Doctors Clinics Health

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,446 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 05:24 AM

Colwood green-lights leasing medical clinic, hiring doctors.

The Royal Bay clinic, staffed with eight family doctors paid on salary by the city, could open within two years, says the mayor.

https://www.timescol...sicians-9567849

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 05:33 AM

Plans suggest the clinic will be able to take on 10,000 patients from an estimated 14,000 people in Colwood who currently don’t have a family doctor.

I think it could probably be subject to some form of legal challenge.

Is it odd that 70% of the Colwood population has no doctor?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2024 - 05:35 AM.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 05:35 AM

While it's tragic that our broken system has lead so many to be without adequate health care (myself included), municipalities should not be in business of paying doctors. This just lets the federal and provincial governments continue to shirk their responsibilities.

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 05:37 AM

But it wasn’t until 2017 when he had heart failure followed by a diagnosis of diabetes — “both preventable if I had a family doctor” — that he was finally attached to a family physician.

“That’s the only reason I have a family doctor today,” he said. “I have seen the suffering, the pain. I’ve seen the waiting.”

Not so sure about that first paragraph. Lifestyle and diet might have prevented that, not so sure a doctor was required.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2024 - 05:38 AM.

#5 Barrister

Barrister
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 06:18 AM

My doctor these days is in Seattle. This is not an option that works for most people and is far from ideal. 

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 06:33 AM

I just tried making an online booking at a clinic. No dates available all the way through 2024. Unless something is wrong with their system, that’s odd, right?

They encourage me to book online and not to come to the clinic when it opens at 830AM.

That is pretty wild, if that’s a true representation of availability for online booking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 06:56 AM

What's even more shocking is that people still believe Canada has the best heath care system in the world.

• phx and Barrister like this

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:01 AM

I just tried making an online booking at a clinic. No dates available all the way through 2024. Unless something is wrong with their system, that’s odd, right?

They encourage me to book online and not to come to the clinic when it opens at 830AM.

That is pretty wild, if that’s a true representation of availability for online booking.

Yikes. Which clinic is this?

#9 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:01 AM

For the one million British Columbians (one in five) who don't have a doctor, the reality is that you have been reduced to being the subject of triage such that, unless you are on the cusp of dying, you will wait weeks, months, or years (for knee surgery and the like) for any sort of treatment, and there is a good chance that if your malady is simply chronic, you won't get in to see a doctor, or have a remedy provided at all.

Canada's system is third world and dropping still further in terms of prevention and supportive treatment, with the only change possible being one that may come with changes at both the federal and provincial levels of government, and even then it's not guaranteed as the system has been allowed to deteriorate to such a degree that it may simply be unrecoverable - at least in the sense of returning it to what it once was in Canada.

• Nparker, phx and Ismo07 like this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:33 AM

Ok, so I went down to the clinic. It’s the Sooke clinic, btw.

If you don’t login at 6AM, the online bookings get booked immediately, so they encourage being ready by 5:45AM to stand a chance. That’s why I wasn’t seeing any options, and they only allow same day online bookings so future dates aren’t an option.

I feel like this could be so easily communicated on the booking portal and to not leave you wondering what’s happening. Right?
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:36 AM

If you don’t login at 6AM, the online bookings get booked immediately, so they encourage being ready by 5:45AM to stand a chance. That’s why I wasn’t seeing any options, and they only allow same day online bookings so future dates aren’t an option.

I feel like this could be so easily communicated on the booking portal and to not leave you wondering what’s happening. Right?

Did you get in?

#12 Barrister

Barrister
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:44 AM

My wife needed an MRI and the doctor in Seattle actually apologized that due to a summer holiday schedule it was going to be a three day wait. Or as he put it, they screwed up their vacation schedules.

One of our friends with a more serious situation has been waiting months here in Victoria. It was nowhere this bad ten years ago.

• Nparker and phx like this

#13 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 07:50 AM

My family doctor of 30 years fired us because we wouldn’t take the so called vaccine.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:00 AM

Colwood green-lights leasing medical clinic, hiring doctors.

The Royal Bay clinic, staffed with eight family doctors paid on salary by the city, could open within two years, says the mayor.

https://www.timescol...sicians-9567849

Given that there are not 7 unemployed doctors sitting around this would simply mean that 10,000 people lose their family doctor so that 10,000 people in Colwood can get one?

End result is that munis just start outbidding each other for docs?
  • Nparker likes this

#15 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like you need one of them Russian bots ;).

For sure, they should spell out the details.

• Mike K. likes this

#16 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:36 AM

Given that there are not 7 unemployed doctors sitting around this would simply mean that 10,000 people lose their family doctor so that 10,000 people in Colwood can get one?

End result is that munis just start outbidding each other for docs?

Hmm. If it takes 2 years, it may be some are net new doctors. I sure hope we are creating more new doctors than are retiring these days...

But certainly, doctors move around. I saw one recently who moved from Calgary last year. 

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:37 AM

Hopefully the AI doctors are good.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 September 2024 - 08:41 AM.

• dasmo and Ismo07 like this

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:38 AM

Did you get in?

Yes! I am booked for later in the day.

• Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 08:41 AM

Hmm. If it takes 2 years, it may be some are net new doctors. I sure hope we are creating more new doctors than are retiring these days...

But certainly, doctors move around. I saw one recently who moved from Calgary last year. 

Since there is a shortage, any 'new' doctor is choosing one location over another. My point is that all Colwood is doing is creating a model where munis can now compete for doctors. Does anyone think that unionized staff, in a muni owned building with salaried doctors will operate at a profit or even break even? Of course not, it will be subsidized by taxpayers. A new twist on a two tiered system but that is exactly what it will be. Only difference is that everyone pays for priority treatment for a few people instead of just themselves.

• Nparker likes this

#20 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,848 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 09:14 AM

Since there is a shortage, any 'new' doctor is choosing one location over another. My point is that all Colwood is doing is creating a model where munis can now compete for doctors. Does anyone think that unionized staff, in a muni owned building with salaried doctors will operate at a profit or even break even? Of course not, it will be subsidized by taxpayers. A new twist on a two tiered system but that is exactly what it will be. Only difference is that everyone pays for priority treatment for a few people instead of just themselves.

It's an interesting model.  Isn't the medical system as a whole already subsidized by tax payers?  Do you have to be a Colwood resident to go there?  It doesn't sound like the day to day office staff will be unionized (operated by the non-profit), but it does seem the doctors would get benefits as they are Colwood staff but be paid from the Province?  

Edited by Ismo07, 25 September 2024 - 09:14 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users