Photo

Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1451 replies to this topic

#881 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:31 PM

The situation is actually pretty good, relatively speaking. Things will heat up even more once the students return in the fall. There are students out there putting money down right now for suites they won't occupy till August that's how desperate some are. 

there is also many of students out there trying to sublet their current units for the summer months so they don't have to give up their suite  and come back and have to find a new, higher priced rental

#882 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

I wonder if the owners of the buildings are aware of this. I know I wouldn't be allowed to sublet.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#883 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:13 AM

Indeed. Many are doing it without the lanflord’s permission, and they might find they have no apartment upon their return to Victoria. Subletting is a huge no-no unless you’ve got written permission.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#884 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:18 AM

Indeed. Many are doing it without the lanflord’s permission, and they might find they have no apartment upon their return to Victoria. Subletting is a huge no-no unless you’ve got written permission.

I dont get why they wouldn't get the written permission. Landlords are basically not allowed to say no to sublet requests.

#885 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:36 AM

When was that rule implemented? 

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#886 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

For assignments, a landlord can collect information and perform a credit check on a proposed tenant and can refuse to allow the assignment if they aren’t satisfied that the proposed tenant will be able or likely to pay rent. The fees associated with confirming a proposed tenant’s suitability cannot be passed on to the original tenant.

https://www2.gov.bc....-and-assignment

However dispute resolution is possible if:

Tenants can apply for dispute resolution if they believe their landlord has been unreasonable in refusing to allow a sublet or assignment.

#887 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

When was that rule implemented?

been the rule forever but not sure how well it’s ever been tested.

#888 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:50 AM

The way I read the tenancy act if the rental is month to month then the tenant can not automatically sublease. If it is fixed term and there is 6 months or more remaining on the term then the landlord can not “unreasonably” withhold a sublease.

Assignment and subletting
34 (1) Unless the landlord consents in writing, a tenant must not assign a tenancy agreement or sublet a rental unit.
(2) If a fixed term tenancy agreement has 6 months or more remaining in the term, the landlord must not unreasonably withhold the consent required under subsection (1).
(3) A landlord must not charge a tenant anything for considering, investigating or consenting to an assignment or sublease under this section.
  • Kungsberg, VIResident and Teardrop like this

#889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

Ah, that's more like it.

Know it all.

#890 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

^ yeah good point. That's actually one of the rare arguments in favour of going month to month!

#891 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

Couldn't you just let a "guest" stay in your unit and you continue to pay the rent? Obviously has some risk associated with it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#892 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

A guest is no longer a guest after 7 days (I think).

There are only so many days a guest can stay. I was going to have someone stay in my place when I went on vacation in February. My landlord said I either had to put them on the lease or sublet to them for a month.

#893 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:39 AM

Here is how “guests” are referred to.

http://tenants.bc.ca/guests/

#894 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Per Sparky's link, 14 consecutive day limit is not an unreasonable maximum (it's not in the law, but it is in one of the RTB decisions). So having someone 'house-sit' for a month does not have to be allowed by a landlord.

#895 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

My guest would of been there for a total of 40 days.

I wonder how this subletting works when it comes time for the person to leave the premises and they say they don't want to?

#896 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

You think you got it bad...

Owner of 634-square-foot New York condo subdivides it into eleven units with 4 1/2 foot ceilings:

One tenant who didn’t want to be named told The Post that he and the others had just been ordered to vacate the top floors.

He said the landlord — whom he would not name — had charged him $600 a month for his tiny unit, where he’d lived  for the past two months.

He couldn’t say how many tenants shared the condo with him. “I don’t know exactly how many,” he said, as he walked away carrying two large suitcases. “But there was a good amount.”

https://nypost.com/2...rce=twitter_app

#897 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

First-look--Public-square-and-green-space-at-heart-of-mixed-use-1,500-rental-unit-Harris-Green-Village-redev.jpg

A Pemberton Holmes vehicle is parked between two Langford rental properties, Peatt Commons, phase 1 which is now fully leased, and Peatt Commons, phase 2 slated for completion in early 2020. The Westshore, and in particular the City of Langford, has absorbed the Capital Region's majority of new rental density since 2015, with much of the inventory of modern apartments managed by Pemberton Holmes' Property Management Division.

Langford's housing push delivers 2,000 apartments as Capital builds out of tight rental market

https://victoria.cit...vacancy-crunch/

fA surge of purpose-built rental apartments on Victoria’s Westshore has been a driving force in the rebound of housing availability in the Capital during a prolonged vacancy crunch.

Since the mid-2010s dozens of rental complexes have materialized from Sooke to Sidney, but nowhere has their impact been more pronounced than in the City of Langford where 2,000 out of a regional total of 3,700 new apartment suites were completed in recent years, according to Citified’s data.

With a population of 35,000, the municipality has absorbed Greater Victoria’s highest per-capita share of new rental inventory thanks largely to its rapid-fire municipal approvals process, a welcoming attitude towards densification and the public’s growing recognition of Langford as a desirable urban-meets-suburban community. [Full article]

• Jacques Cadé likes this
Know it all.

#898 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

Since the mid-2010s dozens of rental complexes have materialized from Sooke to Sidney, but nowhere has their impact been more pronounced than in the City of Langford where 2,000 out of a regional total of 3,700 new apartment suites were completed in recent years, according to Citified’s data.

Good to know. So these are completed units? What's the time period covered? And how do those numbers compare to the City of Victoria?

If Langford is a new urban center, that boosts the case for improved use of the E&N right-of-way, methinks.

#899 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:53 PM

The CMHC's 2018 rental market report shows Langford/View Royal/Colwood/Sooke together as having more rental apartments than Oak Bay does, but they're still a long way behind Esquimalt.

CMHC-Rental_Market_Report-Victoria_CMA-2018.png

CMHC-Rental_Market_Report-Victoria_CMA-2016.png

from https://www.cmhc-sch...s-major-centres

Edited by aastra, 04 December 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#900 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Well if all of the rental housing in the universe is located in the CRD then of course there's a housing crisis

Capture.PNG

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users