05:24 PM

Here's how B.C. heat pump rebates are about to spike

Under a new $253-million program, some B.C. residents could receive up to $24,000 to switch from oil heating to a heat pump.

The money behind the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program represents a 70 per cent increase in green energy rebates and expands the program to middle-income households who want to replace their gas or oil furnace with a heat pump. 

Qualifying British Columbians, said B.C.’s Minister of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation Josie Osbourne, could “essentially get a free heat pump through this program.”

“And then you also get the health benefits of a new cooling system in your home.”

Osbourne said the money will increase the maximum rebate amount for a new heat pump to $16,000, up from $9,500. 

Those living in northern B.C. will be eligible for another $3,000 top-up to account for the cost of cold weather heat pump technology. Osbourne said successful applicants may also receive up to $5,000 for electrical service upgrades to install and run a heat pump. 

https://www.timescol...o-spike-8739852

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2024 - 05:24 PM.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,554 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 05:27 PM

"Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation"  :whyme:  

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#3 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 07:12 PM

There sure is a LOT of cash floating around out there.  You're welcome!

#4 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,788 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 07:12 PM

"Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation"  :whyme:  

Clearly they are not concerned about spewing too much hot air.

• Nparker likes this

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 13,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 07:15 PM

I wish they would offer rebates for folks with existing older less efficient heat pumps to upgrade to a new heat pump.

• lanforod likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,979 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 05:03 AM

The B.C. government is ­expanding its heat-pump rebates program, which will allow more people to be eligible.

For example, a family of four with two adults and two children making $185,620 or less on their combined pre-tax annual income is eligible for a rebate of as much as $10,500 when they switch to a heat pump, according to the government.

Previously, the income threshold for a family of four was $114,647.

The average heat-pump installation costs between $8,000 and $19,000, ­depending on the ­equipment type and heating load, according to the ­government

For a family of four ­making less than $87,350 annually, rebate amounts for a heat pump have been increased to $16,000 up from $9,500.

https://www.timescol...-switch-9174774

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 July 2024 - 05:03 AM.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,132 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 08:40 AM

^ Those installation amounts assume that you already have sufficient duct work in your home to support the heat pump air volume. If not then you can easily double or triple those costs.

If the goal is to impact GHG emissions, then only providing rebates to those at the lower end of the financial spectrum isn't going to accomplish much. They are the ones most likely to do the minimum amount of work to get the rebate.

Edited by spanky123, 04 July 2024 - 08:47 AM.

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 July 2024 - 09:14 AM

Mini splits etc would use external, new ducting, no?

I wonder if I qualify. I have a 14 yr old heat pump that has a single outlet and is AC only. If I got a new one that can cool as well, add an outlet or two... could I get a rebate.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,948 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 11:34 AM

You want to live in a freezer? AC-only plus cooling is a bit extreme, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 July 2024 - 11:50 AM

Its basically an air conditioner. I heat with baseboards/gas fireplaces. It's not my design, place came like this.

Edited by lanforod, 04 July 2024 - 11:50 AM.

#11 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 12:29 PM

None of the new grants apply for upgrading an existing heat pump as far as I can tell. But if you say the baseboard heaters are your primary heating source, you can get $5000 (if you qualify at or below income level 2, iirc).

I looked at the grants in detail recently- it looks like you get decent money (up front!) if you’re very low income (like, retired) and you heat with oil or gas. $16,000 available.

If you’re a double income family / if you heat with baseboards you might get $5k, but most likely you get nothing. It’s a very narrow range of people who qualify for this.

Edited by max.bravo, 04 July 2024 - 12:29 PM.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,948 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 12:35 PM

I know I know, it was an AC+cooling joke.
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,954 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 July 2024 - 12:38 PM

None of the new grants apply for upgrading an existing heat pump as far as I can tell. But if you say the baseboard heaters are your primary heating source, you can get $5000 (if you qualify at or below income level 2, iirc).

I looked at the grants in detail recently- it looks like you get decent money (up front!) if you’re very low income (like, retired) and you heat with oil or gas. $16,000 available.

If you’re a double income family / if you heat with baseboards you might get $5k, but most likely you get nothing. It’s a very narrow range of people who qualify for this.

Thanks for sharing!  I'm outa cash due to a reno anyway, was just curious how easy 'free' (as in taxpayer) money is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users