• 1,994 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

Both

#4442 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:23 PM

Some interesting news:

Pacific Coastal adding a second 6 day per week flight between YYJ (Victoria) and YXS (Prince George) starting June 23

also saw;

Delta is making it's YVR ( Vancouver ) to ATL ( Atlanta ) a year round service from seasonal with 737-9 aircraft.

Alaska ( Horizon ) has shifted it's first flight out of YYJ from 545am to 535am and their last flight into YYJ which use to arrive just before midnight, now arrives at 0010hrs or 1210am.

can't be winning fans with those timetable times....

Edited by Missed Approach, 15 March 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#4443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Delta is making it's YVR ( Vancouver ) to ATL ( Atlanta ) a year round service from seasonal with 737-9 aircraft.

Hmm...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4444 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

Hmm...

It's the 737-900ER model. From the Next Gen series. Delta has no MAX aircraft in its fleet.

#4445 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

I wonder if Boeing will eliminate the MAX name and rebrand the aircraft with a different designation when they are eventually fixed. I bet they will. I can't remember a more feared plane since the DC-10.

On a completely unrelated note I learned that the last civilian 707 in existence crashed in Iran in January.

https://en.wikipedia...oeing_707_crash

#4446 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

Some interesting news:

Pacific Coastal adding a second 6 day per week flight between YYJ (Victoria) and YXS (Prince George) starting June 23

also saw;

Alaska ( Horizon ) has shifted it's first flight out of YYJ from 545am to 535am and their last flight into YYJ which use to arrive just before midnight, now arrives at 0010hrs or 1210am.

can't be winning fans with those timetable times....

I would assume that the earlier first departure and later final service will increase the number of available connections, or at least allow for a less frantic run through Seatac.

• Nparker likes this

#4447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

I wonder if Boeing will eliminate the MAX name and rebrand the aircraft with a different designation when they are eventually fixed. I bet they will. I can't remember a more feared plane since the DC-10.

On a completely unrelated note I learned that the last civilian 707 in existence crashed in Iran in January.

https://en.wikipedia...oeing_707_crash

I've given a lot of thought to this. Is this enough to break the 737 lineage and start fresh with something like the 797, or will a software upgrade with additional training requirements relegate the groundings to a part of aviation history from which we learned a great deal, improved safety standards, and became better for it?

Hard to tell at this point. But what we do know is investors aren't overly concerned about Boeing's ability to build safe aircraft and get back on course (at least not currently).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4448 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

when a passenger jet plane only really has a few hundred buyers (airlines) worldwide and these buyers are very educated does the model number really matter so much?  i'm certainly old enough to remember the bad name the dc-10 got back in the late 70's early 80s but i'm still not sure many changed plans/panes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#4449 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

There are over 5,000 pending orders for the MAX variants.

#4450 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

It's a tough one for Boeing for sure. The 737 has long been one of the safest and is the most popular plane on the market, but the casual traveler doesn't know how the Original differs from the Classic which differs from NextGen which differs from MAX. Heck, the NextGen has a crazy impressive hull loss rate of 0.27 per million departures.

As for Boeing 797, that's expected to be the upcoming replacement for the 757 and 767 series'.

• Mike K. likes this

#4451 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

I think it’s just some bad luck. yes there is a problem (but like with most crashes it’s not just one issue there were senser(s) not working etc.) but bad luck the timing of these two crashes were so close to one another. spaced out by another year and there might not have been much notice.

#4452 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

don’t forget the 737 was the bad Florida vakujet crash the Alaska plane that went upside down off the pacific coast here and the Hawaii plane that lost an entire roof section along with a cabin attendant.

#4453 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

in 2005 they had 5 fatal 737 crashes. 6 in 2007.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2019 - 02:09 PM.

#4454 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:18 PM

^Which is pretty crazy considering that as I type this, there are currently 1,894 737s in the sky across the planet. They truly are one of the safest planes on the market. Basically one takes off every couple of seconds around the globe.

• Jackerbie likes this

#4455 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

more than one a minute anyway.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#4456 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

I think it’s just some bad luck. yes there is a problem (but like with most crashes it’s not just one issue there were senser(s) not working etc.) but bad luck the timing of these two crashes were so close to one another. spaced out by another year and there might not have been much notice.

No, it's much worse than bad luck. Boeing is going to come out of this with egg on their face. 

Boeing decided to put newer, larger, more fuel efficient engines on the MAX. Unfortunately, the new engines changed the handling characteristics of the aircraft, making the nose pitch up more, increasing the risk of stalls. Boeing implemented a new system MCAS, which is designed to automatically push the nose back down, to combat the back heavy center of gravity on the MAX. 

Thing is, THEY DID NOT INFORM OR TRAIN THE PILOTS ON THIS NEW SYSTEM. The poor SOBs flying that doomed Lion Air flight had no idea MCAS even existed, nevermind was actively trying to kill them. 

Boeing simply has stretched the capabilities of the 737 air frame too far, IMO. 

Now, the airlines are not blameless. They are the ones demanding more technology, lower costs and greater fuel efficiency. The First Officer on Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 reportedly only had 200 hours under his belt...(which is not even close to enough hours to obtain a commercial pilots license in Canada). 

#4457 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

just the system being there was not the cause.  at least one sensor was also faulty.  also do we know that the system has not saved dozens of crashes?  it "thinks" faster that's the point of it.

do we also know the pilots could have detected a faulty angle of attack sensor any better than the system could/couldn't?

the problem with stuff going wonky at take-off is there is no time to think let alone check manuals or check-lists.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#4458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

My god. The FO had 200 hours?

You have got to be kidding me. That MUST be his 737 MAX flight hours!? Surely?

Know it all.

#4459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 crashed shortly after take-off on Sunday, killing all 157 people on board. The cause for the deadly crash remains unknown and under investigation.

Its captain was Yared Getachew, who had more than 8,000 hours of flying experience, according to Ethiopian Airlines. In the copilot seat was someone with considerably less experience, Ahmed Nur Mohammod, who had just 200 hours of experience.

https://www.business...ht-hours-2019-3

#4460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:01 PM

Ho. ly. sh!t.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users