Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Sovereign | Condos | 11-storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

This parking lot just sold.
Anybody have any details?
Has this been discussed in another thread?
IMG_7186.jpg

608broughton.jpg

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

http://www.jjb.com/c... ... te&To=Prev

According to Teh Internets:

This was the site of the first version of Eric Charman's Mozart Building--since cancelled. Check this curious document: http://www.delbarima...OUSE_v19_1_.doc (MS Word)
or Google "608 Broughton" to get the html version.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Interesting.

I must remember to use this intrunet in future.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

I must confess, I'll miss the view of the backside of those Fort street shops once this lot is developed.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

I know. It always makes me homesick for New York.

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

^ Ha-ha...

It's funny how few alleys we have in Victoria, though. The backs of those buildings aren't accessible by a through-way, or are they? They're more like back courtyards -- at least it doesn't look like the space goes through to the East?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

That back alley view is one of my favorite in Victoria. The mix of ages of buildings, and styles are just awesome for contrast. I've also got a bit of a grit fetish, and that landscape represents one of the last really gritty urban views left in Vic. I'll miss it too. If any shutterbugs are down that way and wanted to take marvelous pictures of it as it is now, I'd be totally grateful.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

So here's the lowdown. Chard Development is proposing either a residential and commercial development or a boutique hotel and commercial development in an 11-storey tower. Lots of brick in this rendering. The design is reminiscent of the old office tower at Douglas and Johnson, no?

The MCP entry is updated at http://www.vibrantvi...es/mcp/0057.htm

Interesting to note that two proposals are now coming down for the 600-block of old town, namely this one and Westbank's [url=http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1452:ba82b]Ballantyne office[/url:ba82b] proposal. Either both get through the height/massing hurdles or both get axed since each project appears to be pushing the limits in that part of downtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

I despise insipid low-detail faux heritage (examples: the west side of the Eaton's Centre or the Hotel Grand Pacific). Is this proposal more of the same? A "traditional" building doesn't have to be boring and cheap, like so many people seem to think it does. It can be as detailed and beautiful as the genuine article. I'm all for fine retrospective designs, if they're done to a high standard and if everybody involved is clear as to what style they're trying to play on/reproduce*. I think Victoria would do very well to fill in the gaps in the old town with modern buildings in high-quality "traditional" dress.

Conclusion: if they plan to do it well, then I'll be rooting for them like crazy.

*Why not make the task easier by emulating one of Victoria's lost buildings?

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

Not a hope in hell of going through. The ink is still wet on the Downtown plan and the first test of the oldtown design guidelines to come through wants to push the boundaries. Fat chance they will be roasted on the proverbial spit. The whole basis of height on that site is based on the Yarrow next door they will either have to shrink or forget building there. They could easily apply for a high density on the site as that will "fit in" but no height increase will be given.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Geez, here I am worrying about the design like a silly goose, and meanwhile the whole thing's moot because it's ten feet too tall. I guess I'll never be a city councillor, what with my misplaced priorities.

"Parking lots are preferable to nice buildings that are a bit too tall."

"Parking lots are preferable to nice buildings that are a bit too tall."

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

"Parking lots are preferable to nice buildings that are a bit too tall." "Parking lots are preferable to nice buildings that are a bit too tall."

Ahh you have discovered the oath sworn by Victoria city councillors when they take office. We will now have to kill you.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Darn. Just as real estate prices might be starting to turn, too. Oh well, I had a good run.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

What's going on wid dis one?

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

This should be public fairly soon. The developer is trying to work within the existing zoning guidelines. The top three penthouse storeys of this 11-storey residential building will be set back in a sort of half-moon shape, not as seen on the MCP listing.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

^Thanks for the info, Rob.

#18 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

the half-moon thing sounds cool. 3 penthouse stories sounds like a lot for an 11-story building though.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

This should be public fairly soon. The developer is trying to work within the existing zoning guidelines. The top three penthouse storeys of this 11-storey residential building will be set back in a sort of half-moon shape, not as seen on the MCP listing.

Are any current renderings available for this project?

#20 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

http://www.vibrantvi...es/mcp/0057.htm

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users