Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:26 AM

Ok, here's a good one. Perhaps this fellow hasn't heard of the concept of amalgamating the western communities into one, with the core (including Oak Bay) into another.

Amalgamation would cost freedom
Re: “Province should make us one,” letter, Aug. 1.
The letter-writer makes the same assertion that most proponents of amalgamation make: “There would be considerable savings to taxpayer.” Yet, whenever the powers-that-be are asked if taxes will decrease as a result, the answer is “No.”
The writer goes on to suggest that the greater advantage is in having one body setting regional development. I agree that there are advantages, but there are also dangers. The needs of the western communities are different from other regions. Is it likely that these needs will be met by a council that’s elected primarily by the more populated municipalities? As an example, Langford has chosen to allow big box stores and has benefited from the increased tax base. Would Langford residents have been as accepting of these stores if the increased revenue were spent on improvements in Oak Bay?
Greg Aleknevicus, Colwood.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:40 AM

I agree with her comments on this. The Western Communities are very aggresive business wise. While Saanich and Victoria, dick around developers like they are sons of the devil sometimes. I know that sounds harsh but in reality the two areas function totally different. Saanich can take over a month to get a building permit processed, while in Langford a building permit is provided instantly. The way the City has slowed condo development to almost a snail pace, ex: The Falls took two years for an 18 story tower. While in Colwood it took two months for a 30 story tower.

I can relate to his fears. If I lived out there I wouldn't want anything to do with the core muncipalities.

As a residence of the Core Municipalities I would love to have the Western Communities Voice and Vote to elect better councils into power. I bet Pam wouldn't even come 10th place if it was a one city council election. Sooke to Sidney.

#3 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:45 PM

I would envision 3 municipalities

1. Victoria, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Saanich = Victoria
2. Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sidney, Highlands = Saanich Peninsula
3. View Royal, Colwood, Langford, Metchosin, Sooke = WestShore
  • 57WestHills and Laszlow like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

Yup, sounds about right. Might as well throw in Shawnigan and Malahat into the WestShore while we're at it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

Would not the highlands be part of the West Shores?

I would even possibly put View Royal in the Core group.

I may even put Saltspring in with Sidney / north Saanich and the Pen.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I can see highlands being like VR, sort of in the middle of the west and the peninsula. My preference would be to add it to the peninsula since it shares more of that areas rural nature and it stretches moreso along the pen than into the west.

Know it all.

#7 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

I would even possibly put View Royal in the Core group.

What if we split it up? Colwood overpass west would be West Shore and east of it would be part of the Core.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Oh oh...a 14th muni?

Know it all.

#9 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

^No no! We are talking 3 muni's.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

Ah, right...oops :)

Know it all.

#11 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

How about if the whole province split from B.C. and became one province, all governed by me!!! I as your fearless leader would rule fairly and justly. I would also have my choice of many wives for myself, as well as the choice of the finest wines, meats, and crops. I would have free choice of vehicles, many butlers from whom I choose from my new founded kingdom, all of whom would give up all rights of their own to serve me. In return I would lead & rule with a balance of wisdom, intelligence, strength, war, & love. If we needed more population we would take people by force of war from the mainland. If we needed more money we would Rob the wealthy from the Mainland. Everything outside the island would be ours for the taking. We would create a huge war machine, everyone would fear us. We would live like kings in our great wealth and bounty. We would be the new Kings of the Earth. And I King Scaper, would rule on high!!!
  • Laszlow likes this

#12 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:36 AM

Rule on high? You would be high!

I would leave and head for the mainland thank you very much.

#13 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:30 AM

How about if the whole province split from B.C. and became one province

huh? :?

#14 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

i would still think of VR as more of a westshore.
The way its layed out puts more emphasis on its border with colwood than anywhere else.

VR is like a suburb ofthe westshore.

#15 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

OK, Alright revised with View Royal in Victoria

1. Victoria, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Saanich and View Royal = Victoria
2. Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sidney and Highlands = Saanich Peninsula
3. Colwood, Langford, Metchosin and Sooke = WestShore

#16 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

2. Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sidney and Highlands = Saanich Peninsula ----> should include Salt Spring, with over 10,000 people, it is a main bedroom community of Victoria.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

I was going to put this in the Bear Mountain thread but what Geoff Young says about amalgamation is far more important.

We will all pay for Highlands water

Times Colonist

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Victorians who haven't visited the Bear Mountain subdivision clawing its way up the hills of Langford and the Highlands should do so, because our water board plans for all of us to help pay the utility bills for the new residents.

A pipeline is needed to get water through Langford to the Highlands, and the water board has decided that all its customers -- not just the Highlands -- will help pay for the line and the growth it supports.

By subsidizing sprawl, the water board is working against its own conservation policies. Homes on large lots use more water than denser urban dwellings.

The Highlands was established separate from Langford because it planned for rural residences that would draw on groundwater rather than the regional water supply. Now its mayor and council have decided to accept new development.

The dollar amounts are small, a few cents a month for most of us, but confirming the principle that we all pay will become more important if another municipality decides to "diversify its tax base" -- code for allowing the desire for more property taxes to determine the community plan.

Maybe it is fair to ask city dwellers to pay for the costs of servicing new suburbs. If so, it is also fair to ask those suburbs to pay the cost of downtown policing and social costs. In a single municipality we would all pitch in on everything.

What the water board wants is selective amalgamation. The low-density municipalities don't contribute to the costs of downtown, but expect the downtown to help pay for expensive utility services when they need them.

Geoff Young,

councillor,

City of Victoria.
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Could we move this to a new thread? this one is all over the place....

Thanks Holden for posting this. I read the paper and totaly missed this article.

I would liketo respond with a reply to this.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

The main subject is amalgamation. And it's a letter to the editor. If you want to comment on the Bear Mountain-y aspects, extract and quote them in the Bear Mountain thread.

Stet.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

no I meant if we could start a new thread in the amalgamation section...that's all.

I guess it's hard sometimes to decide when to start a new thread or keep everything in one.

personally I find it keeps things neater if you seperate articles and ideas into different threads...the draw back to it however is you have a huge list of threads...though it makes it easier to find things as you can search the threads rather than sifting through hundreds of posts on one thread...

It's hard to say I guess.....Just my thoughts...

either way thanks for posting...it should be in the amalgamation topic!!!

Cheers Scaper :-)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users