Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#3681 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

When a very high percentage of travellers now have a notepad, why not a holder that swings out in front of the chair to hold it, to watch movies etc.?  For me that would be nice and comfrotable.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3682 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

Island Express Air is launching new daily flights from Qualicum Beach to Victoria, Boundary Bay and Abbotsford – and the Abbotsford-based airline also hopes to be flying to Bellingham, Wash, within a year.

The new Qualicum service starts Monday, March 5, with two flights per day, morning and afternoon, with plans to expand the service further as time goes on. Flights from Qualicum will depart at 8:15 a.m., with a return flight landing at about 5:30 p.m.

“We’ve been getting a lot of requests for this,” Gerry Visser, president of Island Express Air, said in an interview. “This means that people can fly from Qualicum Beach to Victoria, Abbotsford and the whole Surrey/White Rock area by using Boundary Bay Airport.”

https://www.saanichn...and-abbotsford/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

I believe there are 12 gates at YYJ currently. With the expansion there will be an increase in gates where 11 will now be on the lower departures area and not up top.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3684 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

I believe there are 12 gates at YYJ currently. With the expansion there will be an increase in gates where 11 will now be on the lower departures area and not up top.

From the project page on the Victoria Airport website link, it looks like 11 will be a ground-floor boarding position superimposed on the same spot of ramp as the current gate 9 (or 10, I'm not sure which one is closer to the holdroom).  Board from a jetbridge, you go to the desk upstairs.  Board from the ground, and go to the desk at 11.

LHRX_4_1024x1024.JPG

Edited by kenmuir, 20 February 2018 - 07:46 PM.

• Mike K. and Missed Approach like this

#3685 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:28 AM

Nanaimo-Airport-announces-$55-million-multi-phased-expansion-plans.jpg

An artist's rendering of an expanded passenger terminal at Nanaimo Airport. The central Island facility is pursuing a multi-phased expansion plan that could continue into the mid-2030's and see its terminal near triple from its current size.

Nanaimo Airport announces $55 million multi-phased expansion

https://victoria.citified.ca/news/nanaimo-airport-announces-55-million-multi-phased-expansion/

Nanaimo-airport-1.jpg

Nanaimo-airport-2.jpg

• jonny likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3686 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

For those talking about gates current and past here is the break down. Before I left the airport/airline job, Gate 1 was the sole bridge on the far West end, gate 2 was the first gate to the left in the hold room for Horizon. Since then, a new bridge was put in newly called gate 2, and Spinnakers was put in the old gate two area. Now gate 4/5 is the only podium to the left at the end of the hold room boarding Horizon and United by ground. Delta is on stand 2 almost every night to the bridge. Gates 6/7/8 are all crammed into two podiums right now serving Encore, PCA and AC express. 9/10 are bridges upstairs used by WestJet. The remote stands are just for over nite parking and de icing, not gates.  

Phase 4 shows another gate / bridge being built but there was no news of that in the presser. So the info I was given by the VAA was wrong, all 27 months was just about building the hold room. So with those two bridges and the new bridges to the east later on, all the gate numbers and the i guess the rules all go out the window by the look of the floor plan.

Edited by Missed Approach, 21 February 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#3687 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

The additional jetways and upper waiting area expansion have always been in the master plan several years out from the lower holdroom expansion. 

#3688 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

The additional jetways and upper waiting area expansion have always been in the master plan several years out from the lower holdroom expansion. 

I was told this "27 month project" was the hold room and other parts of the "terminal"...........

#3689 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

For anyone interested, the VAA is hosting their next public consultative committee meeting on March 6 from 7:30 - 9:00 at the Delta Ocean Pointe. Might be able to get more info on the upcoming terminal expansion work. 

#3690 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

Went to one of those breakfast committee meetings once, felt like a white sheep in a herd of black. It's all suits and ties, its the corporate, government and business community of Victoria get to hear a lot of blab blab blab of economics numbers and business of the airport. Was asked who I was and to sign in, no real chance to ask questions, everyone was more interested in meet and greet / business card exchanging.   Be interested if anyone from VV would go....

