Photo

Restaurant, Bar, Lounge or reasonable fascimiles: DEATHWATCH

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Here is a place where you can list the establishments soon to die or will die from day one.

What is it that prompts some people to get in the business? Who do some people think they are trying to run a food and beverage establishment?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

Here is a place where you can list the establishments soon to die or will die from day one.

What is it that prompts some people to get in the business? Who do some people think they are trying to run a food and beverage establishment?

Familiarity, and seeming simplicity.

Familiarty in that EVERYONE has been to a restaurant and undertands what the basic premise is. And looking at every facet of the business, it appears that almost anyone could do any task involved in the enterprise. You can't say that about a computer software company, or construction co. or factory. So folks with money think, hey, here is a business I could do. then they soon find out that margins are quite thin, esp. in "middle-of-the-road" restaurants. That's the reason that even successful national chains, are very, very often franchises. They still require the dedicated day-to-day oversight of managers (operators, owners) with a vested financial interest in the business success.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

Dead as of about 2 weeks ago.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

Anthony Bourdain discusses this very topic in his hilariously excellent book "[url=http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Adventures-Culinary-Underbelly/dp/0060934913:c8f9f]Kitchen Confidential[/url:c8f9f]". Basically, the gullible guy believes it when his friends say, "You have a natural talent for food and entertaining--you should open a restaurant!!" Little does he know that running a restaurant bears no resemblance to hosting large dinner parties at his fancy home.

Or like they say, if you want to make a small fortune running a restaurant, start with a large fortune.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:09 PM

It sounds like many things were "free" at the Prime Time Sports Pub! And $5 brunches? Yikes, what did you get for $5? It is no wonder they went under.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

I like the "FREE Pool table's". I'm not sure what belonged to the tables, pool I suppose.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Any relation between Texas Holdem and Holden West?

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:13 PM

Yes, Texas Holdem is my smart-ass cohort from the Lone Star state.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:07 PM

You mean Neil Young?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

Bad grammar killed Prime Time.

That's catastrophic apostrophe abuse.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

You know a place is floundering when the best slogan they can come up with is "It's NOT the Ingy anymore".

Isn't that what happened with The Waddling Dog Inn? They tried to change the name to Quality or whatever big chain bought it but people wouldn't stop calling it by the old name, so the old name stuck?

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

I guess someone ought to put Guru in this thread.

#13 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

I guess someone ought to put Guru in this thread.

I think you just did.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

I see that the upstairs area of Guru was being used for [url=http://www.playwithyourfood.ca/Newweb/Venue.htm:86fc5]Dinner Theatre[/url:86fc5]. There's a poster on the door advertising the current play (which I assume is now cancelled or relocated) titled "Murder on a Hot Tin Roof" with the tag line, "A savoury tale of the ol' south...south Oak Bay".

yikes...

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

I see that the upstairs area of Guru was being used for [url=http://www.playwithyourfood.ca/Newweb/Venue.htm:ff6e2]Dinner Theatre[/url:ff6e2]. There's a poster on the door advertising the current play (which I assume is now cancelled or relocated) titled "Murder on a Hot Tin Roof" with the tag line, "A savoury tale of the ol' south...south Oak Bay".

yikes...

That's the dinner theatre that was formeraly above Noodle Box on Douglas.

#16 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

I see that the upstairs area of Guru was being used for [url=http://www.playwithyourfood.ca/Newweb/Venue.htm:47060]Dinner Theatre[/url:47060]. There's a poster on the door advertising the current play (which I assume is now cancelled or relocated) titled "Murder on a Hot Tin Roof" with the tag line, "A savoury tale of the ol' south...south Oak Bay".

yikes...

That's the dinner theatre that was formeraly above Noodle Box on Douglas.

No, when Villa Rosa use to own what is now Guru (down from the old Captain Cook Bakery (now Little Piggy's Bakery) on Fort at Vancouver they had upstairs dining also which could be used for private groups if required. Guru turned that into kind of a banquet room themselves and then I guess a dinner theater comapny wanted to use it for their play.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

When did Herald St. Cafe close? Just noticed it is vacant and for lease today.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

It was that way at least 2 months ago but not sure how much before then.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

There's still food in the display case, but the Rising Star Bakery on Broad St. is closed and a "For Lease" sign is in the window.

RIP

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

How is that art gallery and cafe place doing on Broad/Yates?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users