aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:08 PM

Indeed, but that's still $300 million.

#3962 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

This April 2018 article about the YQB 2018 program notes a more precise figure of $277 million...

So what's the grand total for YYJ's terminal work since the early 2000s?

#3963 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 12:28 PM

This April 2018 article about the YQB 2018 program notes a more precise figure of $277 million...

Well this latest “major” upgrade is ~$20 million, can’t imagine they’ve spent anywhere close to ~$100 million since ‘00

#3964 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

Well this latest “major” upgrade is ~$20 million, can’t imagine they’ve spent anywhere close to ~$100 million since ‘00

They state $172 million in capital improvements since the airport authority took over the airport in 1997 (according to their 2017 annual report).

So by YYJs own account, they've spent $200 million (including the $28 million for current terminal expansion/parking improvements) since the airport authority took over operations in 1997. Averages $9.5 million per year over 21 years. Pretty weak.

The AIF has netted the airport authority around $14 million a year the last couple years. That being said, they have been spending more in recent years than in the past.

A rounding error in comparison to the 20 year, $9.1 billion expansion that YVR recently announced.

• Kilo95 likes this

#3965 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

I was involved in one project about 12-15 years ago at YVR and the construction cost then was $50 million and there was another major one going close by of equal size

In 2017 $159.3 million was collected in airport improvement fees which will solely be used for capital projects at YVR so that is what they spend each year!

#3966 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

Oh, for sure. It's an actual fully developed airport, with a proper gate system, separate arrivals/departures floors, etc. Their new terminal is stunning. A heck of a lot more room to grow than both YYJ and YLW, and a larger population centre to support it.

Well they have all of BC and AB's money to spend on it why wouldn't it be great?

Unfortunately we have to spend our own money to improve our airport.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3967 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:24 PM

Well they have all of BC and AB's money to spend on it why wouldn't it be great?

Unfortunately we have to spend our own money to improve our airport.

The YQB expansion was privately funded, as are most major terminal projects in Canada.

Equalization payments don’t really come into play here.

#3968 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Well with all this development talk, I wonder when and if Phase 4 will ever get going at Victoria ( Phase 4 adding to the west of the terminal ) 

The phase map was taken down from the YYJ website.

#3969 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:49 PM

Well with all this development talk, I wonder when and if Phase 4 will ever get going at Victoria ( Phase 4 adding to the west of the terminal ) 

The phase map was taken down from the YYJ website.

It's herehttp://www.victoriaa...e Map 11x17.pdf

Untitled.jpg

• Missed Approach likes this

#3970 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:22 PM

I was curious about that as well, and/or if they would be updating their master plan with revised projections and dates. It still lists major upgrades as having been completed by now
  • Missed Approach likes this

#3971 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:11 PM

Didn't Vibrant Victoria interviewed the CEO of the VAA a few years ago. Maybe VV could get another interview as not much is coming out on the website for a view of the future direction of the airport. 

• Kilo95 likes this

#3972 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

That would be cool. It would be great to hear. I really would like to see a concerted effort to get some more west coast directs. SFO now, PDX, LAX, SAN... Combine it with a US pre clear.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3973 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

^SFO is cancelled Jan 7th for good

#3974 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

Didn't Vibrant Victoria interviewed the CEO of the VAA a few years ago. Maybe VV could get another interview as not much is coming out on the website for a view of the future direction of the airport. 

I second this. Would be cool to have an updated Q&A with the VAA CEO to get a progress report 

#3975 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

We’ve spoken about that and he’d like to do a follow-up Q&A.

The next US direct is likely to be Denver. West coast expansion is not on the horizon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3976 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

That would be cool. It would be great to hear. I really would like to see a concerted effort to get some more west coast directs. SFO now, PDX, LAX, SAN... Combine it with a US pre clear.

A pre clear would be desperately needed. We flew to SFO last week, 1 hour 45 mins flight time, super.

2 hours 15 mins at border control and customs. 

#3977 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Yup, it’s brutal. Pre-clearance will be an even tougher sell with United leaving.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3978 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

You would think though that YYJ would be at an advantage to be one of the next airports in line to get pre-clearance, largely due to the existing presence of U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers in Victoria.

CBP already maintains a staff of over a dozen officers for pre-inspection of the three US-bound ferries in the region. In Vancouver, it's the same CBP staff that service YVR, the train station, and the cruise ship terminal. So no reason why they wouldn't use the economies of scale to add a few more officers and service a fourth Victoria location.

#3979 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

^SFO is cancelled Jan 7th for good

Thanks yes I know. I meant "for now".

Still it isn't going away due to lack of seat sales but rather matching the plane needed to make the fuel costs work so I expect it could easily get picked up. Maybe Delta will pickup the route. It really needs like an E90 on the route or a C series if anyone ever bought one.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3980 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

You would think though that YYJ would be at an advantage to be one of the next airports in line to get pre-clearance, largely due to the existing presence of U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers in Victoria.

CBP already maintains a staff of over a dozen officers for pre-inspection of the three US-bound ferries in the region. In Vancouver, it's the same CBP staff that service YVR, the train station, and the cruise ship terminal. So no reason why they wouldn't use the economies of scale to add a few more officers and service a fourth Victoria location.

Any idea how the funding for this stuff works? I always assumed it was the airports through ticket fees that funded (at least partially) customs and immigration officers. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)