6 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 10 July 2024 - 12:56 AM

Sad news last week, at least for me, with the report that loooong time AM (and later as FM darling "CFOX") radio powerhouse CKLG 73 is no more.

Just another example of a legacy 'traditional' media channel going silent in the digital age as a result of a business model that no longer works. Anyone from the west coast who grew up here from the 60's - early 2000's was highly likely to have been glued to their radios as a teen listening to one of LG or CFUN (or CKNW if talk radio was your thing).

'LG at one time was home to a who's who of legendary west coast DJ's including Terry David Mulligan, Doc Harris, Roy Hennessy, Dean Hill, Graham Hatch and many others.

TDM was a good pal of my dad's and I know Doc and Graham quite well. One of my fav radio biz people of that era was Victoria's own Tom Jeffries who DJ'ed pretty well on any big time AM station from here to Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax and back to BC; Tom got his start locally at CJVI but really made his name at CFUN and later CKNW. Graham and Tom are veritable encyclopedia's of BC radio history. Super guys.

https://vancouversun...glorious-heyday

• Nparker likes this

#2 LJ

LJ
  • 13,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 07:37 PM

We bought a house from Rick Honey many years ago, lots of old memorabilia left in the crawl space.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 11 July 2024 - 09:07 AM

We bought a house from Rick Honey many years ago, lots of old memorabilia left in the crawl space.

Nanaimo?

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 13,189 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 07:36 PM

^South Surrey.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 11 July 2024 - 09:17 PM

Meh...I mixed him up with Kerry Marshall one of Rick's contemporaries in the YVR radio scene. RH died way too young from cancer. He was barely into his 50's.....

#6 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 05:05 AM

CKLG-FM (before it became CFOX in in 1979) was one of the greatest FM stations ever to exist. It was the first on the west coast to embrace an all-rock format, and most of that rock was album length, progressive stuff that AM radio wouldn't, or couldn't play.

I had never listened to talk radio before, but almost right off the bat, CKLG-FM introduced a daily two hour "talk show" with host Alan Garr ... which to put it simply, introduced me to an entire realm of information that wasn't available anywhere else. Garr tackled subject matter that nobody else on the west coast would even touch - and he did it on a daily basis.

Only us old folks remember pre-internet or cable, when the only place you got current, salient, or controversial news was from FM radio, and the few available music magazines like Circus, Rolling Stone, Crawdaddy and Cream. You certainly didn't get it from the three or so TV channels you could get in Victoria pre-Cablevision.

CKLG-FM had its finger on the pulse of a rapidly changing Vancouver and west coast through the '70's, and when CKLG-FM became CFOX, it began its trip from the radio station that only you and your music loving friends knew about, to the major Vancouver entertainment giant it eventually turned into.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 12 July 2024 - 06:01 AM

^ Allen Garr had a very long career to be sure but I don't think too many today will recall his time on LG-FM which if I remember correctly was basically done by the mid 70's. When I lived in Vancouver most people associated him with his time and especially his editorials at the Province and if you were really into truly local news also at the very widely circulated Vancouver Courier.

I don't know too many people who viewed FM as a great source of "news" but I agree with you 100% most of us definitely thought of it as the 'anti'-AM where you were in a completely different universe where you could listen to - ahem - real music instead of the sappy Top 40 format found on the AM band, lol. First time I heard King Crimson on FM on the mighty KISW out of Seattle I thought "That's it I'm_never" going back to AM! I also fondly remember in my time living in Kitsilano it seemed there was always an issue of Creem magazine lying about within easy reach.

• Blair M. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users