Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#4401 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

As for marketing YYJ, just look at YLW, they had a travel show at the airport today. They use social media alot and really push they market area. Very in touch with the city and region there, not just about flights but the going ons and project very often. 

#4402 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

The problem isn't the airport itself.  The problem is that flying has become such an all-around headache that if there's any other reasonable means of travel that'll get me where I'm going I'll take it.

#4403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

one way an airport can try to lessen the hassle is to step up the food quality and or buy down the price of it in the departure lounge. some people will not mind waits and delays and early arrivals so much if they have an exceptional meal or snack to look forward to.

#4404 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

Kelowna airport is the exact opposite of YYJ. It is the hub airport for the Okanagan valley. We are not. If you live in Penticton, Vernon even Kamloops you are driving to YLW if you want to get anywhere.

We are not going to get long range international flights to anywhere in the near or distant future. We will always have to connect via YVR or SEA or YYZ.

As discussed before we need convenient hourly service to YVR and/or SEA, to increase the passenger  volume through YYJ.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4405 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

I think we could get lots of other flights if the airport was trying to grow the business. They aren't. Once you start seeing the benefit of flying direct from the airport it is hard to go back to the Seattle or YVR trek. We are a city of 400k we could be doing way better but you need to do some marketing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4406 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

^ except the population of the Okanagan is ~350k with Vancouver Island of over 800k.

https://www12.statca...rchPR=01&B1=All

Why statscan census compared Vancouver Island against Saskatchewan I don't know.....but there you go.

Kelowna is under 200,000, but if you add the entire Okanagan then you're 300K plus...or if you want to throw in Thompson, Nicola, Shuswap and Simikameen regions, then you're covering from up near Jasper, down to the US border and as far west as approaching Hope.  Still only 546K then you have to compete with airports like Kamloops.  

https://www12.statca...rchPR=01&B1=All

YYJ isn't doing so bad.

#4407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:33 AM

As discussed before we need convenient hourly service to YVR and/or SEA, to increase the passenger volume through YYJ.

this is right. hard to believe that we are losing so many seattle flights. consistent frequent service to both seattle and vancouver is what we need. but without codesharing the public will find this confusing.

#4408 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

the uk is grounding 737 maxes.  too bad that there is actually not clearly defined policy - set in place well before any crash(es) - on when a grounding occurs rather than it being a political move.  that's what business would like - certainty. 

in 2017 there were zero big airline crashes.  2 737Ms down in 6 months might seem a bit unlikely to a layman but it's probably not that big a statistical anomaly. why not let airlines and passengers and insurance companies decide rather than politicians?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 06:36 AM.

#4409 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

Kelowna airport is the exact opposite of YYJ. It is the hub airport for the Okanagan valley. We are not. If you live in Penticton, Vernon even Kamloops you are driving to YLW if you want to get anywhere.

We are not going to get long range international flights to anywhere in the near or distant future. We will always have to connect via YVR or SEA or YYZ.

As discussed before we need convenient hourly service to YVR and/or SEA, to increase the passenger  volume through YYJ.

This. It needs to be a simple, fast shuttle. It needs to be cheap, easy, and reliable. Basically, it should just be a bus with wings.

#4410 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

...it should just be a bus with wings.

You're describing the economy class section of every major airline.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4411 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:58 AM

No, because of the multiple extra hours that normal flight service takes. A bus requires a few minutes of leeway prior to boarding, at that's it.

#4412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

Maybe Harbour Air should consider making an investment in larger aircraft, if possible? There's no better way to travel to YVR if you can swing the extra cost but the frequency and simple service policies (i.e. you just walk up and board) are amazing.

But I suppose the problem there is in the winter weather delays can hamper connections at YVR and the planes can't operate in non daylight hours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4413 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

This. It needs to be a simple, fast shuttle. It needs to be cheap, easy, and reliable. Basically, it should just be a bus with wings.

Since I just flew the YYJ to YVR and back on Air Canada... they are just buses with wings.

The issue here is you are in the air for only 12 minutes.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4414 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:09 AM

Maybe Harbour Air should consider making an investment in larger aircraft, if possible? 

that's not really a thing.

the twin otter has The Most Capacity of Any Production Seaplane

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#4415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

Ah, yeah and it's not very big. 22 seats or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4416 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:30 AM

Since I just flew the YYJ to YVR and back on Air Canada... they are just buses with wings.

The issue here is you are in the air for only 12 minutes.

How much extra time other than the 12 minutes did it take you? Security procedures, luggage waiting (if applicable), customs (if SEA), buffer time (boarding starting 30 minutes+ prior) etc. etc.

Nothing of that is like a bus.

#4417 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

How much extra time other than the 12 minutes did it take you? Security procedures, luggage waiting (if applicable), customs (if SEA), buffer time (boarding starting 30 minutes+ prior) etc. etc.

Nothing of that is like a bus.

Frequency is really my only complaint when taking the puddle jumper to YVR and SEA. Well, that and Customs at SEA and YVR can be pretty bad if you time it behind too many pan-Pacific flights. 

I just flew back via YVR the other day and had a 3 hour layover at YVR. Not the worst thing in the world as I had to go through Customs, walk like 5 miles and had time to grab lunch, but it still would have been nicer to have a 1.5 or 2 hour layover instead. 

If Westjet and Alaska up their service to YYJ I think I'll be happy. From a customer service perspective I prefer them anyway to Delta and especially United, which is probably the worst run major airline in North America. 

One very nice thing about YYJ is it is a very nice facility. It's MUCH nicer than YLW. 

#4418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

Huge crowds anticipated at Kelowna International Airport

Kelowna International Airport (YLW) is anticipating huge crowds in the coming weeks.

Recently named the 10th busiest airport in Canada, YLW says more than 100,000 passengers are expected to pass through its gates over the next three weeks due to spring break in provincial high schools.

https://www.kelownan...tional_Airport/

those kids must hate the planet.  don't they teach you in school not to fly?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#4419 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

social media:

kelowna

9029 twitter

7962 facebook

2851 instagram

// 19842

saskatoon

4157 twitter

14911 facebook

1269 instagram

// 20337

victoria

5828 twitter

2829 facebook

1556 instagram

// 10276

edmonton

29749 twitter

49443 facebook

7229 instagram

// 86421

halifax

25168 twitter

18342 facebook

1833 instagram

// 45343

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• jonny and Missed Approach like this

#4420 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:12 AM

...If Westjet and Alaska up their service to YYJ I think I'll be happy. From a customer service perspective I prefer them anyway ...

Agreed. Alaska is my preferred carrier for US travel.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users