Long senior care homes housing drug addicts using drugs in the facilities

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 martini

martini
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 07:33 AM

What are we doing?! https://www.cheknews...-homes-1220704/

Smoking of toxic drugs prompts security to be installed at Nanaimo, Victoria long-term care homes
Posted: Aug. 25, 2024 6:49PM

So when Larson and fellow family advocate Joan Gunther, whose husband Mel spent two years in Dufferin, learned that a “special population” of hard-to-house residents, many drug-addicted and living with mental illness, had been moved into the long-term care home, they say they were outraged.

“It’s so misplaced. It’s unbelievable that anything like that can happen,” Larsen told CHEK News on Sunday.

“It is an insane idea. I don’t know how anyone could come up with that, that you could mix these two. They both have problems, but one of them no longer has the capacity to be heard,” said Nanaimo resident Joan Gunther.

(Admin/mods please move if in wrong section or delete if already posted)

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,274 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:10 AM

It’s only going to get worse.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Beacon

Beacon
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:24 AM

Bleeding Hearts:  We can't force someone to get help if they don't want it, so we have to enable them to continue doing it with free supplies to continue and naloxone to bring 'em back after they OD.  We'll enlist all our ample medical services and first responders to do this.

Me: But ODs cause brain damage due to lack of oxygen to the brain.  Repeatedly having this happen will leave people never able to be helped.  We will end up with everyone in long term care with violent tendencies, brain damage and severe addiction without even the possibility of recovery if they even ever wanted to.

Bleeding Hearts: crickets.  But lets install vending machines with all the free things (needles, pipes, instruction manuals) to keep people addicted and make it easy to start up. https://x.com/gwenom...227754829193227

Me: But those things are not the things people are even dying from, it's abusing drugs that's the harm in the first place.  How is that harm reduction and not encouragement for new users?

Bleeding Hearts: crickets. You're either with us or against us.

Me:  Time for a change, common sense here please.

• Nparker likes this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,274 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:29 AM

The only reason we’re even having these conversations is because there’s an election coming.

The current provincial government is concerned about the rise in conservatism and that’s mobilizing them to act. The feds as well. That’s the only reason we are seeing some reasonableness right now.

Victoria will be cementing its future in under two months. But it’s hard to feel sorry for a community that continued to vote for this, and is only now worried about the outcomes? But will still vote for the same leadership? That’s madness.

The only way to start down the road to solutions is to remove the forces that have enabled and promoted the path that led to this. Will conservatives deliver solutions? Maybe, maybe not. But rewarding the current governments is an odd way to send a message that society is fed up.
  • Barrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Beacon

Beacon
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:34 AM

The only reason we’re even having these conversations is because there’s an election coming.

The current provincial government is concerned about the rise in conservatism and that’s mobilizing them to act. The feds as well. That’s the only reason we are seeing some reasonableness right now.

I shudder to think of how far down this hole we would have gone if an election wasn't near, I also shudder to think of what will happen afterwards if the same people are elected again and the election pressure is off.

• Barrister likes this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 08:35 AM

...I also shudder to think of what will happen afterwards if the same people are elected again and the election pressure is off.

Sadly, I expect we will find out come October.  :(

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 09:40 AM

1.    While I have do doubt this is becoming a new or inreasing problem, where were these patients (Nanaimio, Victoria) cared for in the past?

2.  This is likely a larger problem (by numbers) on the Mainland, where are they kept?

Could this be a new policy to keep these cases closer to home, rather than the Mainland facility they would have previously been sent to?

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 10:35 AM

screenshot-x.com-2024.08.27-14_35_17.png

https://x.com/Mike4L...455100395987432

^ Victoria.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 August 2024 - 10:36 AM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,274 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 10:43 AM

Currently being discussed on CFax by the journalist who broke this story.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users