Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#4141 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

Air North to Whitehorse (makes a stop in Kelowna).

The stop is now in Vancouver.

• shoeflack likes this

#4142 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:29 PM

Victoria gets shafted with the lack of direct service.  Last winter we (family of four) flew Air Transat to Puerto Vallarta, but we flew from Vancouver as it saved us 33% for one week.  I am of firm belief that these airlines are not wanting to fly out of Victoria.  Even with two overnights and transport to/from YVR we came out with $1100 in our pockets.

I found this interesting …. Another airport trying to get bums in seats to fill the  AIF bank accounts. All airports on the island have a battle with the ferry boat leakage equation to factor in on travel

https://www.comoxair...our-time-worth 

#4143 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

That's simply not true. WestJet has a seasonal flight to PV, but I have no idea who is operating these supposed Cuba and US flights from Comox (unless the Royal Canadian Air Force has some luxe flight charters?). Care to shed some light?

There is a link on the Comox Airport website to seasonal destinations.  It is not the clearest though as to whether it is direct service (and who provides it).  Perhaps they just need to make it more clear as to whether it is direct service or it is not.  After I read it a second time, I began wondering myself.  

https://www.comoxair...ations-from-yqq

#4144 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

There is a link on the Comox Airport website to seasonal destinations.  It is not the clearest though as to whether it is direct service (and who provides it).  Perhaps they just need to make it more clear as to whether it is direct service or it is not.  After I read it a second time, I began wondering myself.  

https://www.comoxair...ations-from-yqq

Yep, all of those destinations except for Puerto Vallarta (1x weekly WestJet non-stop) are only accessible via these one-stop connections:

-Varadero on WestJet via Calgary

-Palm Springs on Air Canada or WestJet via Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton

-Las Vegas on Air Canada or WestJet via Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton

-Fort Lauderdale on WestJet via Calgary

They could just as easily say that you can fly to Tokyo, Auckland, Dehli, Paris, or any of the many other one-stop destinations that exist via their flights to major airports like Vancouver and Calgary.

But good on YQQ for marketing those options. That's what feeder airports need to do. Say things like, "hey, have your neighbour drop you off here instead of taking an expensive ferry ride over to YVR...at the end of the day you'll get to the same destination".

• ryno8097 likes this

#4145 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

Yep, all of those destinations except for Puerto Vallarta (1x weekly WestJet non-stop) are only accessible via these one-stop connections:

YQQ Sun Destinations false advertising.PNG

"Here are five sun-filled destinations flying out of Comox Airport..." sure makes it sound like a "one-seat ride" to me.

#4146 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

I can fly out of Victoria and end up in Europe, but that doesn't mean it's a non-stop flight...

#4147 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:26 PM

Direct or non-stop?

You can fly direct from YYJ to many places by making a stop in YVR or SEA.

Direct non stop on Saturdays. Step on the plane at YYJ step off at PVR no airports in between.
  • Matt R. likes this

#4148 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

"Here are five sun-filled destinations flying out of Comox Airport..." sure makes it sound like a "one-seat ride" to me.

It's certainly misleading how they have worded that page. I'm sure many people have been led to believe that those destinations are non-stop, when really only one is.

Edited by shoeflack, 30 November 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#4149 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

Direct or non-stop?

You can fly direct from YYJ to many places by making a stop in YVR or SEA.

di·rect
/dəˈrekt,dīˈrekt/Submit
adjective
extending or moving from one place to another by the shortest way without changing direction or stopping.
"there was no direct flight that day"
synonyms: straight, undeviating, unswerving; More
without intervening factors or intermediaries.
"the complications are a direct result of bacteria spreading"
synonyms: face to face, personal, immediate, firsthand
"direct contact with the president"
adverb
with no one or nothing in between.
"buy direct and save"

In the transportation industry this applies...

Direct implies no transfers. One-seat ride could imply a stopover, but the definition of direct above states no stopping in the case of air travel.
  • Bernard likes this

#4150 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

In the transportation industry this applies...

Direct implies no transfers. One-seat ride could imply a stopover, but the definition of direct above states no stopping in the case of air travel.

