James Bay

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:30 AM

Douglas and Belleville is never really THAT bad I mean I have never considered it problem even when I lived there.

#22 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Victorians seem to consider possibly missing their light a "traffic nightmare".

#23 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

The DRC has not had access to the transportation study which the developer is required to produce for this site. James Bay residents recognize the corner of Douglas and Belleville Streets as a nightmare during tourist season. The intersection handles vehicular traffic funneled in from Blanshard, Coho & Ogden Point generated tourist traffic, tourists and local pedestrians (in and out of crosswalks), horse drawn carriages and buses. As one of the primary access/egress points to James Bay, Belleville Street and the impact of increased traffic is of great community concern.

Give me a break.
I lived in JB for three years and I've never came across a nightmare scenario when it came to traffic.

I had a good laugh when I read this too. Though I would have to agree with them when they close Gov't and Belleville. It can take a very long time to get through on Douglas.

I also have to say something about this publication. I don't understand why every story is editorialized. You are a community organization, you have the responsibility to inform your neighbourhood of the issues and facts and take your position on the subject from your members. Otherwise, it doesn't do much for your credibility.

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

The JB Beacon is online now if anyone's interested. I like to read the JBNEA section.

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

Nice tribute to Jesse Hyder there. Well deserved. He was the author of a lot of what makes James Bay desirable.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#26 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

I am looking for opinions on James Bay - what works well, what does not.

I am impressed with the walking culture of the neighbourhood.

I am not that impressed with the demographics of the area - not that many kids.

Can anyone tell me about the White Eagle Hall and what it is like to use?

Do the cornerstores thrive or not in James Bay

This is all for some pieces I want to do about James Bay, and eventually most neighbourhoods in the city.

#27 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

I am looking for opinions on James Bay - what works well, what does not.

I am impressed with the walking culture of the neighbourhood.

I am not that impressed with the demographics of the area - not that many kids.

Can anyone tell me about the White Eagle Hall and what it is like to use?

Do the cornerstores thrive or not in James Bay

This is all for some pieces I want to do about James Bay, and eventually most neighbourhoods in the city.

I've lived in James Bay since 1978 and the last time I moved I looked at other areas in the region and, while many areas are more affordable, I found it really hard to leave, and am now in a high rise condo (where I miss having a yard, but I can't have everything).

What I like:
accessibility - its an easy walk to downtown. If I don't want to walk I have a choice of at least 2 bus routes (plus the #5 and the #27, which I've never been able to figure out)

more on walkability - great opportunities to walk (or run, which I don't do) with lots of great routes to take - through the residential area, along the waterfront, or through Beacon Hill Park.

good services - health care at the JB Community Project, family programs at the Project and the Community School, a gas station, supermarket...

mixed housing stock - there is still enough of the historic residential neighbourhood to make it appealing to visitors. There are also rental apartments, townhouses and condos. The apts and condos provide housing for singles, seniors and couples.

What I don't like:
poor selection of restaurants - I'm more likely to head to downtown or Cook St if I want to go out to eat. (Heron Rocks is great, but sort of pricey). No sidewalk restaurants. (OK - don't tell me that I forgot about the Bent Mast. I didn't. It has had great musical events, but what it serves barely meets the definition of food)

noise - when I lived in the west end of James Bay it was the helicopters, float planes, and cruise ship loudspeakers. Now, living near Douglas and Superior, it is the sirens that can be annoying.

demographics - I don't mind that we have a high proportion of seniors, but it makes for quite a challenge for community organizations that need volunteers to keep them going. The JBNA (James Bay Neighbourhood Association) would love to have some active members and Board members who are under 50.

not enough affordable housing - other than the CRD or other subsidized housing, the cost of rents is a serious challenge, especially for people on fixed incomes. If your pension is $1,200/month and rent is $800, life becomes quite a challenge. Because of the accessibility the area is attractive to people who cannot afford a car, but where do they live? There are lots of single parents living in one bedroom apartments and families living in dodgy basement apartments....

dealing with the GVHA, which is all about making profit and doesn't care an iota about the public interest.
=====================================
White Eagle Hall - one of the best locations for a dance that I can think of. Over the years I've attended some great events there - all ages dances, fundraisers etc.

corner stores - I can only speak for the one that my friend owns. From my perspective it can be fun to have a business that is so much a part of the neighbourhood, but there can be challenges finding staff and as far as making a profit - lets just say that you need to think of it as a labour of love.
Pieta VanDyke

#28 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

New owner/management: James Bay Tea Room, closed Oct. 9, 10, 11 for renovations, reopening Oct. 12th.

jbw

ps. I'd post pics but haven't gotten around to finding a pic hosting site (and this site does not for most of us host pics).

#29 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

demographics - I don't mind that we have a high proportion of seniors, but it makes for quite a challenge for community organizations that need volunteers to keep them going. The JBNA (James Bay Neighbourhood Association) would love to have some active members and Board members who are under 50.

While I appreciate that you don't mind James Bay having a high proportion of seniors, I think the under 50 sentiment is misdirected. I know of someone who was in her early seventies heading a building association when she confronted Minister Bill Vander Zalm about a condominum category that had lost its HomeOwner Grant for several years, (she got it restored, woohoo! serious money over the subsequent decades for more than a 100 homeowners at her location alone, perhaps 800-900 homeowners in total).

jbw

#30 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

New owner/management: James Bay Tea Room, closed Oct. 9, 10, 11 for renovations, reopening Oct. 12th.

jbw

ps. I'd post pics but haven't gotten around to finding a pic hosting site (and this site does not for most of us host pics).

#31 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Went there recently out of curiosity. Worst. Benny. Ever.
Service was pretty horrendous as well. Place is an embarrassment.

#32 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hence the new management. Let's cross our fingers that October 12th will see the dawning of improved service.

They're crowded if you stop in during the neighbouring Legislative precinct's break times, else what caught your eye that was of concern?

jbw

editted to add: Did you know their history? I believe the former owners had run the Oak Bay Tea Room, sold that under the condition of not being in competition within five miles with a similar establishment, but turned around and opened the James Bay Tea Room (about 3.5 miles distant I think).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users