Photo

[Rockland - Victoria] 1322 Rockland Avenue condos | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 jonnex2

jonnex2
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

Could we have a current discussion on this property please? I was at the community association meeting and found the statments made by most people to not only be inaccurate but clearly self serving. My position is that to spend millions of dollars to save/restore a 100 year old mansion one would want to have to do it in a manor that would give it 100 more years. Having decided that the additional buildings would have to be designed and built that they too are worthy of being around in 100 years I would suggest. The design of what is proposed seems to fit that very well. It looks like a very expensive style of construction so I can understand why the need is for the maximum number of units. The problem I have with those who are against this is that they don't seem to realize that something has to be built there that would last that long and that the future generations would look back at today and see that we thought of the future. The conversations and people having them, about all the mansions in Rockland don't realize that not one of those large homes would be approved with the mind set of the residents and the community association. Shouldn't the architechs of today be given the freedoms that McClure and Rattanberry had? When do we start designing and approving buildings that people in 100 years will be wanting to fight to preserve? I have missed seeing them so if anyone can think of some please point them out to me. The true "character" of Rockland is the castles and mansions co-exsisting with the small single family homes. Lets start building some castles and mansions for the future generations to cherish.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

^ Couldn't agree more with statement about building great buildings now. Victorians seem comfortable with mediocrity for some reason.

As for 1322 I have not seen the current plans but I agree something has to be done there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

We have a thread for this under "Heritage" (see: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=587), so maybe it would make sense to merge this?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#24 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

Shouldn't the architechs of today be given the freedoms that McClure and Rattanberry had?

Their names are Maclure and Rattenbury.

#25 jonnex2

jonnex2
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:55 AM

thank you......so McClure Street isn't named after MacLure?

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:47 AM

Danda Humphries thinks McClure Street refers to either a 19th Century newspaperman/MLA or more likely, an Irish explorer from the same era (neighbouring Cook, Vancouver, Richardson, Humboldt, Meares and Collinson streets are also named after explorers).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

I couldn't agree with you more jonnex2.
I've merged the discussions from Heritage, and also one that I found buried here in the core. =)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

Good idea.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 jonnex2

jonnex2
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

As a near by resident I am fully supporting the proposed development of 1322 Rockland Ave. Having seen the plans, studied the drawings I believe this will be a future landmark property that will win awards and acolates for years to come. The owners of the units will be a tremedous asset to the community and I suspect (like myself) many will come from the Rockland area. As I approach the age that allows me to have a more carefree lifstyle I want this kind of home. With all do repsect to others choices I don't want to be forced to move to a tower downtown or across the way in Vic West. In support of the development I am asking that anyone willing to write a letter in support please forward it to Box Holder PO Box 5372 Station B Victoria V6R 6S4 or drop in my letter box at #3-753 Pemberton Road. The main issue is saving the mansion and restoring it to a condition to have it last another 100+ years costing millions of dollars (it is cheaper to build new). The complimentary buildings and homes around it will allow this, there numbers matter not. The design gives a beautiful backdrop for the mansion and full excess to the public through the park like grounds that is unprecedented and the developer should be reconnized for this. If anyone requires detailed info I will see to getting it for you.
Thank you.
PS I need these letters asap please as meetings ae being set up for early December.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

jonnex, I've merged your post into the existing thread for this project.

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

It's been nearly a year since any news on this.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

A-Channel reports:

Rockland Mansion Set to House Homeless

VICTORIA - Could a 10,000 square foot mansion built in 1894 be the next place Victoria’s homeless and mentally ill make their transition to a more stable life?

The answer is yes, if the city gets its way.

The Rockland area property is on track to become part of the city's strategy to house homeless people.

Nestled on the street that gives this upscale neighbourhood its name, the old mansion lies obscured from view. A “no trespassing” sign discourages unexpected guests.

But 1322 Rockland Ave. may soon be home to people who don't fit the residential profile, as the city considers turning the place into 35 units of supportive housing.

It's not a done deal yet, but one scenario might see the city, the Capital Regional District and the province kicking in the cash to fix it up and deal with the real estate issues.

Then, the Vancouver Island Health Authority might be tasked with running the facility.

Why Rockland? Victoria's mayor says it's up to all neighbourhoods to take responsibility for ending homelessness.

Plus, the area is no stranger to social services facilities: a recovery centre for alcoholics already exists on Pemberton Rd.

And it’s where the privately run Montreaux clinic used to operate.

Still, housing for the homeless a stone's throw from Government House, home to Lt.-Gov. Steven Point?

Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin says Point will be consulted, along with other neighbours in the area.

The rumor was going around a while ago that the property might be used for this. It won't need rezoning, since it was zoned as a health or care facility already.

