Photo

CRD Regional Transportation Service (RTS)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 04:03 PM

Expanding road networks is limited by the built and natural environment, necessitating a shift from single-occupancy vehicle travel.

https://www.crd.bc.c...-transportation

Capital Regional District Introduces Regional Transportation Service Bylaw
Sep 12, 2024
Victoria, BC—The Capital Regional District (CRD) Board is moving forward with elector approval for a bylaw establishing the Regional Transportation Service (RTS). Creating this service will align transportation with growth planning and advance the CRD's priority of supporting residents’ access to convenient, green and affordable multi-modal transportation systems.

"This new Regional Transportation Service represents a collaborative effort and is an important initial step to reduce carbon emissions, promote active transportation and address congestion," said Colin Plant, CRD Board Chair. "Through changes in service delivery, the proposed RTS will empower the CRD to expand its role in achieving our regional transportation goals by enabling the development of innovative programs and projects that support a robust and integrated Regional Multi-modal Network.”

Staff from each of the local governments, electoral areas, BC Transit, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, BC Ferries, Victoria Airport Authority, and Island Corridor Foundation continue to participate in ongoing discussions on this work through the Transportation Working Group and one-on-one meetings to gather feedback on transportation governance.

"This is a significant step towards delivering regional transportation services that enhance integrated mobility," said CRD Transportation Committee Chair Dean Murdock. "With this new service, our region can work together to deliver transportation choices that make it easier and more convenient for everyone to get around as they travel all parts of the region."

The first priority under the RTS will be updating the 2014 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) to refine the region's vision and goals for integrated long-term planning. This update will involve collaboration across the region to ensure a comprehensive approach to regional transportation needs. Additionally, the RTS will introduce new funding opportunities to support local government in delivering regionally significant priorities.

Elector approval must be obtained in order to advance the Regional Transportation Service. The regional alternative approval process is expected to begin in Q1 2025.

For more information about the bylaw and the Regional Transportation Service, please visit https://www.crd.bc.c...-transportation.

The CRD delivers regional, sub-regional and local services to 13 municipalities and three electoral areas on southern Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Governed by a 24-member Board of Directors, the CRD works collaboratively with First Nations and government partners to enable sustainable growth, foster community well-being, and develop cost-effective infrastructure while continuing to provide core services to residents throughout the region. Visit us online at www.crd.bc.ca.

https://www.crd.bc.c...n-service-bylaw

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 04:13 PM

We're got plenty of space for expanding our existing road network.

Take Wilkinson Road as an example. A key link between Saanich and West Shore, and Highways 17 and 1.

Here's the statement from the CRD on our roads: Expanding road networks is limited by the built and natural environment, necessitating a shift from single-occupancy vehicle travel.

Here's Wilkinson's actual right-of-way, 19.5 meters, roughly (63-64 feet). On the right, the ROW ends at the edge of the sidewalk.

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 5.08.35 PM.png

Here's a great reference for road cross-sections: https://library.muni...E_10C-25.08STST

Look at this. You can build such a better road than what is currently there.

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 5.12.57 PM.png

• max.bravo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 04:35 PM

Here's McKenzie, west of Saanich. ROW is approximately 25 meters, or 82 feet.

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 5.32.38 PM.png

Here's what 93 very generous feet can accommodate. Municipalities are always asking for road frontage dedications from developers. We really don't need to be worrying about building new roads, when so much space is available to expand what we already have.

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 5.35.13 PM.png

A turn lane on McKenzie at Saanich would make sense, wouldn't it?

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 5.43.35 PM.png

Know it all.

#4 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:49 AM

I never understood how the anti-car government activists’ goal of “reducing carbon” is achieved by shifting away from personal automobile infrastructure.

Aren’t we making a provincial switch to EVs? If we do that, doesn’t that solve the carbon issue completely?

