• 6,587 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

So...party's at your house, then? :thumbsup:

Lots of sleep to catch up on...... :)

#4202 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

If anyone is interested, take a spin to the VAA website, http://www.victoriaairport.com/library - and have a read of the minutes from the latest airport public meeting. Lots of info there that isn't / hasn't been mentioned anywhere else on their website or in any other media.

Of note is Phase 4 construction is starting in 2019 already, transit, parking and United leaving was talked about and still siting it's an fleet issue but will be back in 2021 to DEN. 

Worth the read. Things are moving quickly, most of the Lower Hold room is to be done by this Aug and CEO is still backing away from any parking structure but instead plowing farm fields. 

Edited by Missed Approach, 04 January 2019 - 10:29 PM.

• jonny and Kilo95 like this

#4203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:34 AM

That’s good re parking. A parkade is a monstrous investment and a large ongoing expense. If we want fees to remain low the fields are the way to go.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4204 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

If they allowed public transit to pick up and drop off at the airport then they would probably not require any expansion!

• thundergun likes this

#4205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:51 AM

...CEO is still backing away from any parking structure but instead plowing farm fields. 

That’s good re parking...

It won't be long before we need scheduled flights to get from the parking lot to the terminal.

• Missed Approach likes this

#4206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

with self driving cars your car parks itself after it drops you right at terminal just give it 5 years.

#4207 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

with self driving cars your car parks itself after it drops you right at terminal just give it 5 years.

Musk said that 5 years ago! He still doesn't have a car that can read traffic lights or speed limit signs!

Edited by spanky123, 05 January 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#4208 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

If they allowed public transit to pick up and drop off at the airport then they would probably not require any expansion!

I'm not sure I understand your comment? BC Transit recently increased the number of daily departures from the airport, and the airport authority's long term goal is to have direct BC Transit service downtown per the meeting minutes.

#4209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

they need to have an “airport rocket” with the other direction “downtown rocket” every 20 minutes. airport - royal oak exchange - doiglas at fort and that’s it.

#4210 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:46 PM

Of note is Phase 4 construction is starting in 2019 already, transit, parking and United leaving was talked about and still siting it's an fleet issue but will be back in 2021 to DEN.

Nice to see an update about the future phases; pleasantly surprised that they’re moving ahead with Phase 4 so quickly after Phase 3. The additional bridges could help to support increased jet service. Do the VivaAerobus charters board via stairs or do they use a bridge? I seem to recall seeing a picture of them parked with remote stairs.

#4211 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

I'm not sure I understand your comment? BC Transit recently increased the number of daily departures from the airport, and the airport authority's long term goal is to have direct BC Transit service downtown per the meeting minutes.

You are right, I didn't word my comment properly. I meant efficient transport. Current trip downtown is almost an hour 30 from the airport.

#4212 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

The airport authority sure isn't preventing that from occuring. But certainly there wouldn't be anywhere near that much demand. The cost to BC Transit to run that would be astronomical, with very low fare recovery ratio. There are a lot of other transit projects that will impact residents on a daily basis, not for the few trips a year that everyone takes from the airport.

YYJ Airport Shuttle runs a similar service - not quite as frequent but with stops downtown, midtown, etc. in addition to various hotels for a reasonable fare - much less than a taxi. Why compete against that?

#4213 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

You are right, I didn't word my comment properly. I meant efficient transport. Current trip downtown is almost an hour 30 from the airport.

Maybe at certain times of the day. But that's not normal. It's usually about an hour. Which is fine, considering it's public transit. 

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

#4214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

The airport authority sure isn't preventing that from occuring. But certainly there wouldn't be anywhere near that much demand. The cost to BC Transit to run that would be astronomical, with very low fare recovery ratio. There are a lot of other transit projects that will impact residents on a daily basis, not for the few trips a year that everyone takes from the airport.

YYJ Airport Shuttle runs a similar service - not quite as frequent but with stops downtown, midtown, etc. in addition to various hotels for a reasonable fare - much less than a taxi. Why compete against that?

The shuttle is $23 a head so a lot more than transit.

#4215 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

I don't find that unreasonable.

Given transit funding priorities what would you cut in order to provide the proposed service to the airport from downtown? And does that make sense to do eg taking away communter services to put on the airport when there already is a shuttle service at a reasonable price? Or would you support additional funding (eg taxes) for this service? Most wouldn't.

#4216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

because the airport rocket stops at royal oak it can take some traffic from the 30/31/6/70/72 there to downtown so cut back them a slight bit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 January 2019 - 02:21 PM.

#4217 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Nice to see an update about the future phases; pleasantly surprised that they’re moving ahead with Phase 4 so quickly after Phase 3. The additional bridges could help to support increased jet service. Do the VivaAerobus charters board via stairs or do they use a bridge? I seem to recall seeing a picture of them parked with remote stairs.

They are boarding by bridge, problem right now is gate 9 (bridge) is constantly blocked by WJ Encore using the stand limiting the bridges to three. so far YYJ has just three jets overnite most nights, 4 when a Sunwings overnites Monday.

#4218 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Delta is ending YEG-SEA service in March, I hope this is not things to come as they has another mech delay this morning of their 545am out bound till 1pm....

https://www.routeson...rly-march-2019/

Edited by Missed Approach, 10 January 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#4219 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

YEG = Edmonton

#4220 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Delta is ending YEG-SEA service in March, I hope this is not things to come as they has another mech delay this morning of their 545am out bound till 11am.

https://www.routeson...rly-march-2019/

Has anyone flown DL recently out of YYJ that can comment on loads? I’ll be taking them on Sunday/Monday.
  • Missed Approach likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)