There's also a halfway house on Rockland Ave. one house East of Cook St.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

I'm familiar with the detox center on Pemberton (no, not because I have been a client, but because I have worked for a contractor working there). It's pretty nice, and I think no bother to neighbours.

#34 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

A-Channel reports:Rockland Mansion Set to House HomelessVICTORIA - Could a 10,000 square foot mansion built in 1894 be the next place Victoria’s homeless and mentally ill make their transition to a more stable life?

The residential detox center on Pemberton St is small (10 residents at one time I think), tightly supervised, and fits into the area without any problem. But seems different then 35 housing units for the homeless/mentally ill (addictions) unless the plan calls for a supervised and secure facilty. Has that been clarified I wonder?

#35 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

I think this is a really good idea. This will be very near to where I live, and I will make sure to come out and support it when it comes before our CA. This neighbourhood is perfect for that kind of use.

We don't have the vulnerable residents that North Park and Burnside have, who are only one wrong step away from being homeless themselves. The neighbours around here have their own thing going, and are not likely to be sucked into any negative patterns the new residents might have. Because of this, the impact on the community will be much lighter than it would be if it was located in one of the poorer neighbourhoods.

And for the same reasons, the chance for the residents of the house to get away from their own street life is going to be much higher. This is a neighbourhood where people call the police if there is suspicious activity. It is far enough away from downtown to make the trek inconvenient but not impossible - another deterrent for hanging on to the downtown street life.

For anyone who has a mentally ill loved one, I know you would celebrate to see them housed in a place like this rather than trying to survive in the shelter system, side by side with predators, which is what is happening right now. I hope people who do understand what kind of struggle mentally-ill citizens go through will come out and speak for this at the CA.

Good for council for being pro-active about this, I hope they are able to show some leadership here and get this done.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#36 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

^ Good points, Caramia. I wonder if it even has to go before the CA, because the site is already zoned for care facility.

Incidentally, there's enough land around the buildings that you could even include a therapeutic farm or gardening component. Bee-keeping would be good, too. And maybe Bernard can consult on keeping chickens!

I would like to hear from the owner, though. Is she throwing in the towel after too many years of fighting the CA and the city in trying to develop the property?

#37 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

The neighbours around here have their own thing going, and are not likely to be sucked into any negative patterns the new residents might have. Because of this, the impact on the community will be much lighter than it would be if it was located in one of the poorer neighbourhoods.

I appreciate your comments in favour of this Cara - but I disagree that Rockland is 'more immune' to negative impact then any other neighbourhood in Victoria. Many of the old mansions are rental houses for singles, students and young families - struggling like everyone else. Children and teens in Rockland are as curious about, and vulnerable to, the drug culture as any other kids.

So whether it goes ahead or not - it will definately have an impact.

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

Well everything has an impact. What people need to consider is how to minimize the impact, and choose the least harm solution. Sure there are some families with curious teenagers around here, but you can't honestly compare the demographic to Burnside and say there is no difference. Just as I am sure there are some lower income people here, but you can't honestly be claiming that the neighbourhood is as vulnerable as North Park. I never suggested that Rockland is completely immune, but it is certainly "more immune" than the neighbourhoods where we have traditionally concentrated services.

If we are going to solve this, EVERY neighbourhood will need to take on some responsibility. The model we have been using where we dump services in the lowest income areas just cause they can't mobilize opposition, has been a dismal failure - locating services within a block of the lowest earning, highest welfare dependency census tract in Victoria, for instance. Rockland can do it's share, and it should. I know our community is one of the worst NIMBY power brokers in the city, but I believe that there are enough decent people here who will support this. They may even be some of those renters. :)

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:38 AM

From an article in the TC today by Bill Cleverly
http://www.timescolo...4233/story.html

Meanwhile, preliminary investigations are underway to transform one of Rockland's biggest and most storied houses into a similar type of centre providing beds for 35 people. VIHA says said it's been approached about running such a facility if the Capital Regional District and the city can secure it.

A number of years ago the mansion, at 1322 Rockland Ave., was home to a self-proclaimed baron from Oregon who talked his way into leasing it for $1 a year from the Anglican Church Women, the building's former owners. But the lease with Baron George von Bothmer zu Schwegerhof was cancelled in January 2004.

Built for Hewitt Bostock, founder of the Province newspaper, the mansion was used as a nursing home between 1950 and 1998.

Fortin said that as such, it retains its institutional zoning and wouldn't require rezoning if used as a transitional house.

Getting neighbourhood approval might be a battle though. The 2.2-acre site has been subject to a number of development proposals in recent years and Rockland residents have in the past opposed a plan for an 85-unit assisted-living complex there.

#40 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Built for Hewitt Bostock, founder of the Province newspaper, the mansion was used as a nursing home between 1950 and 1998.

I used to visit a couple of old dears when it was the Caroline Macklem home.
Interesting. if gloomy, old pile.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users