Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#3941 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

Well that's what that mall got for a horrible business plan. Like a condo type mall would of ever of worked.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3942 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

I just booked tickets from YYJ to PHX. I have Asia miles which Alaska air is a partner. So I found the Alaska Airlines flight I wanted, it was Victoria to Seattle to Phoenix, $331 one way. I scrolled back up and found a United flight that was $221, and it was a code share flight flown by Alaska Airlines, the exact same flights Alaska wanted to charge me $110 more for.

• Matt R. and tjv like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3943 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:38 PM

Just noticed Air North has shifted to Sunday/Thursday departures now from the Monday/Friday routing started in May.

And Delta has adjusted their fall / winter departure times as well with Alaska cutting one round trip daily for W18/19.

A twitter account stating 18 flights cut this fall winter, when looking and yes, a lot of seasonal and reductions along

with United and Flair leaving.

Charter season look busy again too. 

• Kilo95 likes this

#3944 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:08 AM

airport food service workers and union people will march on the airport CEO’s Office today demanding higher wages.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2018 - 02:09 AM.

• Missed Approach likes this

#3945 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:51 AM

Not every mall is flourishing

I was talking about malls here, not in Calgary.  The Alberta economy is still in the toilet according to a friend who lives in Calgary, he was also told not to expect any recovery in housing pricing there for years.

#3946 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:17 AM

I was at Mayfair yesterday and it was pretty insanely busy. Haven't been there in a while so it was kind of surprising!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3947 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

I just booked tickets from YYJ to PHX. I have Asia miles which Alaska air is a partner. So I found the Alaska Airlines flight I wanted, it was Victoria to Seattle to Phoenix, $331 one way. I scrolled back up and found a United flight that was $221, and it was a code share flight flown by Alaska Airlines, the exact same flights Alaska wanted to charge me $110 more for.

Happens all of the time, it pays to shop around.

#3948 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:14 AM

So what's going on? Vancouver Islanders have suddenly fallen in love with their local airports, rather than driving to YVR? Are the harbour-to-harbour numbers dropping? The 2015 air carrier traffic report indicates 200,000 passengers through Victoria harbour, whereas the 2006 air carrier traffic report indicated almost 300,000, and almost half that number again through Nanaimo harbour.

If you plan in advance, you can book a flight from YYJ to YVR for about the same price as a ferry trip and 1/2 the cost of a harbor flight. 

#3949 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:29 AM

I just booked round trip to Cabo in February, all in for $520 (the "free" one with points was $220 in taxes. Victoria to Vancouver to Cabo. Leaves at 5:30 in the morning with my first Margarita at 1:30 in the afternoon.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3950 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:05 AM

Busiest month (Aug) ever at YYJ to date this year, and busiest trans-border numbers too. YLW is nipping on YYJ's butt - I can see them taking YY's 11th spot in Canada.

http://www.victoriaa...fic Summary.pdf

Edited by Missed Approach, 25 September 2018 - 10:24 AM.

• shoeflack likes this

#3951 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

Busiest month (Aug) ever at YYJ to date this year, and busiest trans-border numbers too. YLW is nipping on YYJ's butt - I can see them taking YY's 11th spot in Canada.

http://www.victoriaa...fic Summary.pdf

Yep, looks like 2018 may see YLW and YYJ flip the 10th and 11th spots. YLW sitting pretty at 1.4 million with YYJ at 1.38 million (both to end of August). YLW blows YYJ out of the water in the winter months, so it will be hard for YYJ to come back from the ridiculous numbers YLW put up in Q1 2018. YYJ normally outperforms YLW in the fall, but December is always a win for YLW. Will be a very close race.

Watch out for YQB as well coming up from the 12 spot...they have had a huge growth year so far and could content for the 10 spot in the next year or two.

#3952 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Yep, looks like 2018 may see YLW and YYJ flip the 10th and 11th spots. YLW sitting pretty at 1.4 million with YYJ at 1.38 million (both to end of August). YLW blows YYJ out of the water in the winter months, so it will be hard for YYJ to come back from the ridiculous numbers YLW put up in Q1 2018. YYJ normally outperforms YLW in the fall, but December is always a win for YLW. Will be a very close race.

Watch out for YQB as well coming up from the 12 spot...they have had a huge growth year so far and could content for the 10 spot in the next year or two.

Surpising that YQB has less traffic than YYJ, it feels like a much larger airport when you are in it

#3953 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

Surpising that YQB has less traffic than YYJ, it feels like a much larger airport when you are in it

Oh, for sure. It's an actual fully developed airport, with a proper gate system, separate arrivals/departures floors, etc. Their new terminal is stunning. A heck of a lot more room to grow than both YYJ and YLW, and a larger population centre to support it.

Edited by shoeflack, 25 September 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#3954 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

YQB being Quebec City for us regular folk.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3955 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

OK, I admit I had to Google "YQB" to discover it's Quebec City's airport and not in Qualicum Beach:wacko:

#3956 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

We've talked about Quebec City's airport before. Or maybe it was just me talking. Anyway, brand new terminal, built for the future rather than for the past.

It's funny, Victoria sure isn't the only city that drags its feet, and yet when other cities drag their feet they tend to end up with really good stuff (Quebec City airport, Quebec City arena, Winnipeg airport, Winnipeg arena, Moncton arena).

• RFS likes this

#3957 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

Consider this tidbit from Wikipedia:

Aéroport de Québec inc. is therefore planning further investments of nearly $300 million to further expand the terminal building...

#3958 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:47 AM

Probably because Montreal is only a 2 hour drive away, or they could drive to the US and grab a cheap flight from there.  I think its Burlington Vermont

#3959 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

Consider this tidbit from Wikipedia:

That was the work that was just completed. The source for your quote is from 2010. They are, however, doing some more work on the old terminal building.

#3960 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:01 PM

Probably because Montreal is only a 2 hour drive away, or they could drive to the US and grab a cheap flight from there.  I think its Burlington Vermont

Plattsburgh International Airport is the Bellingham equivalent for Montreal. Allegiant and Spirit don't operate out of Burlington. 3.5-4 hour drive from Quebec City to Plattsburgh though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users