6 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 01 June 2024 - 06:07 PM

Until tonight in my experience the only "Marble Arch" I ever frequented was a certain notorious strip bar when I lived in Vancouver. I don't recall what the food was like but I'm pretty sure I wasn't there for their lunch specials...

OTOH much to my amazwement there is another Marble Arch here in town located in that nondescript little Burnside Strip mall located between Burnside and Tillicum.

You know the type of joint, a literal mom and pop shop run by a middle-aged Chinese couple, smells heavenly, its greasy AF and everything comes piping hot right out of the wok or deep fryer. Its a cash only establishment, no CC or debit cards. Prices are excellent, super competitive.

I read some great reviews recently on FB and decided to give it a shot. I ordered the 2 pc halibut and chips for me and got individual Chinese dinners for the wife and kid (chow mein and sweet and sour pork and deep fried rice and seet and sour chicken balls). I have only one word to say as a result.....OMFG! Ok technically that's four words but.....damn this place is a gem and the food, and the huge portions, is fantastic. I'll be back.....

#2 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,880 posts

Posted 01 June 2024 - 06:43 PM

Combo #3 half rice half chow mein can of Coke and a haircut at the Western Gentleman.  Life doesn't get much better.

That place is PACKED out at lunch time with all the Saanich works guys.  

• AllseeingEye likes this

#3 LJ

LJ
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2024 - 07:43 PM

I have had dinner there a couple of times, always good, try the egg foo young.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,827 posts

Posted 01 June 2024 - 08:43 PM

...try the egg foo young.

https://youtu.be/0MFtbmBGf4Q

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,880 posts

Posted 01 June 2024 - 11:04 PM

Honestly I go on and on about this place. Ever since we bought that life changing townhouse in behind there in 2008, I’ve been a regular. Even after moving to salt spring, it’s often my first or second stop when I go into Victoria.

One of the city’s hidden gems for sure. Absolutely lovely couple who owns in. Pretty clean, nice little open kitchen, and you can see how fresh the food is. Fine dining it sure isn’t, but old school Chinese Canadian like every good prairie town done right.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 03 June 2024 - 09:49 AM

Honestly I go on and on about this place. Ever since we bought that life changing townhouse in behind there in 2008, I’ve been a regular. Even after moving to salt spring, it’s often my first or second stop when I go into Victoria.

One of the city’s hidden gems for sure. Absolutely lovely couple who owns in. Pretty clean, nice little open kitchen, and you can see how fresh the food is. Fine dining it sure isn’t, but old school Chinese Canadian like every good prairie town done right.

100% and I'm more than fine with that. Sure very occasionally we'll do something that approximates "fine dining" but with great grub at a very reasonable price, lots of parking and I don't have to shave or get dressed up - MA equals a perfect night out for supper. And being a good Saskatchewan girl Mrs ASE is right there with me. Remember in Regina "Swiss Chalet" is considered fine dining..... :)

• Matt R. likes this

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 10:43 AM

We stock the dipping sauce at our store, haha. Make any roast chicken dinner taste just like you remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users