• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,178 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 07:57 AM

Muggins the First World War hero dog finds new home at Victoria Legion

A beloved fundraising dog, named Muggins, who captured international attention during the First and Second World Wars has found a new home at a Legion branch in Victoria.

The story of Muggins, a purebred Spitz, begins during the First World War.

https://www.cheknews...legion-1220113/

It’s unclear how Muggins ended up in the shed, but Jenkins theorizes that when the old Army and Navy Veterans’ building, now Nautical Nellies, was being renovated, Muggins was given away.

The dog ended up in a local couple’s attic, and when they passed their son decided to sell the home, ultimately rediscovering the dusty dog in the attic.

The son then contacted Gallager and her partner, Phil Sommerard.

“He was in rough shape. He was brown, and his ears were pretty ratty,” Sommerard told CHEK News in January.

In the end, though, the couple said they were happy to help the century-old dog get a new lease on life.

Muggins looks pretty good for 110 years old.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2024 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,178 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 03:20 PM

Victoria legion to honour famed dog who helped Canada's war effort

https://www.vicnews....ing-dog-7498878

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2024 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,178 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 04:39 AM

A taxidermied dog famous for his fundraising efforts during the First World War has found his forever home.

Muggins, who was known to wander downtown Victoria streets solo and raised more than $21,000 (about $400,000 in today’s dollars) for the Red Cross overseas, is moving to the Trafalgar/Pro Patria Legion 292 at 411 Gorge Rd. East.

The fluffy white purebred Spitz was trained to walk downtown streets with two donation boxes tied to his back. Printed on his pack were the words: “I’m not chained to my job; I’m just doing my bit. Have you done yours?”

When the donation boxes grew heavy, he would return to his owner on Fort Street to have them emptied.

He became so well known that a fight nearly broke out when Muggins was picked up by animal control near the Empress hotel. The mayor was called and a police officer suggested the poundkeeper “use a little sense” and return the famous Red Cross collector dog, according to a 1919 story in the Daily Colonist.

https://www.timescol...er-home-9448594

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 August 2024 - 04:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users