APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

Bayview Properties has recently submitted an application for rezoning on their roundhouse property in Vic West, dubbed The Roundhouse, which is joined to the Bayview Victoria[/url:6d1fb] development in Vic West. The project's website is available at [url]http://www.roundhousevictoria.com

The following image is a screenshot from the PDF available on the website and shows one of the potential scenarios. The tallest tower is 24-storeys and the others are stepped down towards Lime Bay.

roundhouse.gif

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

That is very cool!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

There are three other massing studies submitted with the application but the one pictured above includes the tallest buildings.

Btw, the rendering shows the east face of the buildings, and Lime Bay/Spinnakers is on the top right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

I wonder who the architect is. The website doesn't say.

EDIT: It's Norm Hotson for Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden in Vancouver

http://www.hotsonbakker.com/home.html

Ah, they did the Railyards and Roar_One, and they were the original architects of Granville Island. Interesting.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

Holy ****!! That's awesome! What's the mix of space going to be? All condo? I'd be shocked to see this go through at 16 let alone 20+
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

Some of the "street scenes" on the site are really cool. I may have to read this from end to end.

It has a whole new look!

#7 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:50 PM

Don't salivate too much people...

Lots of local content eh?

http://www.roundhous... ... ndix_A.pdf

#8 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:32 PM

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

One thing does concern me, however, hopefully the city and province have some sort of idea / plan for a rail station somewhere....because one day there will be regular passenger rail service. Whether it be commuter, LRT or both, it will need a major station somewhere.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

I think that if you have a need for a bigger station it could be built in Langford with the tracks to downtown used solely for Inter Urban use.

It has a whole new look!

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

Here's another rendering that also shows the buildout of the neighbouring Bayview Victoria property:

Know it all.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Cool rendering. Let's hope these projects can breathe some life into the Songhees.

#12 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

What kind of life is one looking for over at Songhees?

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

A single shop
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

This project will be the redeeming part of the Songhees. Most wouldn't realize it but lots of residents from the Songhees walk to West Side Village to shop so there is a desire for amenities within walking distance.

Know it all.

#15 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

I hope so.. The buildings though are so "fortified" up there on "The Rock"..

Walking along the Tyee Road entrance makes me think of suburban highway designs.... I guess there will be a stair to get down to walkway level... The project is buffered from Esquimalt Road, accessed from the end of a cul de sac... situated on the other side of the tracks... Check out their site plan and concept rendering - that covers the windows at their presentation centre on Wharf St.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

I hope so.. The buildings though are so "fortified" up there on "The Rock"..

That would be Bayview, which is being developed by the same group but the two projects are vastly different from each other. You can see in the renderings that the Roundhouse will have Yaletown-like architecture as opposed to hulking suburban/auto-oriented architecture that is Bayview. Roundhouse also has a good dozen access points from Esquimalt, Catherine and Kimta streets which are necessary to support the retail component and make Roundhouse into a destination and not a bedroom community.

Know it all.

#17 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Looks like the railway will go under the project judging by the second rendering; there appears to be a tunnel.

#18 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

Where is the tunnel! I don't see it!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

Oh, I see what you mean. The roads are elevated in this rendering as is the train track which makes it appear as though the tracks are going into a tunnel.

Know it all.

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

This is what the site looks like today:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users