Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#4321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

The VAA is holding its public meeting at the Marriott right now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4322 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

After being at the airport, I don't understand why a project this small is taking so long to complete.
  • Missed Approach likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4323 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

After being at the airport, I don't understand why a project this small is taking so long to complete.

And you look at YVR, huge projects with triple the workers moving faster than YYJ. The contractor must be milking it for all it's worth. I get the feeling either the VAA knew a slow down is coming or is afraid to build anything bigger than a fruit stand onto the terminal. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4324 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

What is this rumor that Delta is leaving in the coming months? I thought it was AIr North. A plane spotter group is coming up with this news... 

#4325 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

What is this rumor that Delta is leaving in the coming months? I thought it was AIr North. A plane spotter group is coming up with this news... 

Could be connected to the rumour that DL will consolidate regional carriers and will no longer contract with Compass: https://www.flyertal...s-9e-yx-oo.html

I would imagine that they would have another regional take over the route, though, if it proves to be true. Delta owns those aircraft, so it's not a net decrease in planes being discussed.

Edited by vortoozo, 06 March 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#4326 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

this route is operated by SkyWest tho......hmmmm. Ok thanks for that!

Could be connected to the rumour that DL will consolidate regional carriers and will no longer contract with Compass: https://www.flyertal...s-9e-yx-oo.html

I would imagine that they would have another regional take over the route, though, if it proves to be true. Delta owns those aircraft, so it's not a net decrease in planes being discussed.

#4327 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

this route is operated by SkyWest tho......hmmmm. Ok thanks for that!

Believe it's actually Compass that is operating the YYJ flights. I flew on them back in January and on my ticket it said "operated by Compass dba Delta". You can also tell by checking the registration of the DL planes that fly to YYJ, usually ending in "CZ" for Compass. e.g. N609CZ operated one of the flights today. 

Edited by Kilo95, 06 March 2019 - 01:25 PM.

• vortoozo likes this

#4328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

I've put in a request for info to VAA's CEO.

• Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4329 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

Believe it's actually Compass that is operating the YYJ flights. I flew on them back in January and on my ticket it said "operated by Compass dba Delta". You can also tell by checking the registration of the DL planes that fly to YYJ, usually ending in "CZ" for Compass. e.g. N609CZ operated one of the flights today. 

You're right, it has bounced back to Compass after SkyWest had it for a bit. Delta connections is a mess I see why they are condensing the 10 operators down to 3

#4330 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

I've put in a request for info to VAA's CEO.

Can you also ask about Air North? rumblings their eyeing the door to leave too. I heard from someone who went to the morning meeting at the Marriot hotel and told me the presentation was almost the same from the Oct one with no changes or new news for the future of the airport. Just that Phase 4 may begin in 2019 or 202. 

#4331 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:50 PM

Unable to book beyond Sept with Delta. Message pops up saying seasonal service after that......

• Kilo95 likes this

#4332 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

Alaska 1, Delta 0

#4333 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:09 AM

Unable to book beyond Sept with Delta. Message pops up saying seasonal service after that......

Wow, you’re right. Wonder when DL will make an official announcement about the schedule change? I imagine with their JV with WS they’re mainly going to use feed from YYJ-YVR then connecting to SEA or SLC from there for most flights.

#4334 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:14 AM

Wow, you’re right. Wonder when DL will make an official announcement about the schedule change? I imagine with their JV with WS they’re mainly going to use feed from YYJ-YVR then connecting to SEA or SLC from there for most flights.

Airlines don't usually tend to make announcements about route discontinuation. There was no announcement when United dropped their flight either.

A YYJ-YVR-SEA/SLC-final desitnation double connection doesn't make sense for most travellers. I doubt this is about the JV. They're likely not seeing the returns that they'd like at YYJ and can redeploy the aircraft more profitably elsewhere.

#4335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:48 AM

ya, good luck proposing a new airport on the island.  that'll never fly ever.  might as well make it nuclear-powered too.

The Cowichan Valley needs its own airfield to serve the growing community, local businesses and to provide a lifeline in case a natural disaster cuts off road access, says the past-president of the Duncan Flying Club.

https://www.timescol...lity-1.23655667

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 06:49 AM.

#4336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,868 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

Toronto Pearson is the Best Large Airport in North America for the second year in a row.

This, according to the Airport Service Quality (ASQ), who awarded Pearson with the 2018 title of Best Large Airport, a category defined as those airports serving more than 40 million passengers annually.

TorontoPearsonAerial-56a38aac3df78cf7727

#4337 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

Delta's final departure will be September 2nd.

And to answer a question from earlier in this thread, Air North has not identified to the VAA that is plans to cancel its connection to Victoria.

Following United's departure from Victoria Intl., Delta Airlines to pull plug on Victoria-Seattle flights

https://victoria.cit...eattle-flights/

Know it all.

#4338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

ya, good luck proposing a new airport on the island.  that'll never fly ever.  might as well make it nuclear-powered too.

The Cowichan Valley needs its own airfield to serve the growing community, local businesses and to provide a lifeline in case a natural disaster cuts off road access, says the past-president of the Duncan Flying Club.

https://www.timescol...lity-1.23655667

You have to admit, though, that even the CVRD is concerned about Victoria's fate during a major seismic event considering all that separates it from the rest of civilization is a goat trail.

But wouldn't it be more economical and sensible to build a bridge across the inlet and connect Cowichan literally directly with YYJ?

Know it all.

#4339 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,868 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

earthquake-cutting-off-food is a fairly weak premise to begin with for cowichan.  it has a ferry terminal and many road routes north. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2019 - 08:14 AM.

#4340 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:17 AM

Delta leaving is really surprising and disappointing. Wow.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)