Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7635 replies to this topic

#3261 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,730 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

A number of years ago when I took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon, all passengers had to be weighed prior to boarding, as it was important to know and distribute weight as evenly as possible before takeoff. As I recall, some parties had to be split up since their combined weight exceeded safety limits for a flight.

I've always thought each person and their luggage should be weighed together to determine the overall weight they were bringing onto the plane.

• todd likes this

#3262 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

I’ll tell you what, YYJ needs another full service restaurant or at least a cafe behind security. What a wasted opportunity.

Matt.
  • Missed Approach likes this

#3263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

Yeah. The existing one fills up right quick and then that’s that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3264 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Expanded food options post-security is part of the holdroom expansion. Do they have a date set for the start of that project? They had originally stated fall 2017.

#3265 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Right on!

If a passenger takes up two seats they should pay for two.

I sure wouldn't want to fly on the same plane as the sumo wrestling team. 

Should pay, but they don't. And if they overflow into your seat - that's your problem.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3266 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

Should pay, but they don't. And if they overflow into your seat - that's your problem.

Finnair is working on solving the problem. Security could also do a pinch test to check for excess flab.

• Nparker likes this

#3267 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

Jetlines will connect Victoria with Edmonton in 2019, with connections from Edmonton to Winnipeg and Hamilton. The service will start in the summer of 2019 but will end for the winter 2019 schedule, at least according to the latest route network development plan.

Cheap flights out of Victoria Intl. on the horizon as Canada Jetlines sets sights on B.C. Capital

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3268 pinguu

pinguu
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

A number of years ago when I took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon, all passengers had to be weighed prior to boarding, as it was important to know and distribute weight as evenly as possible before takeoff. As I recall, some parties had to be split up since their combined weight exceeded safety limits for a flight.

I've always thought each person and their luggage should be weighed together to determine the overall weight they were bringing onto the plane.

I am not overweight but due to whatever ancestry I have I am a tall guy and not skinny. The fact that a smaller person might be allowed more luggage than I simply because they weigh less would be very irritating - my clothes are necessarily larger, my shoes are larger, I wear larger coats.  I already have to deal with the shitty leg space, I don't want to have to pay more just so I can bring a reasonable amount of clothing.

#3269 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Pacific Coastal is going to start going to Tofino from Vancouver each afternoon in April, with a 19-seat Beechcraft.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 November 2017 - 06:52 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3270 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

WestJet has launched a new brand, partnering with Pacific Coastal to offer "WestJet Link". WestJet will use Pacific Coastal's 34-seat Saab 340 planes painted in WestJet colours (similar to how Jazz Aviation operates Air Canada Express flights). Lethbridge, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Cranbrook and Prince George are the first locations (all direct flights to Calgary).

Air Canada has typically serviced these communities with small Beechcraft 1900D or Dash 8-100/300 planes (all less than 50 seats), so these smaller Pacific Coastal planes offer WestJet the opportunity to compete on these lower demand routes without having to purchase new planes (their 78-seat Q400s would be overkill).

http://westjet2.medi...?s=43&item=1296

pacific_coastal.jpg__0x500_q95_autocrop_

• Nparker likes this

#3271 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Wow!  If you can't beat them, join them I guess.  Good for both companies.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3272 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

I wonder if that will be meaning a reduction of the duplicate flights from YYJ to YVR or ending either the YLW and YXS direct flights from YYJ? I really hope not those have been a great addition to the options here. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3273 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

The Pacific Coastal flights will not be coming to or going from YYJ.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3274 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

I guess what he means is a reduction due to to aircraft demand. They only got so many planes.

They were using the Saab’s to go to Kelowna.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 November 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#3275 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

I'm new to this but as someone who worked for "said" airline for a number years ago here is some insight. 

I am wondering if they will move their only two 340B's to WJ link and leave the coast service with only the 1900's

They no longer operate YLW with the Saab and last time I was by the South Term, they had moth balled two Saab's.

PCA is going to have to find more Saab 340B's for lease. And they have a pretty poor break down rate.

#3276 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

Also would like to know if VV will have the CEO of the VAA back on with a Q&A session because it seems nothing is moving forward other than a shopping center. The link to the old Q&A is not working.

#3277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Ah, here you go: https://vibrantvicto...questions-here/

We could do another Q&A, for sure. Here's a list of projects the airport authority is currently working on.

Know it all.

#3278 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

Looking at the WestJet Link schedule, it seems like they'll need more than 2 Saab's to run the flights. Probably need at least 3-4.

Also, the Saab's were used pretty infrequently on the YYJ-YLW route. Typically they use the Beech 1900. They initially offered the Saab's almost exclusively, but demand wasn't there. I flew that route with Pacific Coast quite a bit in the past year and a half, and the one time I was on a Saab, there were only 6 other people on it. Every other time they used a 1900, and most of their bookable flights right now on that route are on the 1900.

All of this to say, I don't think the WestJet service will impact Pacific Coastal flights out of Victoria.

#3279 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Ah, here you go: https://vibrantvicto...questions-here/

We could do another Q&A, for sure. Here's a list of projects the airport authority is currently working on.

Thanks, but both links to the article go to 404 bad link. Yes the VAA has been pretty silent lately, last I heard the expanded hold room construction was to start in Oct but nothing has been done. 

#3280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,536 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

I’m clicking right through on those links. Is anyone else not able to view the QandA?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users