Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1451 replies to this topic

#821 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

^good luck ever buying a house then.  When you make an offer you have to include a certified cheque for the non refundable deposit

That's not true.

You only need to give your deposit within 24 hours of subject removal of accepted offer.

Edited by lanforod, 07 December 2018 - 08:40 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#822 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

Once the buyer lifts conditions a certified cheque is indeed forwarded to the seller, but not when you make an offer, not when that offer is accepted nor any time until the buyer lifts conditions and proceeds. If you are unable to proceed after you’ve lifted conditions and made your deposit, there is a high likelihood that deposit will not be returned.

On the other hand if you make an unconditional offer you should probabaly have cash/cheque at the ready immediately.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#823 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

Huh, yeah I've never even been asked for a security deposit with an application either. In the four places I've rented, after I've been offered the place I'll bring the security deposit and first month's rent when I meet with the land lord to sign the lease.

Edited by Mattjvd, 07 December 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#824 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

I've always had to fork over a certified cheque when making an offer on a house.  How else are they going to take you seriously and show you are prepared to put your money where your mouth is.  I know if I was selling my house today and someone made an offer with no deposit, they can easily walk away with no downfall so I wouldn't take them seriously

I thought that a deposit was standard, maybe Marko can weigh in

As for landlords, that is what I seem to recall, but its been awhile since I made an application to rent.  In this rental market where there are probably 10 applications for ever rental, landlords have the upper hand and I am sure are picking the best applicants.  I definitely don't like the conditions the government is putting on landlords, I guess the government doesn't want fresh rentals to come onto the market anytime soon!

#825 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

I've always had to fork over a certified cheque when making an offer on a house.

Then you've been bamboozled and should seek alternative representation when putting together future offers.

But maybe you're confusing putting together an offer and lifting conditions? When your conditions are lifted, at that point you provide a deposit. But what's the benefit to you to do so when making an offer? The seller either accepts it or rejects it.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#826 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:46 AM

I've always had to fork over a certified cheque when making an offer on a house.  How else are they going to take you seriously and show you are prepared to put your money where your mouth is.  I know if I was selling my house today and someone made an offer with no deposit, they can easily walk away with no downfall so I wouldn't take them seriously

I thought that a deposit was standard, maybe Marko can weigh in

As for landlords, that is what I seem to recall, but its been awhile since I made an application to rent.  In this rental market where there are probably 10 applications for ever rental, landlords have the upper hand and I am sure are picking the best applicants.  I definitely don't like the conditions the government is putting on landlords, I guess the government doesn't want fresh rentals to come onto the market anytime soon!

The deposit is standard (it's not actually not legally required, but is standard practice for a 5% or greater deposit). The timing of when it is given is where you're wrong - the offer has to be accepted before you need to give the deposit - the exact timing should be included in the contract, standard is 24 hours.

However, per the below link, it should be given as soon as the offer is accepted, not necessarily before the subjects are removed.

https://www.recbc.ca.../psm/deposits/ 

#827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

However, per the below link, it should be given as soon as the offer is accepted, not necessarily before the subjects are removed.

I think you meant to say that withholding the deposit prior to lifting conditions is not necessarily the case for some?

Know it all.

#828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

Typically the process works like so:

- buyer makes an offer with or without conditions

- seller accepts the offer with conditions, or

- seller accepts the offer without conditions, and

- buyer pursues measures to work towards lifting conditions, or

- buyer prepares the deposit should there be no conditions, or

- buyer prepares the deposit once conditions have been lifted.

If it worked any other way you'd have sellers collecting offers from buyers, cashing their cheques and making a pretty good income doing so while never selling their home.

Know it all.

#829 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:57 AM

The deposit is standard (it's not actually not legally required, but is standard practice for a 5% or greater deposit). The timing of when it is given is where you're wrong - the offer has to be accepted before you need to give the deposit - the exact timing should be included in the contract, standard is 24 hours.

https://www.recbc.ca.../psm/deposits/ 

Ah fair enough, I always made my offers no subject to's.  I remember giving the certified cheque within 24 hours of my offer thou

Edit:  I'm also remembering a time when I went to make an offer on a foreclosure in court and I had to have the deposit certified cheque with me when I was in court that day.  Relatives of the owner paid off the balance the night before court so it didn't go ahead, but I had my certified cheque all ready

Edited by tjv, 07 December 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#830 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

If it worked any other way you'd have sellers collecting offers from buyers, cashing their cheques and making a pretty good income doing so while never selling their home.

That's why there are trust accounts

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Foreclosures are a completely different process and have different rules.

And a trust account doesn't factor into the equation if you've already provided someone a cheque.

But it sounds like you've been making unconditional offers, which is completely opposite to an offer with conditions. If the former is all you've done then you would be providing a certified cheque immediately, but unconditional offers is not a standard practice.

Know it all.

#832 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:38 PM

-buyer makes offer. the offer states what the deposit amount will be.

-if seller does not accept the offer, no deposit changes hands / deposit cheque doesn't need to exist

-if seller accepts the offer (regardless of whether there are conditions), the deposit is given in trust (to seller's representative- realtor or lawyer)

-if the conditions aren't lifted and the deals falls thru, the buyer gets the deposit back

-if the sale closes, the deposit is applied to the purchase

so yes, you include mention of a deposit when you make an offer, and you get a certified cheque made, but you only give it to the seller's representative when the offer is accepted (and it isn't cashed at this time). it only get's cashed if/when the sale completes.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:52 PM

That’s so silly.

Nobody expects a deposit in trust prior to lifting conditions. You lift conditions and supply a deposit. I’d tell my agent to take a hike if I was told I immediately needed to certify a cheque before the housing inspector even untied his ladder.

Know it all.

#834 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

but what happens if the house inspector gives it a good bill of health and you work to remove the other conditions.  Meanwhile the house owner continues it for sale and when you are ready to close you are told its sold.  If I was the seller I am not holding anything until I see cash because you could walk away if you find a scratch in the floor.  In my mind no deposit = not serious

Obviously you would only give the deposit into a legal trust account and not some stranger

#835 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

That’s simply an accepted offer with conditions. A deposit to secure an accepted offer is normal. A deposit along with an offer is not.

#836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

If your offer is accepted with your conditions, the home can’t be sold to anyone else until your offer expires.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#837 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

Whatever you're saying and even if you have have done in the past doesn't follow the link I provided from recbc, Mike. Go read it.

David is correct.

Also, as per that link, it doesn't HAVE to be a certified cheque. It's just recommended it is (or a bank draft).

#838 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

Our last deposit was simply from our credit union into the trust fund of our lawyer, at the same branch, but they have trust accounts with every bank for this purpose. 5% of the purchase price after conditions were removed. It’s that typical?

Matt.

#839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:32 PM

Who’s David?

Matt, was your deposit handed in before or after conditions were lifted?

Know it all.

#840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Oh, I should add that with pre-sales you “do” need to place a deposit down immediately (well, a cheque) then you have a week for the recision period.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)