Photo

STARBUCKS Coffee in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#1 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

There is another Starbucks opening in Langford. That will be the fourth Starbucks in Langford. It is being built at the Westbrook mall Parking lot by Western Foods on Goldstream Ave. There are at least four independent coffee outlets within a one K radius of it.

#2 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

Goldstream Starbuck drive-through under construction.

#3 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:59 AM

They must think they have business. The coffee shop next to the grocer across the street serves suck coffee, so they can outdo their direct competition. I think there is a Serious Coffee down the street with no parking and another independant a block away with no easy parking near the Tim Horton which always has a line for coffee. It sure seems to be an area saturated with coffee -- just like Victoria's downtown.

The Starbucks next to the HSBC in Langford on Jacklin Rd across from the Westshore Mall is a real good spot. Very comfortable inside with decent parking and attractive people working inside.

Starbucks definetely outfoxed the competition on scouting better locations and providing parking and drive-throughs.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

Coffee shops are to cities what Tabasco Sauce is to a dish--it adds flavour and vibrancy to the street but useless on its own. I don't like seeing stand alone coffee shops. It's a waste of real estate.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

If there was no demand, there would be no supply.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Fine, but put it a mixed use building. Is that going to be office space on the 2nd floor, or just empty 'architectural' space?

For the record, although I prefer independent joints, I commend Starbucks for virtually re-inventing cafe culture and adding sidewalk vitality to streets in Victoria and around the world. Recall that before Starbucks arrived in Victoria, going for coffee consisted of sitting on a stool at a diner counter--there was no outdoor seating.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Fine, but put it a mixed use building. Is that going to be office space on the 2nd floor, or just empty 'architectural' space?

For the record, although I prefer independent joints, I commend Starbucks for virtually re-inventing cafe culture and adding sidewalk vitality to streets in Victoria and around the world. Recall that before Starbucks arrived in Victoria, going for coffee consisted of sitting on a stool at a diner counter--there was no outdoor seating.

*cough*La Boheme*cough*

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hmm...Ok, but still somewhat of a novelty in those days. I think it was a little too "beatnik" for your average Joe Dockerpants. And the seating was semi-enclosed, not on the sidewalk, iirc.

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

/sigh
/mourn LaBoheme
In my memory the seating spilled out all the way into Market Square at times.
Hee hee
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

So when did they open that Starbucks on Shelbourne in deepest Gordon Head? (Torquay Village is the name of the strip mall, according to the store locator at Starbucks.com)

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

in nologo naomi klein says starbucks typically opens stores in an area until one of them starts to lose money, then closes one. that's how they know they've saturated a market. there won't be room for any other coffee shops after that point.

So when did they open that Starbucks on Shelbourne in deepest Gordon Head? (Torquay Village is the name of the strip mall, according to the store locator at Starbucks.com)

it has been there for quite a while

#12 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

So when did they open that Starbucks on Shelbourne in deepest Gordon Head?

I posted it in the Coffee discussion back on April 12th.

If you like shiny new coffee houses, check out the refurnished Starbucks on the corner of Fort and Foul Bay with it's sexy new interior. I would expect it to be finished and re-opened by the end of the week.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:17 AM

They refinished the one in Cook St. Village about a year ago and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between before and after.

#14 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

^ Same with the Hillside Mall one.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

They refinished the one in Cook St. Village about a year ago and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between before and after.

Me neither.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Yeh, the Starbucks "non-reno" is one of the mysteries of life. What did they do? Why did they do it? When will they do it again??!!

The Douglas and Yates one was closed for renos a couple of days ago. I'll have to check it out to see what's not new!

#17 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:04 AM

Keeps them looking new and fresh.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

True. Lots of people like to rag on Starbucks but they keep their stores decent looking.

I wonder where was the first Victoria Starbucks?

What cafes existed before then? I can only think of La Boheme/Java.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

Murchies.

Good stuff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 benj

benj
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

cook st was first

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users