Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7568 replies to this topic

#4181 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

I cannot imagine why anyone would ever put themselves through the trip over to YVR for a trip solo. You have to have a pretty big hate for yourself. If you have a family of four I start to get it if you are going to Europe or Asia. If you are going to the US why anyone in Vic would not fly on Delta or Alaska and make there life easier is beyond me even for multiple passengers. The difference is like 50-100 a ticket vs flying from Seattle and quite often almost no difference at all. 

• Nparker and spanky123 like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4182 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

I don't know if its just people not planning or what.

I am going to Cabo in February. Flying Victoria to Vancouver to Cabo... all in $530 per person round trip on Air Canada. Leave 6:00 AM, in Cabo by 12:35.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4183 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

I don't know if its just people not planning or what.

I am going to Cabo in February. Flying Victoria to Vancouver to Cabo... all in $530 per person round trip on Air Canada. Leave 6:00 AM, in Cabo by 12:35.

It all seems random - but probably typical pricing based off of demand. I have saved $1500 for four to fly to Puerto Vallarta out of Vancouver instead of Victoria and I have had the YYJ to YVR connecting flight be absolutely free in the ticket cost flying Air Canada to LAX.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose when chosing any airport.

Next year our family of four is flying YYJ to LAX and it was cheaper than flying out of Seattle and Vancouver (the flight cost was cheaper and that's not even factoring in transport and additional accomodations).
  • lanforod likes this

#4184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

Back when the dollar was on par with the USD I’d clipper down to Seattle, get a hotel and fly out the next day and save a heap of cash. I did it a few times and the savings could easily be $300-$400 per person with hotel, with clipper, with food/etc.

Today the difference isn’t universally that big but it also depends on where you’re trying to go and what also matters in some cases is the flight time.

Currently the cheapest flight on Orbitz leaving on the 28th and returning on the 3rd to NYC via YYJ $714USD. It’s 13 and a half hours, leaves at 1:50PM and arrives at 6:25AM (there’s a slightly shorter option for $3 less but arrives at 2:30AM. No thanks).

From Seattle it’s $463 and 5 hours. From Vancouver it’s $519 and seven hours.

So. If you want a flight time that’s comparable out of YYJ your fare is $896 for 6:40 of travel.

Would you take a ferry for a flight $377 cheaper out of YVR, or would you use YYJ? That’s up to you. But clearly hundreds of thousands of Victorians and visitors to Victoria are using alternate airports and it’s not without reasons. For me the actual flights can play a far more important role than the price. And where Victorians so often get the shaft is for hundreds of dollars more not only are we paying big sums to fly but we’re also spending more time hopping between airports to get to our destinations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4185 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

It is impossible to save more than 800 dollars on a trip for four people out of YVR rather than from YYJ. Actually less if you factor in ferry cost and possible hotel in YVR - It is about $200 all in per person on Pacific Coastal. Just book out of YVR and then go to YYJ and fly PCA. Seattle is a whole other story as if you are not flying on Delta or Alaska the YYJ - Sea trip will cost you at least 300 round-trip. 

It has a whole new look!

#4186 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

The problem with that is your flight had better arrive in YVR by 2PM at the absolute latest on a Saturday if you want to clear customs, grab your luggage and connect to the last PCA flight to Victoria at 4. On Sunday’s-Friday’s there’s a 650 departure so you had better arrive by 5PM. That is a major limiting factor for many flights.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4187 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

It is impossible to save more than 800 dollars on a trip for four people out of YVR rather than from YYJ.

FALSE!

We did this in February, same dates and same airline - Air Transat to Puerto Vallarta (same resort as well):

YYJ - PVR direct = $4500

YVR - PVR direct = $3000

Savings of $1500

Factor in: Ferry/Bus + 2 nights hotel in Richmond + two additional meals = $400

Still a savings of $1100 for a family of four.

