Photo

Victoria's residential rental market

• Please log in to reply
1445 replies to this topic

#61 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

Manhattan rents fell 2.7% in December to median of $3,295 http://on.wsj.com/2D2xQRz 

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

I blame Trunp!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

I'm a life long renter, and always will be.  It's cheaper for me to rent, then to have a mortgage, so it just makes sense.

Luckily I got into my current place before the Rental Prices went through the roof, so I am paying literally Hundreds of dollars less per month then the tenant in the exact same apartment above me does who moved in later (and our apartments are identical).

Heat/Hot water included. Can't get much better in VIC at this time then what I got.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:27 AM

Saw this table on skyscraperpage.com in the "housing bubble" thread. Somebody replied, "Sad to see how far behind Montreal every other city is in creating rental units."

KPTJNkn.png

#65 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

I'm a life long renter, and always will be.  It's cheaper for me to rent, then to have a mortgage, so it just makes sense.

Luckily I got into my current place before the Rental Prices went through the roof, so I am paying literally Hundreds of dollars less per month then the tenant in the exact same apartment above me does who moved in later (and our apartments are identical).

Heat/Hot water included. Can't get much better in VIC at this time then what I got.

Fair enough, but if your landlord ever decides to reno your unit you could be out in 2 months so he could likely double the rent

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Taco, on 11 Feb 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

...It may only be necessary to wean the city (CRD) off the condo development tax waterfall long enough to issue the odd rental permit.

But that is already happening. I have lived in the CRD for 40 years and I cannot recall a time when as many purpose-built rentals were coming onto the market as they have in the past couple of years (and will continue to do so). In addition, (at least in the CoV), there hasn't been a single condo development approved in the past 3 years where the city didn't explicitly demand it have no rental restrictions. It seems to me that new rental accommodation construction must be close to a modern high in the CRD.

#67 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

I blame Trunp!

You sure its not Obama's fault?
  • Star Dust likes this

#68 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

Saw this table on skyscraperpage.com in the "housing bubble" thread. Somebody replied, "Sad to see how far behind Montreal every other city is in creating rental units."

KPTJNkn.png

Hmmm. Montreal was always a city of renters. Used to have great value rentals. We had a 5-room upper duplex utilities included in a great middle class neighbourhood $140/month. Moved to Halifax 1975 and a 2 bedroom 3 floor walkup dump in a sketchy hood was $185.

#69 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

It's time for Victoria to build UP.

40, 50, 75 story rental buildings with retail space on the ground level.

Victoria can't keep it's "Below 30" height forever. We are growing, the population is increasing.

We must plan ahead of time to keep up with it, instead of running into a rental market crisis that we are now sitting in.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

There is no reason that Victoria must go up, and nobody is gonna build a 75-floor rental building, they do not exist in cities of our size.  Residential towers of that size are extremely rare.  There are only 3 in all of the USA.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 February 2018 - 02:14 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

There is no reason that Victoria must go up, and nobody is gonna build a 75-floor rental building, they do not exist in cities of our size.  Residential towers of that size are extremely rare.  There are only 3 in all of the USA.

Then I guess it's time to put Victoria on the map. If The USA has 3, I say we can have 6.

Change is coming. Change is Good.  "WE ARE CHANGE"

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Then I guess it's time to put Victoria on the map. If The USA has 3, I say we can have 6.

That's not how "economics" works.

• Matt R. likes this

#73 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

That's not how "economics" works.

It's not how the economics works, but rather how one works the economics. ;)

#74 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Change is coming. Change is Good.  "WE ARE CHANGE"

Thank god its a free country, you are free to build a 75 storey rental high rise if you feel it will work.  Let us know how you make out and please keep us all here informed on your progress

• VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

There is no reason that Victoria must go up,

True, there is no reason that we must go up, but we really should be where we can.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#76 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,241 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

There are plenty of reasons
  • Star Dust likes this

#77 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:59 PM

It's time for Victoria to build UP.

40, 50, 75 story rental buildings with retail space on the ground level.

Victoria can't keep it's "Below 30" height forever. We are growing, the population is increasing.

We must plan ahead of time to keep up with it, instead of running into a rental market crisis that we are now sitting in.

Put them in Langford.  And move some of the Government offices or other businesses there too.  Don't ruin downtown Victoria. We'll just become another American city if we build "up" in downtown Victoria.  We need a new "City" in Canada.

#78 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

Put them in Langford.  And move some of the Government offices or other businesses there too.  Don't ruin downtown Victoria. We'll just become another American city if we build "up" in downtown Victoria.  We need a new "City" in Canada.

I totally agree with moving Government offices to the West Shore. And I think Stu would more then welcome it. Would be most excellent for the West Shore, and it would help reduce the traffic congestion coming into town BIG TIME!  as so many government workers live in the West Shore.

That being said, I love the look of a "West Coast" style city scape with high rises. Look at Vancouver for example and you will see it's unique in how they have done it.  It's doesn't look like New York, it doesn't look like Toronto. It looks like Vancouver.

The High Rises I envision for Victoria, would be "Victoria Style" in design, architecture and COLOR. Especially the COLOR.  Like a piece of Canvas that and artist paints on Victoria could have the best looking high rises in all of Canada. And the positioning of them is EVERYTHING.  Under my leadership, Victoria would become the AFFORDABLE RENTAL MARKET Capital of Canada by building UP that would benefit both people who make a lower income, as well as those who make a higher income.  In the end it's a WIN WIN strategy.

Edited by Star Dust, 11 February 2018 - 11:17 PM.

#79 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:06 AM

Nparker and Star Dust.

I case you are wondering where your childish after midnight posts went, I hid them from our reader's view. They were of no value to anyone.

I am starting to get a little tired of having to remind people about the "etiquette" that is expected of contributors when posting to this forum.

Nparker, you should know better. You have been around long enough to know the drill.

Star Dust, you seem to be a slow learner. It is frustrating having to instruct a grown man on how to post respectfully....even if they are new. 

I find it down right rude to come here when I can't sleep in order to catch up on some topics that I have been keenly interested in.......and then spend my time cleaning up your mess. 

Stop it.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#80 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:22 AM

Under my leadership, Victoria would become the AFFORDABLE RENTAL MARKET Capital of Canada by building UP that would benefit both people who make a lower income, as well as those who make a higher income.  In the end it's a WIN WIN strategy.

Under your leadership?  does that mean you are running for elected office?  Or perhaps you want to become a developer of affordable rental housing?

Victoria will never be an affordable rental/buyers market.  Too much demand for little availability.  Basic economics there.  If you want an affordable rental market, try renting where demand is low like in parts of Saskatchewan or Manitoba, but dress warm.

Also you do understand building high rises is much more expensive than 4 storey wood frames?  I'd have to run the numbers, but I am going to ballpark it around 30-35% more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)