#3691 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

Transport Canada says Island Express Air contravened federal regulations

Airline grounded following incident; daily flights from Qualicum Beach supposed to start March 5

The operator of the plane that slid off the runway at Abbotsford International Airport was fined $30,000 last year for repeatedly allowing improperly maintained aircraft to take off.

Transport Canada announced Wednesday that it had suspended Island Express Air’s air operator certificate due to last week’s accident and “contraventions of the Canadian Aviation Regulations.”

At least two people were hospitalized last Friday after the California-bound charter plane operated by Island Express Air slid off the runway at YXX while attempting to take off.

Island Express Air announced in February that it would be launching daily flights from Qualicum Beach starting Monday, March 5.

#3692 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

Couple other projects just posted on the VAA website

http://www.victoriaa...ojects-planning

"Pave paradise to put up a parking lot"

Shuttle bus now leaving for remote parking lot Z, calling at Central Saanich, Langford and Sooke...

Edited by Missed Approach, 01 March 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#3693 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

Do they have to get these projects approved by council? If so, can't they force/encourage a parkade instead of endless fields of vehicles?

And they'll spend $6.2M on parking lots but we still don't have a public bus to the airport? I'll never understand this city. 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#3694 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Parking lots are cheap. Parkades are very expensive. 

#3695 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

The walk from the furthest parking spot to the terminal building is, what, 2 or 3 minutes? That's hardly inconvenient. The parkade complaint is odd. 

#3696 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

I don't care about inconvenience. I just find parking lots to be an eyesore. Would prefer an empty field, housing or really any other use over a sea of parked cars. 

YYJ has gamed the system so you have to drive, use the Airporter, or take a yellow taxi, so that they get a cut of all transportation going to the airport.

#3697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

Simple solution is to charge a $5 fee for all departing transit riders. Your ticket is $2.50 + $5.00. That’s what YVR does at the airport station.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3698 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

Why do people keep saying there's no public bus to the airport?

There is one. The 88. Jump on it from McTavish Exchange via one of the express Swartz Bay buses from downtown.

Also, you can take any taxi to or from the airport. Any cab company can drop you off right there at departures, and they can pick you up on Willingdon. Not convenient from the airport by any means, but to the airport is all the same.

#3699 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Do they have to get these projects approved by council? If so, can't they force/encourage a parkade instead of endless fields of vehicles?

And they'll spend $6.2M on parking lots but we still don't have a public bus to the airport? I'll never understand this city. 

If the development is on airport land, it is federal jurisdiction. The airport authority may consult with the "host" municipality out of courtesy.

Simple solution is to charge a $5 fee for all departing transit riders. Your ticket is $2.50 + $5.00. That’s what YVR does at the airport station.

This was part of the negotiations between Translink and YVR. One of the benefits that many people don't know about is that travel within Sea Island is free (i.e. YVR, Sea Island Station and Templeton Station). This means that you can go from YVR to the outlet mall at Templeton and back for free. YVR has also relocated a significant amount of their parking at Templeton Station, and the Canada Line provides free shuttle service to YVR.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3700 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

I don't care about inconvenience. I just find parking lots to be an eyesore. Would prefer an empty field, housing or really any other use over a sea of parked cars. 

YYJ has gamed the system so you have to drive, use the Airporter, or take a yellow taxi, so that they get a cut of all transportation going to the airport.

As per the last public meeting in October this was VAA response to the question of parkades vs surface lots: 

A member of the public inquired whether VAA had considered an underground parking facility or multi-level parking structure rather than spreading out on airport lands.

In terms of a parkade, underground structure or build out, the capital costs of a parkade are approximately $70,000 per stall, with ongoing operating costs. The cost to build out is approximately $7,000 per stall, significantly less. If the world goes to driverless cars, VAA would need to deal with the building structure. VAA would prefer to look at one level of vehicles vs. a concrete parkade

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users