Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1451 replies to this topic

#1021 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

Any language I have seen specifically suggest evictions related to Covid 19. I would love some clarity, but I can’t find it. This likely will not impact us and our two current tenants as we already have an agreement but as with all of these announcements this week, pretty light on the details.

Matt.

but just claiming hardship on the part of the person being evicted would be good enough to end all types of evictions though, right?  so that becomes a potential "eviction related to Covid" that is suspended.

so maybe if i was scheduled to move out due to a house turning over in a sale, and was set to move and make moving arrangements and sign a lease for a more expensive place or whatever, but then i lose my job and can't afford that move and new place and all the expenses.  so i insist in staying put in that original home even as it's sold and changes hands.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 01:29 PM.

#1022 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

Hmm perhaps. Claiming hardship means you have to show it, right?

In our case one tenant already has secured another rental and the other is currently living with their family in a different town. I can’t see them claiming hardship on us, but that’s a good point.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 27 March 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#1023 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

Hmm perhaps. Claiming hardship means you have to show it, right?

i guess it depends on the test right?  will you have to show all your bank accounts?  your rrsp value (YES, anyone at any time can drain their rrsp to zero if they want/need)?  the value of your car?  your friends and family ability to loan you money? 

it's hard to imagine the hardship test would be very onerous.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 01:35 PM.

#1024 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:43 PM

...anyone at any time can drain their rrsp to zero if they want/need

Better to drain your TFSA, n'est-ce pas?

#1025 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

Yes to all but the friends and family part.

Matt.

#1026 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

Better to drain your TFSA, n'est-ce pas?

well I’m not commenting on which or any, but for many tests, the definition of hardship can vary.

you can get social assistance in the province while still holding a tiny bit of cash and a vehicle worth up to $5000 for example.

a “family” can own a home and still get full social assistance.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 02:17 PM.

#1027 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:11 PM

So if I am not allowed to increase the rent on my tenant that has a suite attached to my house that does mean the my property taxes will not go up this year?

I bet I get at least at 3+% increase that includes my suite that I will have to eat.

#1028 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:29 PM

So if I am not allowed to increase the rent on my tenant that has a suite attached to my house that does mean the my property taxes will not go up this year?

I bet I get at least at 3+% increase that includes my suite that I will have to eat.

How about a 20%-30%+ increase? A municipality cannot run a deficit by law. Any expenditures in excess of revenue have to be carried forward to the next year as an expense when budgeted. Consider all of the revenue that is being lost plus all of the additional expenses the City is incurring and the fact that every employee (other than casual) is still getting a full paycheque and the bill is going to add up really quickly.

#1029 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

How about a 20%-30%+ increase? A municipality cannot run a deficit by law. Any expenditures in excess of revenue have to be carried forward to the next year as an expense when budgeted. Consider all of the revenue that is being lost plus all of the additional expenses the City is incurring and the fact that every employee (other than casual) is still getting a full paycheque and the bill is going to add up really quickly.

what are some income streams they are losing?

development costs charges a bit although some/most construction is continuing.

here is the cov 2017:

i assume a small part of "sales of goods and services" is recreation centre income.   and parking will be a big bunch.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2020 - 05:39 PM.

#1030 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

Parking and development-related earnings would be the largest.

Property taxes are paid by the banks for many homeowners with a mortgage, and lots who don’t have a mortgage don’t pay anyways. Commercial property taxes have been paid by tenants through March, leaving only April rents unpaid but there’s a chance most landlords will still pay the full tax on behalf of all tenants.

Now all that being said I think the City could actually see quite a dip in operating costs with so many staff not working.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:45 PM

Oh, they would fall in under sale of goods and services, I guess?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1032 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:47 PM

So as a retired senior why should I be asked to subside a rent freeze????

#1033 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

So as a retired senior why should I be asked to subside a rent freeze????

For the same reason that as a single, childless person I pay school taxes?

#1034 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:53 PM

^ Single childless people went to school too. Who paid for that?

#1035 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

It's going to be hard to do the accounting for a while. Some revenue is gone/low, but that is countered by many costs also being low/gone. Why keep the lights on and pools heated when they are all closed? No need to buy Ben's lunches. I'm sure non-union staff are laid off, so there will be some payroll gone too. etc. etc.

#1036 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:13 AM

What’s the budget again? $250M?

Know it all.

#1037 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:48 AM

Order regarding evictions has been issued.  Section 49, (owner use), notices issued prior to today's order date remain in effect.  Further notices moving forward cannot be issued until the state of emergency ends.  Nice to see some clarity provided on this issue, and also nice to see it strikes a balance in these difficult times.  Link here

#1038 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

It's going to be hard to do the accounting for a while. Some revenue is gone/low, but that is countered by many costs also being low/gone. Why keep the lights on and pools heated when they are all closed? No need to buy Ben's lunches. I'm sure non-union staff are laid off, so there will be some payroll gone too. etc. etc.

True but most of this stuff can be modeled out fairly easily. Victoria has large budgets for parking, the conference centre and entertainment. 

#1039 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

check back here tomorrow and wednesday to see if defaults are common.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2020 - 12:06 PM.

#1040 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

check back here tomorrow and wednesday to see if defaults are common.

Like they won't report EI applications, the Government isn't going to report mortgage defaults.

As tight as funds are for a lot of people, the fact that the waiting period for EI was lifted and most folks have only been unemployed for 2 weeks max has me questioning how many people truly don't have money for rent vs how many don't want to pay rent. 

Edited by spanky123, 30 March 2020 - 12:34 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users