Photo

Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1451 replies to this topic

#261 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

...older buildings, like Nparkers, were built with them not required and will never be required. I also think the drains do not always work.

While there is a pan under my hot water tank, and presumably beneath the others in my building, for whatever reason, a number of units have experienced flooding when hot water tanks failed. I do not know if there was an issue with drainage, but one owner had her place flooded twice due to a neighbouring hot water tank issue. About 10 years ago our strata mandated that hot water tanks needed to be under warranty. If not, damages occurring as a result of tanks failing would be charged to the owner of the faulty device. I doubt any owners wanted to be responsible for these expenses or perhaps worse have them charged to our individual insurance policies (the deductible alone quite likely being more than the cost of new hot water tank).

#262 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

I have never seen the pan drain work personally, I just know they are required (the plumbing inspector was mad that I didn't know, but I am not a plumber or tradesman either).  I think if mine failed in my basement I could easily see a 50k+ bill. 

Mental note to self - sell my house at 9.5 years old lol

#263 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

I have never seen the pan drain work personally, I just know they are required (the plumbing inspector was mad that I didn't know, but I am not a plumber or tradesman either).  I think if mine failed in my basement I could easily see a 50k+ bill. 

Mental note to self - sell my house at 9.5 years old lol

My uncle's hot water tank blew three weeks before they were scheduled to move. A friend of his had his tank go four days before the new owners took possession. And that was a big natural gas tank--$2000.

#264 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

The pans are only there for small leaks. 

I don't think there's much you can do for a major failure. The same as any plumbing disaster, I guess. 

• Matt R. likes this

#265 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

While there is a pan under my hot water tank, and presumably beneath the others in my building, for whatever reason, a number of units have experienced flooding when hot water tanks failed. I do not know if there was an issue with drainage, but one owner had her place flooded twice due to a neighbouring hot water tank issue. About 10 years ago our strata mandated that hot water tanks needed to be under warranty. If not, damages occurring as a result of tanks failing would be charged to the owner of the faulty device. I doubt any owners wanted to be responsible for these expenses or perhaps worse have them charged to our individual insurance policies (the deductible alone quite likely being more than the cost of new hot water tank).

Generally speaking, strata law states that the strata is responsible to insure original fixtures.  This is usually taken to mean that regardless of the cause, the strata must pay for damages exceeding the strata's insurance deductible.  (ie, if there's $6,000 worth of damage to original fixtures (like drywall) and the deductible is $5,000, then the strata is to make an insurance claim.  If the damage originates from faulty equipment in a strata lot, it's usually the case that the owner would claim against his insurance the cost of the strata's deductible. 

If the damage is les than the strata's insurance deductible, then the strata shouldn't be involved at all (aside from ensuring restoration services attend promptly and ensuring the owners repair their strata lots) and there'd be no need to charge anything back to the owner responsible for the leak.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#266 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

The B.C. government has announced the creation of a task force to review the province’s rental housing regulations and come up with solutions to address affordability..."Our laws haven’t kept up with the changing housing market, and that has left both renters and landlords vulnerable,” said Premier Horgan...This is a deliberate and direct attempt to try to find security of tenure for those who are wanting to stay in their homes and also to provide a level of comfort to those who are putting their assets into the rental market, that they’re not going to be left behind...

https://www.cheknews...ability-437840/

#267 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

^ Ya right. How in the heck can the government say this with a straight face?

“Our laws haven’t kept up with the changing housing market, and that has left both renters and landlords vulnerable,” said Premier Horgan.
  • tjv likes this

#268 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

I'm sure it will reduce supply. I know if the forced pets thing goes ahead then I'll pull my units and sell them.

#269 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:08 PM

^ I am not sure you are allowed to "pull your units". Selling is not an approved reason for evicting tenants. 

• landlord is selling the property, the purchaser or a close family member of the purchaser intends to move into the rental unit, the purchaser asks the landlord in writing to end the tenancy, and all of the conditions of the sale have been satisfied. Simply listing a rental unit for sale is not enough.

http://tenants.bc.ca/evictions/

#270 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

The pans are only there for small leaks. 

I don't think there's much you can do for a major failure. The same as any plumbing disaster, I guess. 

Generally that's true, it won't help if a tank blows, but then again a water pipe can start to leak or even blow anywhere in your place

With the forced pet potential, is there a rule that says what a landlord is allowed to charge for a pet damage deposit.  To me it should be the max cost to replace all the floors in the unit and then some.  I could easily see $10k+ for a small condo

#271 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

I'm sure it will reduce supply. I know if the forced pets thing goes ahead then I'll pull my units and sell them.

Having had pets for years I can attest to the fact that even with the best intentions and care, they can do major damage to floors and other fixtures over a fairly short period of time. Forcing landlords to permit pets in their homes is stupid.

#272 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

^ Ya right. How in the heck can the government say this with a straight face?

“Our laws haven’t kept up with the changing housing market, and that has left both renters and landlords vulnerable,” said Premier Horgan.

I have heard that the report will be due shortly after the next election.

#273 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

^ I am not sure you are allowed to "pull your units". Selling is not an approved reason for evicting tenants. 

•  

http://tenants.bc.ca/evictions/

I mean sell them I don't care what happens to the tenants. 

#274 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:23 PM

Having had pets for years I can attest to the fact that even with the best intentions and care, they can do major damage to floors and other fixtures over a fairly short period of time. Forcing landlords to permit pets in their homes is stupid.

Especially since me and my entire family is allergic to them. But who cares right? I'm just a greedy landlord or whatever. A speculator, a hoarder, a criminal gangster.

#275 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

...I don't care what happens to the tenants. 

You don't say.

Edited by Nparker, 11 April 2018 - 03:32 PM.

#276 Cityguy

Cityguy
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

Why would ANYONE in their right mind want to become, or continue being, a landlord anymore? The Province continually emphasizes "tenants rights" with little, or no thought given to the rights of Landlords.

We saved, invested, maintained, worked, dealt with all manner of deadbeat tenants and now we're looking at yet more draconian laws to "protect" tenants...or should that be to give tenants total control over the landlords premises.

We've seen it all and are now throwing-in the towel....it just isn't worth it anymore, financially or otherwise. 

Goodbye...and good luck to anyone who believes that property rentals are a good investment.

• jonny likes this

#277 Greysangel

Greysangel
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Can someone tell me the minimum rent you think it would be to rent a small good house in the core? How about Sidney?
Would $2-2,500.00 a month get you a nice two bedroom apartment in either of those areas?
For two older people who have always been homeowners but can’t afford to buy back into the Vic market.

#278 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Just plug what you are looking for into Craigslist and you'll get a good idea.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#279 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

Can someone tell me the minimum rent you think it would be to rent a small good house in the core? How about Sidney?
Would $2-2,500.00 a month get you a nice two bedroom apartment in either of those areas?
For two older people who have always been homeowners but can’t afford to buy back into the Vic market.

A condo for 2500 is easily had, I believe. Not so sure about a small house.

#280 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:38 AM

I highly doubt you can get a small house for 2000-2500, a 2 bedroom condo certainly, but please let us know what you find

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users