Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#3741 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Woman 'partially pulled out of' Southwest Airlines plane after engine breaks cabin window

Woman taken to hospital while other passengers say landing was relatively stable

A Southwest Airlines jet has made an emergency landing in Philadelphia after a piece of its engine broke off mid-flight and smashed a window, leading to a depressurisation that pulled a woman partly out of the cabin, according to family speaking to reporters.

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3742 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

CBC reporting that one person has died. Possibly the woman mentioned above, but witness accounts also mention one passenger (not sure if the same as the one above) went into cardiac arrest. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...osion-1.4623216

Edited by Jackerbie, 17 April 2018 - 11:48 AM.

#3743 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

https://www.bnn.ca/a...ights-1.1059507

Nothing new but the branding/name. AC has been flying widebodies (with lieflats) on these routes for years. Guess now they’re just trying to push it on the US market.

#3744 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Nothing new but the branding/name. AC has been flying widebodies (with lieflats) on these routes for years. Guess now they’re just trying to push it on the US market.

I'd lie flat in like a coffin, with others stacked on me if that could be a thing.  I'm not claustrophobic at all, I'd do that to save money.  

• Kilo95 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'd lie flat in like a coffin, with others stacked on me if that could be a thing.  I'm not claustrophobic at all, I'd do that to save money.  

The next time you fly, perhaps ask if you can fly in the cargo hold.

• Kilo95 likes this

#3746 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

That reminds me of the RyanAir proposal for standing "seats," which were basically upright boards you'd be strapped to during take-off and landing

#3747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:49 AM

Small airline to make 12-minute international flights out of Victoria

NorthStar Air offering flights between Victoria and Friday Harbour

#3748 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:53 AM

No relation to the North Star Air that operates commercial flights in Northern Ontario.

#3749 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

Departures are designed, according to the company, to appear to day-trippers.

A media release suggests fares as low as $49, but a search of their booking service on their website, shows tickets for $86.12 or $107.12 between Victoria and Friday Harbor (May 7 flights).

Apart from the typo, why did the reporter not just call the airline for clarification, before running the story?

San Juan has a population of about 7,000.  This might make sense. 

The Roy Franklin Terminal accommodates over 10,000 passengers each year with scheduled air service to Seattle, Bellingham, and Anacortes and charter service to other destinations.

The airport is located within easy walking distance of downtown Friday Harbor.

http://www.portfrida...or.org/airport/

Of course, folks end up at our airport, with tricky connections anywhere.

Somehow I think a seasonal passenger ferry to Sidney would make more sense.  Right now (until Jun 23) folks can take a WS Ferry it takes an hour from Friday Harbour to Sidney.  But that's the only trip, they would have to overnight.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 April 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#3750 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

YYJ annual public general meeting is May 10th at 7pm at the Winspear Center.

• Missed Approach likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3751 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

Thought economy was the lowest class on a plane? Think again: Air Canada and WestJet are selling "basic economy" fares that cost less and offer even fewer features, such as no options to change your flight.

"Basic economy fares are getting you a seat, that's it " says Ottawa-based travel blogger Anshul Singh. "There is no extra sort of cushioning."

Variations of basic economy fares are already widespread in the U.S., adopted by some major airlines to compete with encroaching discount carriers.

Now that more discount airlines are flying into Canada, Air Canada and WestJet are joining the trend. For now, both airlines are only offering basic economy on a small number of domestic routes, although WestJet plans to eventually expand the fare — which it calls 'econo lowest' — across its network.

"We will now have something to offer every type of guest," said spokesperson, Lauren Stewart in an email to CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...lines-1.4622192

I can just see management sitting with PR/communications:

"So that's out plan, PR, we need to get the most money from the most people possible, but if some lowlife wants the very cheapest crappy fare, let's find a way to reluctantly offer that too, lest they go to Flair or that Jetlines gets started...  How can you get the message out?"

"We will not have something to offer every type of guest!"

"Sounds good.  And just in case, let's seat those fu*kers right next to the engine cowl in the 737's, like Southwest.  He he..." 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 April 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#3752 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

"Basic economy fares are getting you a seat, that's it " says Ottawa-based travel blogger Anshul Singh. "There is no extra sort of cushioning."

I understand that to mean your seat is just a metal frame; you have to bring your own cushion - which hopefully will double as a flotation device.

#3753 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:17 AM

No relation to the North Star Air that operates commercial flights in Northern Ontario.

Ha!  I used to work for them, back in the day...

[damn, cant get the photo to post..]

Edited by North Shore, 20 April 2018 - 08:18 AM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3754 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

443000-passengers-pass-through-Victoria-Intl.'s-gates-in-first-quarter-on-track-for-another-record-year.jpg

A Bombardier passenger plane departs Victoria International Airport with the Lost Airmen of the Empire memorial visible in the foreground. The second-busiest air hub in British Columbia has posted a 5% increase in passenger volumes over the first three months of this year.

443,000 passengers pass through Victoria Intl.'s gates in first quarter of 2018; air hub on track for another record year

https://victoria.cit...er-record-year/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3755 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Latest video of construction at YYJ is no only shorter in time (20 seconds) but gives us great views of construction workers back sides.

Worth a watch a laugh, but not much of a view of the latest work being done. Does anyone know what's got Gate 1 closed for ground work on that stand?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Q2MV-Vn-3YU

#3756 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Virgin America, a popular airline that was acquired by Alaska Airlines, made its final flight Tuesday night. Overnight, Alaska Airlines removed all remaining branding related to Virgin America at 29 airports in the United States and Mexico where the two airlines still had separately branded operations.

https://www.usatoday...-sad/550462002/

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#3757 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

Effective April 30, 2018 Orca Airways Ltd. has ceased operations. Passengers are being rebooked on Pacific Coastal Airlines.

http://www.pacificco...m/orca-airways/

#3758 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

What Pacific Coastal and WestJet haven't said recently is how the WestJet Link is coming along after being delayed till June due to PCA's unable to close aircraft lease and pilot hiring in YYC base crew hub.

Good to see PCA business is picking up taking on Orca Air passengers but I thought Orca was being taken over and operated by Integra Air

Orca Airways Ceases Operation
April 30th, 2018
Orca Airways has announced the permanent closure of its business effective today, April 30, 2018.
Pacific Coastal Airlines has agreed to work with Orca Airways to accommodate its current passengers. Orca will rebook its guests on to Pacific Coastal’s regularly scheduled flights between Vancouver and Tofino, and all new reservation requests for flights between Vancouver and Tofino received by Orca Airways will be forwarded to Pacific Coastal Airlines.

#3759 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

The Orca guy says he was unable to work with Integra management.

• Missed Approach likes this

#3760 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Some more video of the AC pilot lining up with a landing on the taxiway.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-ntsb-1.4646179

It's still hard to know how the frick he did that.  It would be different if it was clear of any planes, but there are at least 3 or 4 there with lights flashing etc.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 May 2018 - 08:44 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users