Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3341 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

There's a good comparison right here! The Nanaimo area is about 150k, toss in Cowichan Valley for another 80k. Not quite as large as Victoria by any means, but their airport is closer to YVR than ours! Shorter flight too.

#3342 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

Looks like I am alittle behind on the topics rolling right now.

When I worked for "said airline" at YYJ we had alot of government and coporate travel, suits and breif cases as we called it, and many having accounts ( gov and private ) with "Quick Tickets" Like a book of transit bus passes. Phoned in resversations and transferable by name. Most of our passengers had very little to no luggage and were able to get away without showing will almost 20 mins to boarding, ( cutting it real close ). Now I see they have also upped thier check in time to an hour. 

But on the route to YVR's south terminal - it was a easy hop on hop off service avoiding the main terminal.

On the side of parking at YYJ, the VAA just keeps eating away at farm land for more parking and will never be building a parkake anytime in my life time. So enjoy the walk in the rain commuter or multi day vacation passenger....

#3343 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Well, some people do to be safe.  You do not want to ruin your Mexico or Europe trip over an hour.  And they check in bags.  But it should be quicker so nobody has to worry.

If I'm going on an expensive holiday out of YVR I go over a day ahead of time and spend a night in a hotel to ensure that I am able to get to the check in gate.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3344 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

But your luggage might not.

That's one of the big kinks in ultra-efficient airport connections. Sometimes the airline really needs that 1.5 hour layover to ensure when you arrive at your destination your luggage has as well.

With a shuttle service your bags are unloaded from the shuttle and you pick them up and take them to the check in counter for your ongoing flight. That way there is minimal time lag and the shuttle can be a non-denominational service.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3345 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

Air Canada Rouge has announced a direct, 3x weekly seasonal service from YYJ to Montreal.

Nanaimo is also getting 4x weekly seasonal service to Toronto.

https://aircanada.me...for-Summer-2018

• jonny likes this

#3346 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Worth noting that Montreal has some incredible connection options through AC. What a service for YYJ. Incredible.

#3347 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Toronto-Nanaimo is pretty neat.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3348 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Worth noting that Montreal has some incredible connection options through AC. What a service for YYJ. Incredible.

Ya, and you get the feeling AC has enough data to know that a lot of YYJ traffic was going there via a connection too.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 December 2017 - 10:19 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3349 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Expanded food options post-security is part of the holdroom expansion. Do they have a date set for the start of that project? They had originally stated fall 2017.

I saw the floor plans at the community consulted meeting and there was no mention for food expansion in the lower holdroom which isn't going to get started now till Summer of 2018 of Fall now from the staff at the airport. 

#3350 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

There’s also Christchurch and Wellington, NZ. Christchurch, with a population of 375k and on an island separate from the one Auckland and Wellington are on, is a very short flight from Wellington which is the capital and has an international airport. Wellington has a population of about 420k.

The other one I was thinking about was Hobart/Melbourne, but it looks like that flight is well over an hour.

#3351 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Ya, and you get the feeling AC has enough data to know that a lot of YYJ traffic was going there via a connection too.

Makes you wonder if a Jazz will cut a flight or two might get cut then, it's already bare bones right now form their normal hourly service in the summer.

Edited by Missed Approach, 01 December 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#3352 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

I saw the floor plans at the community consulted meeting and there was no mention for food expansion in the lower holdroom which isn't going to get started now till Summer of 2018 of Fall now from the staff at the airport. 

That's just what's been said by VAA staff to the media. Makes sense though as part of getting a return on the investment that they would want more retail in the holdroom.

#3353 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Could YYJ to YOW, YUL, and YYZ be potential pairs for AC once they receive their new CS300s?  The C-Series has the range and the numbers to serve further reaching secondary markets from hubs...exactly like YYJ/YYZ.

• jonny likes this

#3354 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

Victoria and Whitehorse are the only capitals in Canada without service to YOW, so it's an intriguing option for sure.

• jonny likes this

#3355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

YUL?

YOW?

What in tarnations are you people talking about?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3356 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

YUL?

YOW?

What in tarnations are you people talking about?

'YUL" is Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, Montreal and of course "YOW" is Ottawa International.

#3357 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

Try to get them all on Sporcle!

https://www.sporcle....awamus/airports

#3358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

Oh, but of course!

...not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3359 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

The other one I was thinking about was Hobart/Melbourne, but it looks like that flight is well over an hour.

How about Macau and Hong Kong? Seems somewhat similar though the population numbers are up a factor of 10 or so in both cases!

#3360 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

How about Macau and Hong Kong? Seems somewhat similar though the population numbers are up a factor of 10 or so in both cases!

Not for long....https://en.wikipedia...ai–Macau_Bridge

maxresdefault.jpg

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users