"Direct" means that the flight number does not change. The plane may stop along the route, but the flight is considered direct as long as the flight number remains the same. "Non-stop" is just that: a flight that does not stop before reaching the destination.

You may remember Air Transat taking heat for offering "direct" flights from to Mexico from Winnipeg (I think) last year, but used a plane that barely had the fuel capacity to make the journey non-stop, so it occasionally had to stop for refueling elsewhere. They were technically doing no wrong, as the flights were not advertised as non-stop.

Edited by Jackerbie, 30 November 2018 - 04:49 PM.

#4151 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

You may remember Air Transat taking heat for offering "direct" flights from to Mexico from Winnipeg (I think) last year, but used a plane that barely had the fuel capacity to make the journey non-stop, so it occasionally had to stop for refueling elsewhere. They were technically doing no wrong, as the flights were not advertised as non-stop.

I would imagine fuel stops aren't technically scheduled stops (passengers aren't leaving or alighting) meaning flight numbers wouldn't change? It's quite common for west coast direct flights to Hawaii to make fuel stops prior to crossing the ocean if the winds are bad enough. I was one one that did just that from Seattle to Maui - where we stopped for fuel in Oakland. I would still say that is direct as well (like you state) as I certainly didn't book a direct flight with a planned fuel stop advertised on the ticket.

Southwest Airlines used to be notorious for building schedules with stopovers and were quite up front about it.

Edited by ryno8097, 30 November 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#4152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Speaking of Southwest, the airline issued an apology yesterday to a family after employees made fun of their little girl’s name.

Her name - you ready for this? -

was Abcde.

Aka, Absedee.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4153 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

What they didn't say is that her middle name is Fghijkl (aka Fickel) and last name is Mnopqrstuvwxyz (aka what am I saying).

#4154 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

I think most of the Westjet direct flights stopped when they started using Encore as their feeder. 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

As long as the connection in YVR or Calgary is within 1-1.5 hours I don’t mind taking a Q400. Either way Victorians connect via those two and Toronto as does most of the country save for a few direct flights that satiate local demand.

My biggest complaint is that you can’t just switch to a different flight when you arrive at YVR or are departing for YVR. Not that long ago you could literally walk up to YYJ and catch the next flight to YVR if they had capacity, and vice versa. Now you have not choice even if your flight is early and you gave yourself two extra hours for a guaranteed connection in case your flight is late.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4156 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

The other problem with catching a connecting flight in YVR going to an international destination is that you get off the Q400 in the domestic terminal and then have to schlep your bags over to the international side and go through security again. If you take the bus on the ferry it drops you off right in front of the international terminal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4157 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

Out at the airport today, arrived early for a pick up of family, had a look around. Lots going on with the far off in left field long term parking lot s it was being paved as well as more cement pouring on parts of the holdroom. Watched a couple flights arrive, two Q400 Jazz flights both arrived full! And left with many suits and briefcases passengers. Also a few VIP's arrived for tmr's Last Flight Sea King party, Snowbird 8, a Cormorant, other military aircraft. Busy place today

Also noticed Gate/Bridge 9 is not used for jets as WJ is using 9A for their Q400 all the time. Blocks gate 9 jet ops. Heard that jets are still being ground loaded in the pouring rain. construction seems to have a stand or two closed.

Edited by Missed Approach, 30 November 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#4158 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

https://www.timescol...plan-1.23518682

" The airport authority did not respond to a request for comment Monday. "

PR problem for sure!

#4159 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

Speaking of Southwest, the airline issued an apology yesterday to a family after employees made fun of their little girl’s name.

Her name - you ready for this? -

was Abcde.

Aka, Absedee.

Wasn't there a chapter in 'Freakonomics' about naming your children for success?  IIRC, there were names like Lemonjello ( pronounced Le-monjello) and Sh!thead (Shateed) mentioned.

Edited by North Shore, 05 December 2018 - 07:56 PM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4160 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:03 AM

Upcoming arrival of two millionth passenger a cause for celebration at Victoria International Airport

• Missed Approach likes this
Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users