#4188 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

No it isn't false. All you had to do was book the YVR package and then fly on Pacific Coastal as I just laid out. You lost 300 by not booking it through YYJ on PCA

It has a whole new look!

#4189 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

G-Man you have me confused. You are saying I should've spent $800 ($200 pp x 4) to fly PCA between Vic and Van and that would've saved me $300? The ferry and hotel only cost me $400 so how does spending $800 instead of the $400 work out in my favour? Am I missing something I what you have stated? I would've gladly grabbed a connecting flight if it was cheaper.

#4190 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

My mistake Ryno I apologise. I am wrong. My math was focused on the wrong side of the equation. :(

However it was only a savings of 400 dollars over the PCA option out of Victoria not 1100. 

It has a whole new look!

#4191 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

Back when the dollar was on par with the USD I’d clipper down to Seattle, get a hotel and fly out the next day and save a heap of cash. I did it a few times and the savings could easily be $300-$400 per person with hotel, with clipper, with food/etc.

I still do this quite often. It is more break-even than savings, but it is just more comfortable. Leave from downtown, travel on the Clipper instead of a tiny plane. (I do *not* find the Clipper to be particularly uncomfortable, especially with the new "Comfort Class", plus you can get up and walk around anytime.) Then stay at an airport hotel, have a meal and a beer, get up at a reasonable hour and take the shuttle to the airport for a mid-morning flight. This beats getting in a taxi at 4:30 AM  to get to YYJ for a 6:00 flight, and it saves the worst part of SEATAC which is the setup for arriving, clearing customs, and going through security again (in a line with no TSA Precheck).

• Mike K. likes this

#4192 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:34 AM

A lot of folks don't know this I guess but you don't have to clear security at the small checkpoint. You can go upstairs and go through the big checkpoints. The small one doesn't save you anything at all. Either way you need to go upstairs. 

As for saving money by not flying out of Victoria I'll be saving $2200 for a family of 5 by flying out of YVR to PVR instead of YYJ. I always check though obviously because sometimes there's not much savings at all. Many times the difference between YYJ through SEA to OGG or HNL is $50 a person which is not worth it. 

#4193 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:46 AM

If you want to compare flight prices to/from multiple airports at the same time then flights.google.com is a very useful tool.

#4194 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

I guess I have more limited time in life between work and kids. I want to be able to drive to the airport from home a couple of hours before I leave. I can't afford to sit on a boat for hours and stay in a hotel overnight before leaving. Maybe when I retire this sort of slow travel thing will be okay but my time is a pretty valuable resource. 

It has a whole new look!

#4195 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:15 AM

It's worth it a lot of time. I mean for my trip it's basically just hoping on a ferry after work, staying overnight near the airport and getting up at a reasonable hour to catch a flight. From YYJ more often than not it's get up at 4 AM or earlier to make that first flight which means you're bagged by the end of the day. 

#4196 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

I guess I have more limited time in life between work and kids. I want to be able to drive to the airport from home a couple of hours before I leave. I can't afford to sit on a boat for hours and stay in a hotel overnight before leaving. Maybe when I retire this sort of slow travel thing will be okay but my time is a pretty valuable resource. 

It depends where you are going to after getting to YVR. It might be easy to get the flight from YYJ but then have to wait 5 hours in YVR for your connecting flight.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4197 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:15 PM

I suppose. I have limited experience and only fly out of YVR to Kelowna or Prince George for work and almost always will do the hop with PCA unless Air Canada or WJ happen to be cheaper but they rarely are. If I am going on an actual vacation I am going to be flying out of SEA. 

It has a whole new look!

#4198 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Know it all.

#4199 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 06:43 AM

Dropped Mrs ASE out there this morning at 5:30...busy, busy place. Lots of folks flying to and fro today. Parking lots are jammed

#4200 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:18 AM

Dropped Mrs ASE out there this morning at 5:30...busy, busy place. Lots of folks flying to and fro today. Parking lots are jammed

So...party's at your house, then? :thumbsup:

• AllseeingEye likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users