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,345 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:55 AM

Home heating and commercial gas use is still a factor. It wasn’t that long ago were were being urged to scrap electric heat and converts to gas.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2024 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:58 AM

I think the anti car zealots still want 75-year-olds to bike.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2024 - 06:58 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:08 AM

From the CRD’s website linked above:

Although the region has historically had high transit and active transportation usage compared to other Canadian cities, these rates have stagnated.

Translation: we’ve run out of carrots, now we pull out the stick.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:26 AM

When autonomous cars and taxis arrive those rates are going to go down. Nobody is going to walk 2km when a robotaxi can get you there for 35 cents

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2024 - 07:27 AM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:28 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already gone down.

I mean during COVID there was a surge in car buying. Hard to give up a car, after you were sort of forced into one, now realize how superior it is.

Know it all.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:29 AM

When autonomous cars and taxis arrive those rates are going to go down. Nobody is going to walk 2km when a robotaxi can get you there for 35 cents

In comes the stick.

It might be 35 cents, but government will tax you $5 to enter the vehicle.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:32 AM

Probably.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,044 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:37 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already gone down.

I mean during COVID there was a surge in car buying. Hard to give up a car, after you were sort of forced into one, now realize how superior it is.

Is this a fact? My gut tells me its the opposite, because so many shifted to working from home, many people were terrified of physical shopping (kinda necessary for most cars), and supply chain issues, particularly with automobile computer chips, delayed vehicles by years.

I do know there was a surge in RV buying (and maybe pickup trucks too, because people perhaps needed those for towing or camping).

Edited by lanforod, 13 September 2024 - 07:38 AM.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:39 AM

Yes, according to ICBC active policy data. Even in the City of Victoria, auto policies jumped. There was a huge run on used vehicles at the time, as demand outstripped supply of new vehicles.

Whether or not you worked from home, you still had to get around, so households added cars.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,044 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:41 AM

Ok, so I guess lots just emptied then.

#15 LJ

LJ
  • 13,261 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 11:25 AM

I never understood how the anti-car government activists’ goal of “reducing carbon” is achieved by shifting away from personal automobile infrastructure.

Aren’t we making a provincial switch to EVs? If we do that, doesn’t that solve the carbon issue completely?

They are against any individual owning their own vehicle, the people should be equalized by all having to take a public bus.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,766 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 12:20 PM

To be fair, I am sure they believe CRD board members and executive bureaucrats within the region should be allowed to own private vehicles.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 12:40 PM

How many of the 24 or so directors drove to the meeting in downtown Victoria, I wonder?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#18 marks_28

marks_28
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 02:31 PM

Yes, according to ICBC active policy data. Even in the City of Victoria, auto policies jumped. There was a huge run on used vehicles at the time, as demand outstripped supply of new vehicles.

Whether or not you worked from home, you still had to get around, so households added cars.

From what I recall, yes total auto policies went up due to more people moving here, but cars per household actually went down. And yes, there was a run on used vehicles, but this was because new cars were much, much harder to come by with the chip shortage and other supply chain issues. So buyers were forced to the used market.

Heck, we got rid of one of our cars during this time. Just not using it enough to make insurance and parking costs worth it.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,258 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 03:09 PM

That's not exactly correct. Vehicle ownership per household is on an up-swing since 2001.

The last dive I did was in 2018, referring to the CRD's 2017 regional growth strategy update. The number of vehicles in our region has steadily increased since then. I should run the numbers again, but we'll have to wait for the latest census in 2026, then ICBC data a year after to get the most accurate data. So sit down, we'll be here a while.

The volume of vehicles compared to residents on the south Island rose from 68.9 vehicles for every 100 residents in 2011 to 70.3 in 2017, an increase of 22,500 units (or 9.7%). Over the same period population growth was 7.49%.

Now I'm really curious to see how we're doing in 2024. But the COVID-era bump was even attributed by ICBC to COVID travel choices, no? 

Know it all.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,044 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2024 - 03:46 PM

Hmm sounds like you're guessing or assuming that per household vehicles increased in 2020-2022 without actual data.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users