Nando's Chicken | Victoria | Pandora @ Government

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

I decided to try the new Nando's Chicken in the Millstream Mall across the street from Home Depot.

It was good! Very tasty flame-broiled chicken and sides. Most everything is flavoured with "Peri" chiles at varying levels of heat you can specify.

I had to go back repeatedly on different days to try different things - the stuff is addicting. I noticed that the guy from Ali Baba's pizza ate his dinner there and I saw the guy from the Dodd's Furniture and Matress with his family there. It seems to becoming a popular local spot.

The style is Portuguese. Not a lot of seating, but I was able to sit each time I went there and there is a take-out menu.

[url=http://www.nandoscanada.com:19cd9]Nando's Chicken[/url:19cd9]

The above link has the menu online. The prices listed online are the same at the local outlet, although the new location is not yet listed.

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

that looks very cool. i want to check it out! it kind of reminds me of pollo campero, a guatemalan fried chicken chain.

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

I ate there awhile ago and the chicken was hot and spicy even though i ordered the mildest there was. If you like really hot and spicy food, you'll probably like this place, but i didn't.
In chains by Keynes

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

When I was in portugal I ate Piri Chicken all the time. Yum so good. I guess I will have to try this place out. I just hate that area so much.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Went there about a month after they opened. Got moldy bread and told the owner about it. He gave us new ones sans mold and didn't say a thing - just tossed me the bread. Fair enough.

The wife emailed HQ and told them about it. They spanked his pee pee and got him to email us, inviting us back for some more moldy bread, free of charge. We passed.

Truth is, homemade stuff is better (and cheaper of course). Go to the grocery, get a whole chicken, some basic spices for a rub, fire up the Q, crack a beer and shove it up the chicken's butt and make yourself some juicy and tender beer-can chicken.

It's trashy but truly tasty.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:39 AM

^That sucks!
Welcome aboard by the way!

I have been there a couple of times and have truly enjoyed it but I have not had any bread. Just chicken and fries. While I agree you can approximate the taste on a BBQ there is nothing like having someone else do it for you.

I am hoping someone opens one downtown.

#7 Bhatman

Bhatman
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

Apparently the manager that worked there when they first opened was fired. He was the cause of all the shitty service and mistakes. I go there once a week and have been going that regularly for months and months now! Not once have I had even 1 mistake!!! :D Can't wait to see some more locations!!!

#8 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

I was there a couple weeks ago and felt the food was neither here nor there...as someone suggested get a whole chicken a rub and stuff a beer can in the chicken and you've got a better meal...If I got free gift certificates I'd go again, but I certainly won't be going there to pay for a meal again. I'm a big fan of chicken and a big fan of spices from around the world and different cultures but I'm pretty sure I could make a better chicken myself at a fraction of the cost. The "peri" fries were a joke, they were regular mccain style fries with seasoning put on them...I was figuring they'd be homestyle, but I guess with a big chain thats too much to expect these days

#9 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

I've seen some very nice Peri Peri spice rubs in the supermarket. You could do the beer can chicken trick with such a rub and it would taste as good and be a lot cheaper. The trick I use is to cut out the back bone of the chicken and lay it flat on the grill skin side up and cook it low and slow over indirect heat. You can't screw it up and you don't waste a good beer cooking a chicken.

#10 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

Rorschach,
empty the beer can first!

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Rorschach,
empty the beer can first!

most of it anyway...

#12 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

although the BBQ's a good use for a full kokanee, wouldn't want to drink the stuff!

#13 Bhatman

Bhatman
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:07 AM

homecooked meals are always tailored to your individual tastes... you can never compare that, by that token the keg makes shitty steaks because I love the way I grill my steaks at home. There ain't nothing better than having some nice peri peri chicken brought to my table... Nando's definitely makes the best chicken in town out of all the RESTAURANTS

#14 cluseau

cluseau
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

Nando's is from South Africa originally. Years ago I was there for a wedding, and with some buddies we decided to have some spicy chicken. So we ordered a whole 'hot' chicken.

I watched the guy at the grill open a drawer filled with red liquid. He proceeded to pull out a whole chicken with his tongs and grill it.

Once plated, my friends looked on nervously and cut in, as a red liquid oozed out. It was incredibly hot; needless to say we didn't finish the chicken.

That was probably out 5th visit to Nandos in our 2 weeks there; I became quite addicted to the stuff. I was very happy when Nando's sauces became available in grocery stores here. But the Canadian franchises I've been to seem to overcook the chicken and there's something...missing. Like Guinness I guess things are always better in the places they are from.

So I'll concur with everyone above, go buy their sauce and grill your own chicken...Peri Peri is yummy!

#15 Bhatman

Bhatman
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

I heard a rumour that Nando's is opening on Government Street! That is pretty exciting, they will have probably the cheapest beer prices downtown!

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Oops saw the other thread first. This is awesome news!!!

#17 teddygram

teddygram
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

By far Nando's has the best food in the entire city! I love how I can eat a restaurant quality meal for under 10 bucks!

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

^ It is tasty but that may be a bit of a stretch. For under ten bucks you can have great food at many fine Victoria establshments.

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

I heard a rumour that Nando's is opening on Government Street! That is pretty exciting, they will have probably the cheapest beer prices downtown!

This is true; per a recent ad on Craigslist, they are hiring for this location.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

$4.59 for draft, $4.93 for bottles inc. tax. There are a few places you can get cheaper beer downtown if you know where/when to look.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users