Photo

[Rockland - Victoria] 1322 Rockland Avenue condos | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

1322 Rockland was not Montreux House, nor do I believe it is the house that the self-proclaimed baron owned, I'm pretty sure his house was on Joan Crescent, right near Craigdarroch Castle. Montreux house was on Rockland but it was further east than 1322, very close to St. Charles.
In chains by Keynes

#42 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

Yah Montreux was East of St. Charles, but 1322 Rockland is indeed where the "Baron" was living - the property also touches Joan Cresc and Royal Terrace.

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

Yes, Baron George von Bothmer zu Schwegerhoff (aka The Baron of Beefs) lived briefly at 1322.

Source
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

lol look at that checkerboard suit

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Whatever happened to that guy? He was from Oregon or something... Wasn't he going to build a castle or rebuild a castle in Germany?

#46 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

LOL I just looked at the source on Holden's picture of the good Baron...apparently the shyster is now trying to bring a constitutional monarchy to Hungary...from a mailing address in Vancouver, Washington - I wonder if him and Thow ever met up down south...

#47 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

There's quite a bit about him on line.
This:

all original furnishings of the house were returned to the family estate in Schwegerhoff, Germany. Upon their return to Schwegerhoff, they were moved to the Droste Museum in Meersburg, Germany in 1948. From there they were brought to Oregon, USA by the Baroness Helene von Bothmer in 1990, where they remained in her collection until her death, February 23rd 1995. In 1998 they were brought to Victoria, B.C., Canada by Baron George von Bothmer zu Schwegerhoff and his wife Baroness Julie von Bothmer where they were placed upon the auctioneers block in April of 1999

and here he (?) replies to questions/accusations:

http://www.pestiside...enough-already/

#48 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yah Montreux was East of St. Charles, but 1322 Rockland is indeed where the "Baron" was living - the property also touches Joan Cresc and Royal Terrace.

I'll take your word for it since the proof I have to the contrary is far from conclusive. Get this though, the guy's full name and title isn't "Baron George von Bothmer zu Schwegerhof", believe it or not, that's actually the Coles notes version. His full name and title is, "Baron George Criser Graf und Frieherr von Bothmer zu Schwegerhoff"! And I thought middle-easterners had long names/titles! I actually met the guy years ago (he was a friend of a friend) and was introduced to him as simply, "George". Had I known the proper protocol, I would have bent down on one knee and kissed his hand. :D

All sarcasm aside, the guy may actually be royalty, i'm not exactly an expert in the field.
In chains by Keynes

#49 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

well if he's aristocracy he's got no business being in this town

#50 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

If I remember rightly, the dotty and widowed Baronesse Helene 'adopted' the smarmy con-artist as an adult. He grew up without a title in the California suburbs of SF? LA? He has no right to any title -- he just took it on himself when 'mommy' died. Apparently, the real owner of the title (inherited after the Baron's death) was royally pissed.

#51 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'll take your word for it since the proof I have to the contrary is far from conclusive. Get this though, the guy's full name and title isn't "Baron George von Bothmer zu Schwegerhof", believe it or not, that's actually the Coles notes version. His full name and title is, "Baron George Criser Graf und Frieherr von Bothmer zu Schwegerhoff"! And I thought middle-easterners had long names/titles! I actually met the guy years ago (he was a friend of a friend) and was introduced to him as simply, "George". Had I known the proper protocol, I would have bent down on one knee and kissed his hand. :D

All sarcasm aside, the guy may actually be royalty, i'm not exactly an expert in the field.

He's totally bogus and didn't have a dime.
Naive royalty-thirsty Victorians swallowed his hook.
King of a trailer park maybe. Not even "real" nobility like the US swindler "Sir" Allan Stanford. He bought his "knighthood" with a generous contribution to the Old Politician's Home in Antigua, that notable bastion of clean and transparent government

#52 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

^ groundlevel is right - he was some adopted stray.

Montreux was not ever 1322 Rockland. It was on Rockland, just east of St. Charles. The contact page on Montreux's old (??) site doesn't give a street address, unfortunately. (?? question marks because it looks like Peggy Claude-Pierre is working ...somewhere?, so, not defunct?)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#53 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

I like this description of Claude-Pierre: "This "angel" had become a psychological entrepreneur."

Psychological entrepreneur... Interesting concept.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#54 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

According to an article in the TC today, this property is currently being operated as a 35 (!!!) unit rooming house and the owner plans on bringing 100 chickens on Saturday:

http://www.timescolo...kens-1.23203551

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

According to an article in the TC today, this property is currently being operated as a 35 (!!!) unit rooming house and the owner plans on bringing 100 chickens on Saturday...

That must have the neighbours clucking enraged.

#56 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

According to an article in the TC today, this property is currently being operated as a 35 (!!!) unit rooming house and the owner plans on bringing 100 chickens on Saturday:

http://www.timescolo...kens-1.23203551

Hopefully their insurance company reads the article

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

100 chickens will run afowl of quota regs. Best stop at 99.

• Matt R. likes this

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

With the intention of providing her tenants two fresh eggs a day, Tu purchased the chickens from a farm in Duncan.

Hmmmmm...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

Is the property zoned for farming? Surely 100 chickens must be pushing the limit of what constitutes personal use.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

The rats are going to love this. Urban chicken coops are such a bad idea unless you’re incredibly dedicated and maintain the utmost care of your coop.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users