• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,345 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 04:15 AM

7-Eleven parent to review takeover bid from Canada’s Couche-Tard

Seven & I Holdings, owner of convenience store chain 7-Eleven, has received a preliminary takeover offer from Canadian convenience store giant Alimentation Couche-Tard, parent of Circle K.

The Japanese company has formed a special committee to review the proposal. A source familiar with the matter told Reuters that the talks are “at a very early stage”.

Details of the offer, including the size of the stake and method of acquisition, were not disclosed. Seven & I’s shares surged by 22.7 per cent following the news on Monday, giving it a market value of 5.6 trillion yen ($38 billion).

If completed, the deal would be the largest acquisition of a Japanese company by a foreign one.

According to Nikkei, the committee will consider whether the proposal is an appropriate assessment of Seven & I’s corporate value and whether it will lead to long-term growth. The board of directors will then make their decision based on the conclusions.

https://insideretail...as-couche-tard/

I had zero idea that 7/11 was Japanese.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2024 - 04:17 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,259 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 06:51 AM

I think I knew that, but then recently read it was Texas-based, so now I’m doubly confused.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,259 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 06:51 AM

Oh:

7-Eleven, Inc.[2] is an American convenience store chain, headquartered in Irving, Texas. The chain was founded in 1927 as an ice house storefront in Dallas. It was named Tote'm Stores between 1928 and 1946. After Ito-Yokado, a Japanese supermarket chain and the parent company of Seven-Eleven Japan, acquired a 70% stake in the company in 1991, the company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Seven-Eleven Japan in November 2005.[3][4] The chain is owned by Japanese company Seven & I Holdings through Seven-Eleven Japan Co., Ltd.[5]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,259 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 06:52 AM

Cool that it was named Totem Stores. I guess there’s a Pacific Northwest connection in there somewhere?

Know it all.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 07:01 AM

Isn't that short for "Tote them"?

I watched a documentary the other day on the evolution of grocery stores, when they started with baskets and then shopping carts, there was resistance to their use.  Odd.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 August 2024 - 07:02 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:28 AM

7-11 in downtown Vancouver has started locking up beverages to discourage theft.

The store at Hornby and Davie Streets has locked up their beverages along with cough drops, Q-tips and cables so anyone wanting one of these items will have to ask the clerk for help.

https://globalnews.c...ocks-up-drinks/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2024 - 10:29 AM.

#7 Mike P.

Mike P.
  • 198 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2024 - 03:38 PM

Some demo activity happening at the former 7/11 location at Yates/Quadra

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,766 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 03:39 PM

The entire block from Johnson through to Yates along Quadra Street needs to be redeveloped.

• Mike P. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users